CD Horn for a Two Way

I've an active crossover that has a CD Horn Boost feature, graph attached.
Is this enough to consider a M2380/Faital HF200 (or HF204) combo to cover
everything from 500Hz and up to make my project as a two way design (I already have my bass bin), or are the M2380's doomed to be for midrange
only in a threee way configuration?

graph

A good idea can be had if you have the driver's power response curve when mounted on a tube (pure resistive load). This will show the upper end roll off point and the roll off rate. This is what you are trying to boost with the CD eq function.

I just finished doing this on an Altec 288 fitted to an EV HR6040. I had been running an EV DH1012 on this horn, and that driver just needed the upper end CD eq. However, the 288 needed some bottom end work as well.

So, the answer seems to be, measure the response you are getting and dial in what you need to get it right.

I am using a MiniDSP active unit to do this, and the really nice freeware package REW to make the measurements. This combo made relatively short work of the process.

That EV is one cool looking horn. Reminds me of the Altec 511/811 with some dividers knocked out. It that cast metal? For my build, retro-like aesthetics are somewhat important. That's why I am having a hard time warming up to the Faital LTH142 Tractrix horn, it looks too modern. Bob indicates that it is a great horn for the HF200, but in my mind, the M2380 has a better 'looks cool' factor.

I used a M2380 horn with a HF200 driver... Bob had a modifed crossover that added boost for this application. It sounded great.... I used for 6mo till I could upgrade to Dave Harris Eliptical horn. The M2380 is a great horn for the money... and does work in a 2way setup... I have used it!

Spec sheets are assuming a PA aplication, you need to see the terminated tube graph to really know. Most 1.4" drivers will do 300hz on an appropriate horn.

My Klipsch 1133 Drivers are 2" throat on a K402, and they do 300 Hz. I only use one capacitor, so it's fist order rolloff electrically, and 3rd order mechanically.

For 85 db level at my sweet spot, I only measure about 10 milliwatts of power at the Xover input (based on voltage squared over 8 ohms), so it's safe.

The EV is fiberglass. That 18 Sound horn mentioned further down in this thread looks really cool. Pity it doesn't load lower. If you are looking for a retro type of look, and you are good with the loading to 500 Hz, you might look at the EV HR90 or HR60. These are the little brothers to the great whites, EVHR9040, HR6040. They are much easier to deal with in terms of size, and fit a rectangular opening with a full bezel around.

-M

Many of the more popular commercial speakers that use CD horns come with spec sheets that provide the exact parametric EQ settings to use. An example is Peavey. Our church uses SSE1594s which are 2-way with CD horns and the spec sheet spelled out everything I had to load into the processor. I had to tweak very little from the provided settings.

With a little investigating you can save a lot of frustration if you go with something someone already engineered.

I use the Klipsch K402s which came with engineering support.............and even so...........they were a bear to get just right.