Lascala II audition w/pics

Congratulations on your new speakers. Your review was the type of talk that makes all of us crazy for more. Your spreading the deadly virus of upgradeitis to us all. Enjoy your new setup and thanks for sharing.I've been thinking of getting something new and I can move these speakers upstairs aaaaaaaahhhhh !!!!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

AHA. First time I have seen the guts of a LS II. Had many L S in my life, a few for DJ work in the 80's, and 3 at home. All with modified AA's and K33 and 43 woofers.

I'm sure a HUGE part of the improvement with the LS II is in the network, where they MUST kill the 7 db peak at 140 Hz. or so in that bass horn. Once that happens, the rest is easier to deal with. Having a sub means this will trounce a Cornwall I, II or III........a 3 way Jube with Active Xover might trounce the LS II, but it would NOT be pretty and get no respect from the other half.

This is one of only two pictures I could find with the grills removed and it looks like there was a revision at some point as to how the tweeter was flush mounted. Since I don't like the look of these with the grill removed it doesn't really matter to me. The resolution on this picture makes it hard for me to tell if this is actually the prototype pair that was made completely out of ply.

post-39044-13819738285498_thumb.jpg

post-39044-138197689421_thumb.jpg

post-39044-13819795993248_thumb.jpg

Lascala II pictures

Very nice! Thanks! How do they sound at home?

I am just as happy with their sound as I was with the CWIII's. The only thing I miss is the size of the Cornwalls. I am sure once I get them into a larger listening space they will shine even brighter. The room they are in now is pitifully small.

post-39044-13819738302862_thumb.jpg

post-39044-13819768958208_thumb.jpg

post-39044-13819796009316_thumb.jpg

I am sure once I get them into a larger listening space they will shine even brighter. The room they are in now is pitifully small

Did you try toeing them in a little more, until the speakers are pointing directly at your listening position? Also, if you have something like a large bookcase that can be placed on the outside of the left channel, perpendicular to the front wall and backed up to the speaker. This would help to balance the stereo image a bit and give you deeper lf response.

My $0.02.

Enjoy! Those are nice!

Chris

I'm sure a HUGE part of the improvement with the LS II is in the network, where they MUST kill the 7 db peak at 140 Hz. or so in that bass horn.

We were told that the increased thickness of the side walls, to 1", also made a big difference. Something to do with side wall resonance.

Did you try toeing them in a little more....

It would only take a sec to try the toe-in.

+3 !! [Y]

40-45 degrees....even in small quarters like you have them. Doing so will give you a much larger sound stage and really clean up the midrange output from the right channel.

Nice pics BTY!! Man, check out that crossover network and all those coils. [:|] It's like the Formula-1 version of an AL from the outside. [:P]

Cheers,

QH