Klipsch Jubs are a clear winner for HT?

derrickdj1

They're not all old, either. Some of them had La Scalas in their college dorm rooms.

Okay, maybe they're old now, but I sure wish I'd been listening to Heritage for decades, not just for the last six years.

Colour me envious. YesStick out tongue

They must have gone to a different college than me. My dorm room wasn't much bigger than a LaScala. I did have a friend with a pair of Heresy's in his dorm room, though.

I be one of them guys. I had a pair of LaScalas AND a pair of ElectroVoice Interface D's stuck in my dorm (and later apartments) in college.

As Islander says.... maybe they're old now...

This is a picture of my dorm room. Please disregard the bag of Cheeto's Embarrassed In the corner, you can see a big boxy speaker and yes, it took the entire wall.

As for Pat's enjoyment for the last 6 years... well.... write me in at 33 years.... Indifferent

So I guess it's good and bad to be written in for 37 years. I don't feel old.

In fact, if one were willing to go avant garde with placement, it would be possible to get away with fairly small speakers while maintaining a satisfying HT surround-sound experience...

I'm dead serious... I love the way you worded that.

I'm reading it and have visions of speakers essentially surrounding the listener (like the Bose demonstration Kiosks). Many people would have various descriptions of that. I loved yours.

I built my own speakers since I was 12. In college, at 19, I had twin TV console cabinets with ported plywood boxes. Each box had two 12" co-ax speakers (Utah brand). So I had 4 woofer and 4 tweeters to listen to until I could afford to buy Altec 511 horns, 421 8H woofers, and EV T35 tweeters. Sold those at 23 and got a loan to buy Khorns, followed by a mono center LaScala 6 months later.

So yes, we heritage guys know better. If you look at my Avatar, you will see I now have better than Khorn or Jubilee performance with the addition of a Tapped Horn Sub. Why settle for 40 Hz. for music and HT when you can have 15 Hz in an 18 ft. horn?

I built lots of speakers up to 19, then I discovered Khorns and got LaScala and nuff said.

Maybe these old guys with the Heritage stuff know something that I don't,

We do. Large, straight axis horns that go to 60-80 Hz. with Tapped Horn subs are them most efforless, ultra low distortion, most lifelike with ambience and micro micro detail and definition of "inner voices", sharp transient response and dynamics of whisper quiet to thunderous output, bordering on home destruction.................yes we do know............All done with less than 10 watt peaks per channel. This maintains linearity because all voice coils become non-linear at about 10% of their rated power............thermals are a killer, so you want to do it with the least watts possible.

In fact, if one were willing to go avant garde with placement, it would be possible to get away with fairly small speakers while maintaining a satisfying HT surround-sound experience... within practical acoustic limits once again.

You sound like a Bose salesman now.....may as well use headphones if that's the case. I do the same thing with careful placement of REAL pro Theater speakers and use MILLIWATTS with 1 or 2 Watt PEAKS. Guess whisch setup has inaudible distortion and NO dynamic compression at 105 db??!!

....may as well use headphones if that's the case.

I suggest you try it out for a few years before you poo-poo it entirely...that's part of being a well-rounded listener.

http://www.binauralairwaves.com/

And try this one on for size (especially Marine Le Penn, inside the Église, and in the Gare Saint-Lazare):

http://soundlandscapes.wordpress.com/category/binaural-recordings/

Good luck getting that sound-stage out of a set of speakers in a room, for under $30.

They're not all old, either. Some of them had La Scalas in their college dorm rooms.

Okay, maybe they're old now, but I sure wish I'd been listening to Heritage for decades, not just for the last six years.

Colour me envious. YesStick out tongue

They must have gone to a different college than me. My dorm room wasn't much bigger than a LaScala. I did have a friend with a pair of Heresy's in his dorm room, though.

I be one of them guys. I had a pair of LaScalas AND a pair of ElectroVoice Interface D's stuck in my dorm (and later apartments) in college.

As Islander says.... maybe they're old now...

This is a picture of my dorm room. Please disregard the bag of Cheeto's Embarrassed In the corner, you can see a big boxy speaker and yes, it took the entire wall.

As for Pat's enjoyment for the last 6 years... well.... write me in at 33 years.... Indifferent

Nice looking reel to reel unit.... Is it still in use?

Nice looking reel to reel unit.... Is it still in use?

Of things in that picture, I still have the receiver, LaScalas, 3bx, equalizer.

I decided I was going to get out of vinyl and found myself using CD's more than RTR.... so, I called a good friend of mine in Cincinnati (4/5 hours away) and asked if he wanted them, no strings attached.

Not only did I give him my turntable and all LP's, I gave him my RTR and the associated dbx unit that went with it, cassette deck AND I packed it all into my car and hand delivered it to him.

I am under the belief that they are all still in use, just not by me.

Interestingly, of all the things I gave away, I really miss the RTR the most. Just something nice about those.

Edit:

Oops...I forgot which RTR was in picture. That was my FIRST one. I gave that one to my father (now long gone, I think he broke it & pitched it). I replaced it with the Akai GX-747 and it was the 747 that I gave to my pal.

.....and NO.... I am not giving my Jubilee's away to anyone yet. [:P]

....may as well use headphones if that's the case.

I suggest you try it out for a few years before you poo-poo it entirely...that's part of being a well-rounded listener.

http://www.binauralairwaves.com/

And try this one on for size (especially Marine Le Penn, inside the Église, and in the Gare Saint-Lazare):

http://soundlandscapes.wordpress.com/category/binaural-recordings/

Good luck getting that sound-stage out of a set of speakers in a room, for under $30.

Back in 1976, I got the best dynamic and electrostatic headphones that my discerning ears could find. I got the Stax, which had to have a really good amplifier to drive them. They sounded amazing, but so did my AKG 240's. the AKG's became the world standard headphone in recording studios and are still being made and used today. I sold the Stax because they were less comfortable and I preferred my Klipshorns and LaScalas to headphones in general because very few recordings were made with a recording head with two ear microphones. Those binaural recordings are amazing, though, I agree, but very rare.

Overall, my system now sounds better than my headphones to me. No brag, just fact.