Cornwall's, Cornscala's or Altec model 19?

gyrene

My Cornwalls are beat up looking but sound just fine.

They have the Crites crossover in them but all else is original.

Now I can't decide if I should build or hybridize the cornwalls into a set of Cornscala's or look at a set of Altec model 19's.

Has anyone heard the Altec 19's? Am I splitting hairs?

I don't have deep pockets so I can't buy them all and try them out.But a thousand here and a thousand there and pretty soon you're talking about some real money.

What do you guys think? Would be using a Fisher 500 tube receiver and Marantz CD player through a Musical Fidelity DAC to listen to jazz,female vocals and some pop-ish type music.No more rock and roll...well not that much anyway.I'm too drained for excess rock.

If not the Fisher tube than a Sansui integrated AUGX 77ii with the same cd player.

Moderate volume levels unless the wife goes crazy and cuts loose...as can happen with the correct music.Pray for me.

If this is in the wrong slot I apoligize.I don't write much but I read much.Please relocate it if necessary.Thank you.

If I had a pair of cosmetically or electronically challenged Cornwalls, no doubt I would transform then into Cornscala's . . . And try it on my own . . . In the end, if you did not like them (which I doubt), you have dramatically increased their value for resale to another Klipsch-maniac (like me) on this forum! Start a rebuild thread if you do . . . People on this forum would love to help!

I have 19's and have owned 2 pairs of Cornwalls, to me there isn't much of a comparison here. From what I have read the Cornscala is a much better comparison. I dont think it is a matter of splitting hairs, alot of this has to do with your musical tastes. Altec's sound very different than Klipsch speakers to my ears. One good thing about Cornscala's if they are on par with M19's, is that they are much smaller than 19's. I am sure someone has heard both and will be able to chime in..

I don't know how much different the bass department is between the Cornscalas and the 19s are. But you could build split bass bins/top hats and swap out the k400/k77 top hat with the altec 811b top hat and decide for your self. Heck depending were you are located, if you wanted I have a pair of EV Regency cabs you could have to play around with too. I was going to use the cabs as bass bins and build separate top hats to play around with until I located my KHorn bass bins.

I'm no expert by any stretch, but I was faced with the same situation acouple years ago. I bought some cosmetically challenged Cornwalls, raw birch with some chips in the plywood edges. I ended up deciding on a cheap refinish and swapping out the mid horn. I went with Dave Harris' Fastrac, used the supplied router template, sanded the cabinets, applied a red mahogany stain, and a couple coats of satin Deft. They still have the B2 crossovers with new sonicaps from Crites. I am powering them with a refurbished Scott 299C and couldn't be happier (for anywhere close to the money spent anyway).

I think ACM went for the best bang for the buck with his choices. The Fastrac will give you a big improvement IMO. Next steps would be ALK cornscala-wall networks and then Crites CT125 tweeters. You will no longer have economy speakers but they will sound soooooooo good! You can set the fastrac on top if you are timid about cutting into your motorboard. I'm leaving mine on top so I can put them back to original if I choose.