How to get a project tube amp quieter?

JL Sargent

OK, I just got in and tried there ideas.

1) I swapped one of the ouput tubes from each of the two channels to see if the pairings might make a difference. No change.

2) I pulled the 7199s to see if I still had the hum and it's still there without the 7199s. Power supply? Maybe reroute or shield the AC lines in the chassis?

In your picture of the underside it looks like you installed a toggle switch at the lower left corner to serve as the on/off switch. Leaving the switch wired in, take it out from its location and fold it back so that the wiring is nowhere near the output tube sockets (fold it over the side of the chassis) and see if the hum persists (with the 7199s removed also.)

OK, with the 7199s out and the toggle switch pulled out and away the amp is 90% better. So I put the 7199s back in and tried it with the toggle switch still out and away and most of the noise is back?

Note: My "on" indicator lamp is 120v too. Maybe I should go with a DC lamp and move the switch to the back reducing the AC wires all together?

OK, with the 7199s out and the toggle switch pulled out and away the amp is 90% better. So I put the 7199s back in and tried it with the toggle switch still out and away and most of the noise is back?

Note: My "on" indicator lamp is 120v too. Maybe I should go with a DC lamp and move the switch to the back reducing the AC wires all together?

don't forget about adding caps to the 7199 275V circuts on the load side of the resistors (not on the rectifier side)

I'm with tube fanatic and JJKIZAK on this one. I think the physical location of the wiring ("lead dress") is at the root of the problem.

Does the hum occur if nothing is connected to the amp inputs? How about if RCA shorting plugs are connected to the inputs?

Once it is certain that the amp (not the interconnection of the amp with other equipment) is humming, try this:

1. Connect amp to speakers. Connect shorting plugs to amp inputs.
  2. With amp upside down, move wires around with a non-conductive tool (plastic ballpoint pen barrel?) and see if you can change the loudness of the hum.

The lead dress as it stands now does not appear to be optimized for minimum hum, so it could be coming from any number of sources and pickups. The power switch wiring and the filament wiring, as mentioned by others are likely culprits.

Try just a plain old switch with no indicator light and see what happens. Keep the switch and AC lines as far away as possible from any signal parts of the circuit.

another observation....you have AC heaters....you can only take that so far.....DC heaters are much quieter......but alot of folks think, myself included...that you get better dynamic's with AC heaters. You can temporarily by pass the AC heater supply and use a 6V lantern battery instead. If that meets your noise goal, then you have to convert to DC heaters.

Some great suggestions guys! I will be able to get after it this weekend. I'll go by the electronic supply and pick up those caps and I'll reduce my AC wiring to the bare minimum and see what we have then. Thanks a lot!

The coaxial leads from the input jacks to the 7199 (g1) grids could be configured so they don't snake around the JJ capacitor and run in parallel with a output transformer primary lead. The line signal input wires need to be as far away from AC and HV DC as much as possible. It may or may not help with noise.

The best approach with line signal leads is to mount the input jacks as close to the tube's input (g1) grid as possible. However, it's not the most esoteric and practrical procedure over having the input jacks at the back of the amplifier.

After trying several of the suggestions and with some troubleshooting help from Craig (phone call and several emails) the hum was not in the wiring dress or circuit per sey. The problem ended up being that I hadn't put a bottom on the amp. I was listening to the amp with bottom open and stacked on my tube pre. So the pre amp was picking up AC noise from amp. I had some thin stainless sheet laying around, so I fashioned a bottom for the amp, screwed it to the chassis and presto. It's so much quieter now. I can only hear it idle with my ear against the squawker at this point. I needed a "ground shield" between the pre and the amp.

Last summer when Craig helped me rebuild this amp I was using it with a SS NAD preamp. In this setup the tube amp's excessive gain seemed ok. But with the tube pre amp I had no volume control. About 1/4 turn would be very loud. Craig suggested we add more feedback to the circuit by reducing the feedback resistance. I tried several different resistors until I had a good volume control and I couldn't be happier. We have been listening to the system every day since.

post-34863-13819711489842_thumb.jpg

post-34863-1381973420433_thumb.jpg

post-34863-13819764165474_thumb.jpg

post-34863-13819790965868_thumb.jpg