Need help choosing subwoofer.

PittViper

Hi,

My last post regarded bookshelf speakers. Now, I would like to know about subwoofers.

What I want is a relatively loud, very clean and musical, 10" powered sub for my sysem. In this area, I am really confused. I wanted to keep with Klipsch subs, but I have heard there are better subs out there in my price ranger. I wish not to spend more than 250 to max 300 on the sub. People have talked about polk and velodyne subs.

So, given my price parameter, what would you suggest?

Thanks,

Viper

If you are in a small or medium size room, maybe consider a micro system like the HD 500 by Klipsch. The satellites are clean and well defined with music and the sub will more than cover you bass needs. This system can be very loud and still sound excellent. I own one and have no complaints with it's quality. If you will be doing nearfied listening then bookshelf speakers will be better. The micro system will give you the option of multichannel audio/video entertainment. The satellites can set in the bookshelf, lol.

What I want is a relatively loud, very clean and musical, 10" powered sub for my sysem.

so this will be a little harder to meet this criteria in your price range. you could spend some time and maybe be able to find something used for that amount. new you could try this: http://www.amazon.com/Velodyne-Impact-12-12-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B001HMN1LU/ref=lh_ni_t

velodyne is a great company. i had a few of their lower end subwoofers when i was younger and they were great!! however i have not heard this one so i am not sure how it would sound.

aloso not sure if you could up your budget a bit but i hear great things about these companies as well:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_41&products_id=951

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers

the svs are a little more expensive, but i can tell you i just got one and they are amazing. and if you could hold off for a while there pb-12nsd gets great reviews and would probably be all the sub you would ever want and would last you a long time if you took care of it. all food for thought. everyone preaches on here to wait and get what you want so you dont get the upgrade bug down the road, cause it ends up costing you more. good luck with your search let us know what you end up getting! [Y]

• Moderators

Really loud, very clean and musical, very inexpensive = hard (but not impossible) to find

If I had that budget, this is what I would be looking to buy - Velodyne SPL8BG2 . It's only an 8" driver but should work fine for a small room with it's 1000 watt RMS amp. I would take a Velodyne over a Polk any day. Many moons ago, when I worked at Circuit City, we had Infinity, Polk and Velodyne subs. The Infinity just didn't hit hard enough, the Polks we kept blowing and the entry level CT Series Velodynes just sounded fantastic, no distortion at high volumes and were solid performers.

I like the elemental design a3-250 sub. It is going for $450 on their site. Has anyone here heard this sub?

It is way more than I wanted to spend, but the consensus here seems to be that you can't really get a decent

sub for less than &400.

Given the fact that I ~almost~ have decided to spend 450 on a sub, sight unseen, can you reccoment other

subs in the 400-460 price range that may be better than the aforementiioned?

Thanks,

What I want is a relatively loud, very clean and musical, 10" powered sub for my sysem.

Stretch your budget a bit and get Scrappy's RSW-10d. It is all the things you mentioned and more(except more $$$). Very, very, very musical and accurate and pretty darn loud. Very punchy and fast.

Very brief but interesting take on it's performance.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/80433.aspx?PageIndex=1

Bill

I have an RW-10d I think sounds pretty good. I think you could probably find a used one for right in your price range. It would be a pretty good option for you if you really needed it now, but as was said before, it would be well worth your time if you could save your pennies for an RSW-10d. In my, unfortunately somewhat limited, experience, a sub is something you should spend some money on. It really brings the entire experience to life.

I am in more of a quandry than I was before! There are so many subs in the 10" class, with prices

ranging from very inexpensive to downright rediculous. I do not need the sub immediately, so on this

item I will have the opportunity to save. The only sub out of any of the ones I have looked at

online that I can actually demonstrate is a 10" Klipsch, and I don't even know the model right now.

After reading these forums, I really trust you guys and will be eventually be taking a leap of faith based

on your collective opinions. Where can the RW-10d be had at the most reasonable price?

TIA,

Viper do yourself a favor and save a little longer and wait for a good sub. Something in the rsw line if your wanting klipsch. 300 limit doesn't leave you with much. Move up to 450-500 range a few more months down the road and you will be much happier in the long run. 99% of the guys on here would agree with that. Other wise it cost you much more in the long run. Happy hunting!