Chorus II versus KG 5.5

jhoak

Has anyone here done a direct comparison between these two models?

I currently have a pair of Chorus IIs and love them. A pair of KG 5.5 turned up locally and the smaller footprint has advantages for me.

I know that I'd likely be downgrading by going from Chorus IIs to KG 5.5 but just how much?

I have Chorus and 5.5 and for direct 2 channel listening, they are very different. Mids and highs are way better with the Chorus along with the low end as well. The bass just seems a little better with the Chorus.

The 5.5s work really well as mains for a HT set up.

I guess the best way to say it is that the Chorus' have much more detail. If you can get the 5.5s for a good price I say go for it.

Why don't you stay with a three way and go with a KLF20 Or you could build a taller sideways cabinet for your Chorus. Something else you could consider is a box about the same size as a KLF20 with the 15 inch woofer on the side rather than the front. Nice frontal look no negative interaction between the woofer and the mid. I like that idea best. Best regards Moray James.

I have both of these speakers as well and if you like your Chorus IIs and the Klipsch 3 way sound...you might be disappointed in the KG 5.5s for 2 channel sound (I'm not saying they sound bad but just that they are different than 3 way Klipsch)...HOWEVER...they do very well as Mains (mine are currently used full range with no need for a sub)...they can go LOW!...

Bill

I have temporary custody of a pair of KG 5.5's & find them to be a good rock speaker, they are just not in the same league as the Chorus II. The foorprint is not that much smaller, mostly in width. Giving up the 3 way Heritage sound could be something you regret. After downsizing your gear. the Chorus II's are the cornerstone of your system & mostly responsible for the quality of the sound you are now enjoying. I wouldn't give that up. JMHO.

I agree with Stephen about the three way Heritage sound Vs the two way KG sound. The only Klipsch Two way I would consider moving to from your Chorus would be either the CF3 or the CF4. They do require some power to strut but they can do so very effectively with the required power.

I just picked up a well worn and used but cared for set of Peavey SP-1's. These are what I would consider to be entr level big speakers A little wider than a Belle at 30 inches and as deep as a La Scalla at 24 inches and with a mid/hi horn (CH-1) which is 28.5"Wx18"Hx18D> These need new crossovers as the factory are cheap and they are over 30 yrs old but they do sound big and life like. Switching back to a tweaked up set of H3 with two subs sounds small in comparrison even though the H3 sound much better they are small. With horns bigger is better. The bigger your mid horn and the lower you cross the more pattern control you should have the better things will sound and you should also be able to monitor closer than with a three way. Seems counter intuitive but the bigger two way can work better in a smaller room than a three way can.Best regards Moray James.