Pics of the RF-83's

Youthman

• Moderators

In order to install my bass traps behind my false wall, I moved my RF-83's out into the room. I hardly get to see them so I figured I would snap a few pics of them out in the open.

Klipsch-RF-83-01.jpg

Klipsch-RF-83-02.jpg

Klipsch-RF-83-03.jpg

In my haste, I neglected to dust them before taking pics. The front bottom of the third pic is dust, not two scratches.

• Moderators

Viper, at first I didn't catch what you were saying until I read dtel's post. Must be sleep deprived. Thx for the correction.

They look beautiful man! Too bad they have to be behind the false wall for safety all the time.

Yeah, I struggle with that sometimes. I really like the "finished" look of the false wall but I miss having the RF-83's out in the open. On the flip side, at my last house, because of the layout of the house, the RF-83's sat partially in the hallway as you entered the living room. Guests were CONSTANTLY leaning on them, putting cups on them and one lady thought it would be a great place to put her purse. I guess I would rather keep them out of sight and safe and be able to open the doors to show them off than to always have them in view of the public and all of the neighborhood children that are constantly in and out of our home.

• Moderators

im not worries about "hiding" them as much as i am protecting them. if i had the 83's in the open, they would disappear once the lights went out. actually, ive never had a desire to "upgrade" my 83's. i like them that much

Same here! I feel like I would have to spend upwards of 15,000 before I felt like I was upgrading them more than just 'sidegrading'. And since I don't plan on ever spending that much on speakers unless I win the lottery, I really don't mind the thought of having these for life. I also happen to think they are the best looking reference speaker Klipsch has offered.

If I had RF-83s, I'd show them off! Heck, I'd even bring them out to the street for everyone to see! :) heheee...well maybe not.

I love the look of the RF series. The size and colors are perfect fit for my HT. In my search to upgrade my RF-3s, I was actualy looking for an RF-83. Not too many out there now days.

I feel ya man. I'm totally paranoid that someone will brush up against, set something on, spill something on my speakers. It's especially difficult because we are in a smaller place about 900 sq ft, and my left channel is almost right in the walkway of the hall. One of the many reasons I'm looking forward to being a home owner again, and hopefully somewhere that'll give me a spare room for my speakers. In fact I'm pretty sure the wifey would love to get my system outta sight too, so it s a win win [:D]

• Moderators

dtel, nothing wrong with old style. [;)]

viper, here is a pic of my previous house we lived in. As you can see, the entertainment center took up the entire width of the wall so the speakers had to protrude into the walkway area on both sides. Just an accident waiting to happen.

2318186364_21c29db4d5_z.jpg

• Moderators

They do have the best looking cones of any speaker I have seen.

I agree. At first I did not care for the RF-7's cones because of the black dustcap but after owning two pair, I've grown to appreciate the beauty in both styles. The RF-7's kinda blend the old style with the new with the copper cone and black dustcap. I've always preferred the modern style of the Reference Series and especially the darker (Cherry and Mahogany) finishes.

• Moderators

Here is a side by side shot of the RF-83's and my previous Maple RF-7's.

5353816810_f06f2ab76e_z.jpg

I'm tempted to bring my son's black RF-7's into the HT and get some shots of them together and do some more A/B comparisons. I might even tuck the RF-7's behind the false wall to see how they sound back there compared to the RF-83's. I'm guessing they might have better imaging since they are not as deep which would allow me to toe them in more towards the listening position.

• Moderators

They both look nice but I like the all copper cone better, but I do like the black on the front of the RF-7 better, or does it just look like that in the pic (darker black) ?

• Moderators

The front panel on the RF-7's are definitely darker than the RF-83's. The RF-83's are more grey in color instead of deep black.You can see in the first image below the RF-83's are a lighter shade than the RF-7's.

5353815698_7f5288344e_z.jpg

RF-7's front next to velodyne with piano black finish

CF2andRF7-2.jpg

CF2andRF7-3.jpg

• Moderators

Your right Ivan, Yes it is, very nice room Youthman, I would like to watch a movie from right where that pic was taken from with either set of speakers. [:P]