Has anybody shipped Chorus I's or II's before?

I am in the process of selling my Chorus II's to Rob (jhawk92) and need to ship them to him. I plan on doing this thru UPS Ground and have spoken with them. They will ship them for $65.08/ea if I drop them off at the counter. This includes insuarance of $350/ea.

The problem is that I will have to pack the speakers myself and have to do it within a size limitation. The speakers themselves are 39" high x 18.5" wide by 15.5" deep. They have a maximum of 130" girth which calculates to (W x 2) + (D x 2) + H. Also, you need about 2 inches of foam around the entire speaker, and the cardboard itself has to stand up to a certain strength test. That means I will need a box that will be 44" high by 22.5" wide by 19.5" deep when you factor in the styrafoam. By using the math from above that comes to 45w + 39d + 44h equaling 128". This just comes under the size limits. The problem is, where do I find a box with these exact dimensions? Can someone help me here? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mike,

Mailboxes Etc. (although pricey) might be a good place to start. I seem to recall they have large wardrobe boxes that might fit the bill. For a recent shipment, I had them score the box to my specified size, so I could fold it to my specs. They have a big cutter in the back room meant for jobs like this.

HornEd has mentioned shipping via pallet(Pax Global??) for larger speakers. He can probably give you all the details. I seem to recall they'll only deliver to business addresses or perhaps their own satellite locations, but I think the shiping fees were not too bad.

Colin

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by chickey on 06-03-2002 at 10:52 AM

I think I have found a pair of La Scala's that are 3.5 hours away. I'm talking with the guy about them and might get them if the price is right. Rob and I have known about this transaction for a few months now, and he's finally ready to get them. I will be keeping my Chorus I's for surrounds and am looking for Cornwalls or La Scala's as my new mains. The only stipulation is I pick them up locally. I can't afford the shipping...

Mike

Mike

The reason why i was asking, do the chorus 1s sound better than 2s, i have 4 1s?

Just courious!

I SHURE DID FALL IN LOVE WITH THE CHORUS, IM likeing them as much as the cornwalls! Dam laptop!

Right on, as far as the la scalas, are you sure you dont want to keep the chorus with more bass though?

Regards Jimb

I like both Chorus speakers equally. I feel as though the I's bass, although not as deep, sounds a little tighter to me. The other reason for selling the II's is I felt I could get more for them, even though I am selling them to Rob for a very fair price (imho). As for the La Scala's, I would really like to own a complete horn-loaded speaker and this is the only one that will fit in my family room. Also, I have a SVS 20-39CSi that I could mate with them for the bottom-end. If I don't end up with these, I'll just keep looking. Smile.gif

Mike

boa - I hear ya buddy! My next house will be built specifically for Khorns in the listening room. Smile.gif

flason (Mike) - Sounds like a plan. Not sure what's gonna happen. I see somebody posted a link to the Scala's in the Updated Speakers section. You can't hide anything from this board. Biggrin.gif

Mike

True, this is the tightest low end, ive ever had in the house here!

I do hear the lack of low end, in some music, over the cornwalls!

But on the other hand, 4 cornwalls was to much bass for this house, thats for sure!

Ive been enjoying one set of chorus, on a pioneer \SX 950, the other set on the outlaw with HT!

Thats right, i have 2 channel, and HT here in the same room again LOL!

Chorus, flat on the pioneer SX 950 rocks bud.

This room is way to small for even these LOL!

I caint wait to hear the K-horns in here!

Regards Jim

This message has been edited by Jim Cornell on 06-03-2002 at 01:43 PM

Mike - Also, you might want to check FedEx ground. I found them to be quite a bit cheaper than UPS on a recent shipment of a woofer driver.

Packing will be critical -- I bought a 90 lb Velodyne 15" servo sub on Ebay a couple months ago, and it was shipped in the original packing. It didn't hold up to Brown's handlers, though, and was pretty dinged up when it arrived. Wound up settling the damage claim with them and they took it off my hands.

I don't know how Klipsch packed the Chorus originally, but my Forte boxes (and KG4 boxes) basically have a styrofoam "tray" in the bottom of the box that the speaker lays in, and the styrofoam came up the sides about 6-8 inches. Then, a matching "tray" fitted down on top of them in the box, effectively surrounding them 100% with foam.

Doug

------------------

My System

I will be talking with a guy from Mailboxes, Etc, tomorrow afternoon. I believe he will be making a custom box that will allow for 2" of foam all the way around (at least that's what I'm gonna ask for). When I get the pricing, I will post it here...

Mike

Guess I'll chime in here as the recipient of these lovely speakers. Mike and I have been working this deal for several months and he is correct, he is giving me a VERY fair price for them. They are in great shape, and will match up well with my OO Forte IIs, slated for surrounds, and KG 1.2s, which will move to rear center. And with my Academy up front, I'll move past sonic cloud 9 to cloud 11 or higher.

Doug-

Interesting packing for your Fortes. My Forte IIs had only foam corners that the speaker rested on, not the whole tray as you described. Oh well, maybe the cost bug hit Klipsch packing department.

Mike-

You are quite a gentleman in this deal. Wish there was some way I could give feedback for you. Maybe put in a good word for those LaScalas for you?

Rob

Doug - I will check with FedEx Ground on their pricing and shipping requirements.

Rob - It's the least I can do for you. You went above and beyond the call of duty when you got me the signed PWK books. I know the S/H/I is gonna come to $130 and change. I'm not sure what it's gonna run for custom boxes, styrafoam, etc. I'll give you a shout tomorrow afternoon. I will also check FedEx Ground to see if they can do better. Somehow or another, we will get this thing worked out...

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 06-03-2002 at 03:04 PM