FYI Emotiva Sale

akdave

My Marantz is also 3D capible which I don't think the other is. And I really like my Marantz so its hard to fall in love w/ something you dont have.

Chris,

You may want to look into this. Gorm is unloading his Klipsch RSW12 subwoofer and it is a very musical and powerful sub. He lives in Iowa also. It may be sold but worth a try. I know you have some gear to unload yourself, maybe a trade or something is in the cards?[^o)]

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/164654.aspx

Bill

Can I get an explaniation on what the major difference is between:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/umc1

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xda1

I guess I'm not real sure on what a balance DAC is used for? Ok and I know this isn't part of the thread but how many ppl use a line conditioner or is that my monstor power strip I'm using?

A DAC is just for hooking up a source, like a CD player, that has digital outs. It would most likely be better at converting that digital signal to an analog signal, giving better sound quality. I believe the difference you will be able to hear is going to be dependent on your speakers. You will probably hear a lot more difference between the two if you are running P-39f's than you would if you were using an HTIB.

As far as understanding balanced vs unbalanced, I found a pretty good and easy to understand writeup HERE.

The difference between the XDA-1 and the UMC-1 is the XDA-1 is only going to convert a digital signal into the left and right analog channels, while your UMC-1 will be able to do everything a processor can do like add room corrections, apply crossovers, decode, etc.. Usually, the XDA-1 would sit between a digital source, like a CD player, and the UMC-1. So you would hook up your CD player to a digital input on the XDA-1 and than hook the Analog Out on the XDA-1 to an Analog In on the UMC-1 and theoretically, you would get better sound if you just hooked the CD player right to the UMC-1.

CD Players was just an example, it could be used for anything that has a digital out. The UMC-1 is essentially what I just described, except for blu-rays, but with added functionality like volume, room correction, etc. I am not sure if anyone has ever developed just a DAC in a box like the XDA-1 but can do 7 channels. Usually, they are incorporated into the blu-ray player itself, as well as the prepro, and you just have which ever has the best DACs do the decoding. Not sure how much of a market there would be for such a thing because of the law of diminishing returns as well as just adding another link to the chain.