SW-112 Subwoofer <<Question>>

PravinE

Hi All,

I need your advice to connect Klipsch
SW-112 with Denon 3312. Let me explain my current sound system configuration.

Klipsch RF-82 (Floor standing)

Klipsch RS-42 (Surround)

Denon 3312 (AV Receiver)

I am happy with above configuration,
but still I am missing very low frequency (BASS). So I decided to go for
Subwoofer. Today I ordered Klipsch SW-112 Subwoofer, it will reach my home in
few days. I am very curious to know the recommended settings in Receiver and
Subwoofer.

So far in Receiver Sub is OFF, so I am
getting the low frequency in RF-82 (Front). I will make ON after connecting the
SW-112, but not sure what settings have to configure in receiver.

1. Shall I configure less than 100
Hz in the receiver for Sub Out?

2. Shall I configure LOWPASS
Control to 100Hz in Subwoofer ?

Pls advise me the best?

Best
Regards,

Pravin Ebenezer

well sir congrats on the new sub purchase. if you havent had one before movies are going to be a whole new experience for you. with that being said, my personal preference is to set all your speakers to small. probably can do about 50 or 60 on the rf-82's, not sure what you have for center, and then i have my rs-42's set at 100 on the crossovers. then select sub yes, and i would probably cross it over around 80 if you set your towers at 50. that way they roll off towards each other and you get a good blend. you can always adjust as neccessay till you find what you want, cause in the end that is all that matters!! let us know how it turns out for you

Thanks... I don't have center... I am happy with front which also delivers center sound also. [:)] basically i mentioned Center = None

I don't understand how u made RS-42 at 100 on the crossover... is there any conf in the recevier?

Uh ok first off let me say that by running no center and letting your towers try and make up for that, you are missing out on a lot!! Center channel is number one speaker in home theater. 70% comes from it!! And as for your back speakers you should have crossovers in your receiver menu to set all your speakers differently. Where are you located at?

As Scappydue said, 70% or more of the dialogue comes from the center channel. To simplify things, you can use a univeral X-over of 80 and get good results. When you get the sub, placement will be the biggest factor to get great bass. One way to do this is to place the subwoofer at you sweetspot and walk around the room and see where the bass sounds best. This will be the best location for your sub. Congrats on the purchase. I like the universal x-over and not setting the towers lower. No reason to try and have the towers do the work of the sub. It will help eliminate phase, re-enforcement and cancellation issues at certain frequencies. This is not the only way, but it is simple and gives excellent results. When selecting x-over settings, it is a good rule to set the x-over 10-15 higher than the speakers lowest frequency response.

would you not want to set the sub Xover/roll off at the lowest setting possible (that your mains will still cover) so there is as little interference as possible with the mains? Or do you want some over lap?

which in the case of the 82's is around 33hz

Hz in the receiver for Sub Out?

Control to 100Hz in Subwoofer ?

Pls advise me the best?

Best
Regards,

Pravin Ebenezer

I've got an older Denon 3300 with a Klipsch sub, set up in my gym.

Hz in the receiver for Sub Out? YES

Control to 100Hz in Subwoofer ? Can't answer without direct experience...

For HT the LFE or .1 channel is a production channel for movie sound enigeers to pass the low frequecy sound through. The subwoofer Lpf should be set at 120 in the avr so that you get all the LFE that the engineers placed in the channel. Think of the subwoofer as a playback channel. It will only play things below the x-o setting you pick for the sub. It is commonly recommended to turn the sub x-o all the way up or turn it off. Setting all the speakers to small allows bass management from the avr. Bass management is taking all the low frequency form the surround and other bass limited speakers and combining them into the .1 channel with the LFE to be played back by the subwoofer. Setting speakers to Large= no bass management. Most tower speaker cannot handle low bass as well as a good sub. I have 4 tower speakers and use the setting of SMALL. Some people do not like setting their towers to small, they paid good money for them. But, that is not the issue, it is good bass management. Music playback is also very good in this type of setup. I hope I am not miss something from some of the post.

• 1 month later...

I heard another Klipsch system with the KLF 20's and the guy did not use a center speaker. He had a Phantom center using the KLF 20's and it was very nice. I never knew how well that Phantom center business worked. It is a great option if you don't have a center channel yet.