Record store day

The Dude

I am just going to say it RDS has become a cash grab. Long lines at the local with lame hipster youths paying way too much for a RSD 10" release is ridiculous.

Everytime I go to the record store is record store day.

I wouldn't argue with that, but I don't get out much so if I have to make a day of it. Plus there is only about 2 records I am really after.

The list of good stuff is really long this year. There is a lot I am interested in, I'm just not going out to fight the crowds here.

I wish I had crowds to fight (not really, I know what you are saying) I would have to drive 50 miles to go to a record store. Used to have a few to enjoy. :( Support your local record store (more than one day a year.)

I read that vinyl sales were up 20 percent last year as opposed to all music sales being up only 1 percent. That's awesome! We may see some more releases on vinyl if this keeps up. Let's hope the record cutters keep the quality high and don't treat the medium as novelty.

Today 4-21 is the official day. One day after 4-20. What a coincedence?

Ok. This was my first Record Store Day and I, for one had an absolute blast. This was at Good Records in Dallas. I called last night to find out when people started showing up and was told 4am. I got up at 3:30am and drove to Dallas to arrive at 5am. I was 4th in line. 1st guy and his girlfriend had been there since 1:30am. Had an absolutely great time with the front of the line guys--basically we talked for almost 3 hours as the line formed....BEHIND us. All of these guys were just fans. No flippers among the first 20 or so in line as far as I could see. Guys in the store were working frantically getting all RDS merchandise out AND merchandise for all the local bands that were playing today--are still playing as I type this. The store was supposed to open at 8am but the manager came out and said they were ready and the first 15 of us went in at 7:30am. All the store employees and volunteers were great. Can't recommend Good Records enough as they had most, but not all, of the RSD list. Only 1 Wilco (limited to 250 nationwide). Only 3 Ralph Stanley. And of course they only had a few of some of the smaller limited runs and yes, I did miss out on some that I wanted. But then, someone else missed out because of what I got.

I have to say that I found that there were a lot of young "fans" there who stood in line for hours for 1 or 2 7" or 10" records and who left absolutely excited about getting home to listen to their treasure. I'm just glad to see young people excited about vinyl and independent artists. It actually restored my faith in the latest crop of pierced pirates. And there was a good mix of ages while I was there. Old farts and young squats...we all like vinyl.

So I guess it's time to see what followed me home...

Oh, by the way, all the Record Store Day Bags had a gift vinyl and sampler CD's from a lot of small record companys. Even a book of matches.

Here's a list of the free stuff:

New West Records "On Air at World Cafe", compilation of their artists.

Death Row Records , Compilation CD

Anti Fall Sampler CD

Decca Records compilation for Record Store Day CD

Southern Ground Artists Volume 2 Compilation CD

Selecto-O-Hits Limited Edition Sampler CD

LOW CD

New West Records All-Stars and Rookies 2011 CD

7" Vinyl KNaan, Dylan Cover "With God on Our Side" and "Waiting is a Drug" on B side\

Here's what I had to pay for. These are all limited editions for RECORD STORE DAY 2012 release:

THE CLASH, 7" "London Calling", 4900 pressed, Coumbia Records

BOB DYLAN, 7" Box Set Inidivdually Numbered Mono titled, "Can you Please crawl out your window. Legacy Records

JOEY RAMONE, 7" "Rock N Roll is the Answer", 2500 pressed, BMG Records

RUN-DMC & CAROLINA CHOCOLATE DROPS, 7" Coke Bottle Green Vinyl, "You Be Illin", original version and cover. Series called Side by Side.

3000 pressed, Warner Bros.

JAMES BROWN, Unreleased Live at the Apollo,"There it Is/Pass the Peas", 3000 pressed, Universal Music

BLACK PRAIRIE SINGERS, 7" vinyl, vol. 1: Portland, 1000 pressed, Sugar Hill Records

STAX, 7" Box Set, "Never to be Forgotten, The flip side of Stax 1968-1974" 4000 pressed, Light in the Attic Records (this is a cool label)

THE BEATLES, 7" Box Set, Numbered with poster. Capital/Apple

RALPH STANLEY10" 78 RPMVinyl, "Single Girl/Little Birdie", 500 pressed, Tompkins Square Records

THE FLAMING LIPS AND HEADY FWENDS, 2xLP, Custom Jacket and Psych Colored Vinyl, 10000 pressed, Warner Bros. (support your local weird band!) Rumor has it all the members of the band gave blood and it was mixed with the vinyl at the pressing. Fact or Fiction?

MILES DAVIS, 12" vinyl "Forever Miles", unreleased on vinyl till now, 4900 pressed, Columbia

DAVE BRUBECK OCTET, 10" red vinyl, "distinctive rhythm instrumentals", 2000 pressed, Fantasy Records

JANIS JOPLIN, Double 10" Vinyl, "Highlights from the Pearl Sessions" (w/Parental advisory sticker) 4800 pressed, Columbia

JANIS JOPLIN, RTI Pressing of "Pearl"

PHISH, "Junta Deluxe, Pollock Edition" 3xLP w/Signed & Numbered Limited Edition Hand Carved Hand Printed Linoleum Block Poster by Jim Pollock.

2500 pressed (first Phish Vinyl), Jemp Records

LEE HAZLEWOOD, "The LHI Years", 12" Vinyl, pressed, Light in the Attic Records

SKIP JAMES, LP, "Devil Got my Woman" , 1000 pressed, Vanguard Records

LEONARD COHEN, EP, "Live in Frederiction" Columbia Records

THE KNACK, 10" vinyl red & yellow splatter, "Live in Los Angeles, 1978" ,1500 pressed, Omnivore Records

DEVO, 2XLP, "New Traditionalists, Live in Seattle 1981", 2000 pressed, Booji Boy Records

plus, the manager gave me a DEVO poster announcing this LP for Recrod STore Day.

LOU REED, "Transformer" RCA

ALAN TOUSSAINT, LP, "Life, Love and Faith", Four Men with Beards Records

TOWNES VAN ZANDT, LP, "At My Window", 1000 pressed, Sugar Hill Records

I missed a lot of things in the fray but everyone was very helpful, even the other shoppers. Everyone was trying to find titles for people when they couldn't find them and lots of polite grabbing and jostling. I have no idea if it degraded into a riot after I left, but I had a good time and was driving home by 8am. I missed out on some of the important blues on my list but got most of the jazz list checked off. Not all, but most.

Now for a thrift store shopper, the prices were NOT discounted in any way. You DO pay a premium for RSD releases. But, hey, it's once a year. AND it's a great way to support your local record store...and believe me, THEY NEED YOUR SUPPORT or they will disappear.

Looking back on it, my first Record Store Day was about as much fun as you can have with your pants on. I'm sure it's very "store" dependent but in Dallas RSD was mellow. I never did make it over to Bills Records as I had work to do later. Though I did go to Denton and get a couple of vinyls of local Denton artists for a 15% discount.

Can't wait till next year!

This was my first record store day as well, we were suppose to have 4 record stores participate I think 3 of them just said they were for free publicity. As for the one I went to and purchased records I was looking for, it was pack and you can tell who was there just to get them to flip which I will know today since there is a record show later on today I will see the flippers there. I picked up 2 that I went for. I know there will be some left over in about 6 months later. One of the ones I wanted was Ozzy's poke adot 7" believer, there was supposed to be about 4400 I guess this record store only got 1, if anyone comes across this let me know. I do try to get out every once in while and purchase either records or Cd's, As I am not big on buying or stealing music on line its just not the same.

Here is a link to some photos from Slate magazine of shopping at record stores. The older photos were really interesting to me in that it shows predominately females as the store customers. I don't know if this was reality or marketing but interesting store layout none the less. Also interesting to note is the photo with the department dedicated to tie-in the movies and shows.

http://www.slate.com/slideshows/arts/record-store-browsing.html

• 7 months later...

After scoring a nice Dual 1239A of off Ebay I have decided to expand my record collection. Here is the first 15 [:D] 1,25€ a pop.

1. Parnass Bach-Edition - Jagdkantate
    Bach-Collegium Rilling

2. Parnass Bach-Edition - Kaffeekantate, Bauernkantate
    Collegium aureum

3. Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach - Vier Orchester-Sinfonien
    Ars Rediviva-Ensemble / Milan Munclinger

4. DGG Konzert Für Millionen
    Richter Karajan Oistrach Böhm Kubelik Fricsay

5. Galakonzert Für Millionen 3
    Karajan Böhm Kubelik
    Edith Mathis, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Fritz Wunderlich uva

6. Konzert Für Millionen 5

7. Konzert Für Millionen 70

8. Konzert Für Millionen 2

9. Neujahrskonzert der Wiener Philharmoniker
    Lorin Maazel
    DGG Digital Club-Edition

10. Das Tor zum Paradies der schönen Klänge
    2 LP Doppelalbum Philips

11. Chopin Klavierkonzert Nr.2
    Adam Harasiewicz / Heinrich Hollreiser
    Orbis

12. Träumerei - Schumann Schubert Bruch ua

13. Play Bach No.1 - Jacques Loussier - DECCA SLK 16167-P

14. Mendelssohn Sinfonia No.3 / Mitropoulos
    Longanesi

15. Passion und Auferstehung
    Heliodor

I listen to classical but have no Ideas if I will like these. Next in line a Pink Floyd collection where I am still haggling with the seller and a 50 Album collection (late 60-70 Rock) that I would like to score on Ebay if the price stays low.

I hope the bug has not bitten me [:|]