Pioneer SX-780

NOSValves

How does this amp Linkage stack up as Solid state goes ?? descent sound ?? sure looks nice. Does it compare with the 70s marantz stuff ??

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

NOS - I OWN one of those, however it hasn't been hooked to my system for many years. It's living at my Dad's doing daily stereo duty (hooked to - gulp - B*S* speakers). When I bought my KG4s, I upgraded from the SX-780 (which had been an upgrade from the ever popular Modular Component Systems from Jacque Pennier) to a NAD 7155(?).

The SX-780 is still going strong, but I can't offer any comparisons to the Marantz. Just excited to see someone actually looking at one!

Doug

------------------

My System

Doug & Boa

Well it really looked cool and the funny thing is my Dad has one of the SX models can't remember which one. He has it hooked to some speakers that I can't remember either although I do remember it sounded pretty good and pulled stations in well. In fact my younger brother blew more than one set of speakers with it in his teenage years ( needless to say my Dad was pissed LOL !! ).

so I went ahead and bought one off ebay today in perfect condition wood case and all. I've been looking at Marantz but they go for way more than I'm willing to spend for SS and most have something wrong with them either lights or channels out.

I'm hoping that BOA is wrong and just going by the Marantz Hype on this one.

Craig

can't believe i fell for that. Smile.gif if you're hoping I state on hype rather than ear, then you better hope I have a bad ear &/or memory. could always be taste too Wink.gif and jmo.

man these brand/component comparisons are too much work. never again. try one of the vintage marantz if you get a chance though. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Boa

I have and that's what started all this LOL !! a friend brought a 2235 over that was only working intermitten(He was given it for free). I took it apart sprayed all the Pots and tapped on this weird relay and away she went LOL !!! He had to buy a bulb kit no big deal $8 .

I was real impressed with the sound of the Unit. It didn't sound as good as my Scotts but not to far off. I thought a nice SS unit for my friends to use as a comparision would be a nice toy to have. They just go for to much money so I opted to try the Pioneer. I bet it sound close myself. Time will tell !!

Craig

Mdeneen,

Your being hard on me there !!! If you can find me a Marantz in perfect like new condition with 40 to 50 watts RMS per channel for $125 or better yet and a Mac. I will buy it in a second Smile.gif

I'm just not willing to pay $300 to $400 for any SS amp !!!

Craig

craig, pioneer always did have great tuners. Smile.gif i think i can say most of those vintage ss receivers will

at least keep up w/ the mass market units of today. in most cases blow them away. imo you got a lot more for your $ in quality components in those days.

i was a bigtime audiophile in the 70s. read as much stereo review & high fidelity mag as rolling stone. also spent more time in the stereo shops than the pinball arcade. Smile.gif i'm only active here now after dean's "feedback" & have to rely on recall after being sidetracked by the new digital contraptions. Biggrin.gif

do still have my kenwood kr9600 wired in the stereo room though. got new in '75 & it's still goin after a few overhauls over time. the thing is a monster & puts put some good quality high power.

the quad pioneer wasn't a fair comparison. well, the quad fiasco speaks for itself. i did also have a pioneer integrated for a while & it was a solid unit.

think it had like 40WX40W, but it was quality.

i have a marantz sr8000 now & it still seems to have the excellent stereo sound i remember from the marantz

receivers in the 70s. the blue lights & gyro tuners.

so i've had or have marantz, sansui, kenwood & pioneer in the past. the pioneer quad receiver doesn't count though. i'll just say they're all great compared to some of the mass market receivers today. but then again they don't do surround. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

The Pioneer Sx series were OK for the price but not really audiophile in any but the loosest definition of the term. In other words they were a hello of a lot better than anything you would find in a mass market console and certainly better than the el cheapo component brands such as Realistic,(although Rat Shack did accidently offer a gem of a receiver - probably unknowingly). That's another story 8~)>

This is not to suggest that anyone running an SX should trash the thing and run rather than walk to the nearest dumpster.If it sounds good to you then it is good.

The unit I elude to above was branded as a Realistic.

Now to end the tease:

One of the old Realistics,(Sorry I don't recall the model number/name but it was ca. 78/79), was actually built by Hitachi and was a slightly tarted up version of one of the mid-range of Hitachi's ST series of the same vintage which featured a "class G" output stage.

Simply stated:

A class G amp operated in class A or class A/B mode until a point was reached where the amp's maximum power output capability was approached at which point a second power amplifier stage would kick in and provide a massive increase in head room.

I have a Hitachi ST 2004 which is rated at 200w/ch with the class G setup which allows the power amplifier to go to 400w/ch on peaks. When I bought the L'il bugger I seriously doubted that claim but given the reviews I had seen - I decided that I wanted it anyway. About 2 years later a problem developed and I took it in for repairs. The repair shop had a MacAdam Analyser and after the necessary surgery ran a test to determine the units maximum output capability.

In any event the standard load resistors could handle a maximum of something in the order of 600 watts RMS. I was not present - so I cannot testify to precisely whaddddahelll actually happened but the clerk sheepishly informed me that the ST 2004 had caused the load resistors to literally explode and their tech's best guess was that that S.O.B. was cranking something in excess of 750 watts per side when he was momentarily blinded and deafened by the demise of the load resistors.

I don't use that monster anymore as I have no need for that kind of power to drive my KLF-30's but if anyone ever tries to stage an audio p*ssing contest......

BTW .... anyone interested in my ST 2004??

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 06-03-2002 at 09:13 PM

Craig-Here's a good informational link for you, if you haven't seen it yet:

http://www.classic-audio.com/

And another (actually a different, but similar site):

http://www.classicaudio.com/

Here are MSRP's and years of manufacture for some above-mentioned receivers, gleaned from http://www.classicaudio.com/:

Pioneer SX-780 $399 ('78-'80)

Pioneer QX-747 $650 ('74-'76)

Marantz 2235 $450 ('75-'76)

fini

edit: I guess I should have checked your linkage before replying (oops). Well, maybe you haven't seen the second site...

This message has been edited by fini on 06-04-2002 at 09:08 AM

Geez, guys!!!

Isn't running down the 1970's era s/s receivers a bit on the weird side?

You gotta remember...in those days, the manufacturers of the better s/s models had the attitude that they would do their best to produce a component that met or exceeded the quality of the best tube components of the time!! That was their goal!!

On a receiver, they wanted a great tuner section, a great pre-amp section, and a damned good amplifier section...and producing multi-megawatts of power at the expense of CLEAN lower power was not the primary goal, as later s/s receivers tended to have!!

Hell, I have been running a 1975 Harman/Kardon 900+ ever since I bought it new back then...and for a s/s, it is incredibly clean sounding!! Heritage love to be powered by it!! At the time that it was new, I coulda bought just about anything I wanted...why did I choose it over others? First of all, I wanted quad!! And I also wanted CLEAN watts!! The fact that this particular model also had so many other bells and whistles was just fine with me, too!! Why H/K, instead of other company's models? Pretty simple...reputation for quality!! Why not Marantz? Pretty simple...I saw Marantz models going into the shop for repairs all the time...it wasn't the same quality it had been a few years earlier when Saul B. was still with the company!!

If I had it all to do over again, would I go for the Marantz? Nope!! Like I said...in 1975, I saw em going back to the shop for repairs all the time...that is why I didn't buy one then!!

If I could have bought anything available at the time, what would I have bought? Well...having a "pre-amp out" module installed in the H/K and the thought of having a couple of McIntosh stereo tube amps still kinda appeals to me!!...just like it did in 1975!! Smile.gif

Do I still think I made a good choice in a quad receiver? Hell yes!! Around 1990, I took the old H/K into the shop here where most folks around here take their high-end stuff to have it gone over. The old tech there loved the opportunity to go through it!! He made a point of telling me how clean it sounded for a s/s model!! AND...when he tested it...it EXCEEDED every new spec given out in literature on it when it was originally advertised...he was quite amazed!! Can't beat that with a stick where I come from!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 06-04-2002 at 09:19 AM

great link fini. thanks! i passed it onto my bro in seattle whom i dumped the pioneer QX-747 on to get the big ken. went out on him though a few years later but he still has it.

those big ken kr9600 are a hot ticket. does have some girth, watt meters & 2 phono inputs (all still working).

funny how the makers go through their quality phases over time. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Pioneer QX-747 quad receiver: 4-channel/stereo tuner-amplifier with two built-in matrix decoders and CD-4 demodulator. Power output 20 watts rms per channel (four channels) into 8 ohms with 0.5% harmonic distortion, 20-20K Hz, four channels driven. Outputs may be strapped into stereo mode to provide power output of 40 watts rms per channel. Frequency response 30-15K Hz (+/- 1 dB), hum and noise -70 dB (phono input). IM distortion 0.5% AM/FM-stereo tuner with 1.9uV FM sensitivity(IHF). S/N ratio of 70dB, stereo separation 40dB with 0.4% harmonic distortion. Selectivity 60dB, capture ratio 1.0dB. Tuning meter, defeatable interstation muting, defeatable loudness circuit, illuminated 4-channel audio balance display with sensitivity selector,connections and control for noise reduction adapter, 4-channel and stereo tape monitor circuits, electronic overload protection circuit, FM detector jack. Regular matrix decoder and full-logic SQ decoder, CD-4 demodulator. Outputs and switches for two sets of 4-channel speakers. Front-panel 4-channel headphone jacks. Size 22x6-1/4x16-1/2in. Wt. 42 lbs. MSRP in 1975: $649.95

Harman/Kardon 900+ quad receiver: 4-channel/stereo tuner-amplifier with built-in matrix decoder and CD-4 demodulator. Power output 32 watts rms per channel (4 channels) into 8 ohms with 0.5% harmonic distortion, 20-20k Hz, four channels driven. Outputs may be strapped into stereo mode to provide power output of 90 watts per channel. Frequency response 4-70k Hz (+/- 0.5 dB), power bandwidth 10-40k Hz, hium and noise -75 dB(phono input), IM distortion 0.15%. AM/FM-stereo tuner with 1.8uV FM sensitivity (IHF), S/N ratio 70 dB. Stereo separation 37 dB with 0.5% harmonic distortion. Selectivity 35 dB, capture ratio 1.6 dB. Tuning meter, defeatable interstation muting. Joystick 4-channel balance control, high and low frequency filters, defeatable loudness circuit, one 4-channel and one stereo tape monitor circuits, outputs and selector switch for two sets of 4-channel speakers, front panel 4-channel headphone jacks. Matrix circuit decodes SQ and has universal mode for other types of matrix material. 4-channel FM/AUX inputs, switched enhanced stereo circuitry to play stereo material in simulated quad. Size 20-1/4x17x6-1/4 inches. Wt. 45 lbs. MSRP in 1975 $998.95.

Nope...don't think I wanna buy that Pioneer, besides....the H/K 900+ still works just fine!! Smile.gif

------------------

Boa....As for Lynn's unit...I am more into a few CLEAN watts from s/s for my heritage speakers than I am into powering all the houses on the block with wattage!! LOL!

The "puny" but relatively clean 32 watts per channel of the old H/K in quad mode are more than enough to power my Heresys to the point of having pissed-off neighbors, anyway!! Besides, if I wanted to REALLY piss-off the neighbors, I can strap those amps in the H/K for 90 watts per channel in stereo mode, can't I? Just requires me to throw a switch....pretty simple!! Smile.gif

------------------

Here's a big pic of my old Pioneer SX-6000 from mid 70's. The only comparable unit I've seen sold in the US was an SX-9000 model. It's still capable of delivering good sound after a good cleaning of knobs and such.

SX6000.JPG

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 06-04-2002 at 08:14 PM