Umc-1 Issues

roaddog359

Well I hate to say it but my UMC-1 has been having some issues, that I have been working with tech support on but nothing has worked and they want me to send it in to be looked at. Anyone else having any issues? Here is some of the things mine is doing. 1. When I go into level calibration I sometimes do not get sound out of a speaker this is random and usually the left side speaker but not always. 2. When I turn the system on the volume is set at my preferred listening level however the sound is much lower, turning it up does little, so I have to switch channels or turn it off and on to fix this. 3. While watching tv audio will drop out several times during a show. 4. While watching tv I will loose video, and have to turn the umc off and on to fix. 5. While watching tv I will loose audio and video, and have to turn umc off and on to fix. I think that is it for now. Anyone having these issues? I am running a directv hd dvr HR-24 with latest firmware and my tv is the new sharp 70 inch in my signature. Emotiva wants me to pay to ship it to them, but I am almost thinking about just buying something else as these issues are getting the wife upset because she does not know what to do when this happens. I hate to pay to ship to them and they say they cant find anything! I would be without for at least a week and the cash for the shipping could go to another receiver. I may have to look at the denon and marantz again. If the UMC work without issue I would be very happy with it. I was waiting for the XMC but now I am second guessing that choice if these issues cant be fixed. How is everyone elses UMC-1 working out? I am wondering about this receiver from Denon!!!!!!

http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?PCatId=AVSolutions(DenonNA)&catalog=DenonNA_US&CatId=AVReceivers(DenonNA)&Pid=AVR3313CI(DenonNA)

Sorry to hear you're having so many issues with the UMC. Both of mine work pretty much flawlessly after the latest firmware updates. I did have some drop outs with the cheap little Directv box but upgrading all of my boxes to the nice DVR boxes that record fixed that. As far as shipping it back to Emotiva, call them and they will sell you a very cheap lable to print and then ship it back. I only paid $33-$34 to ship my XPA-2 back which weighs 90+ lbs boxed so the UMC won't be much at all.

I have audio dropout sometimes on my right speaker after messing with a lot of settings, but that's really the only issue I have now since I updated the firmware. You might want to check your firmware though first before you send it back. If it isn't the latest, update it, and it should fix all your problems. Make sure to use the newest files from the UMC-1 page at emotiva.com and use the alternate method for flashing found in their forums. I believe it is stickied. They are supposed to have the newest firmware installed, but such was not the case with mine.

I wouldn't dismiss the XMC though because of your problems with the UMC. From what the owner of Emotiva has said, they will not allow a product to be released in the market without it being somewhat bug free. If it's has as good as it's anticipated to be, it's going to be one hell of a prepro for the money, especially if you got an upgrade card.

As usual I got the answer [;)] Reflash with new FW, If that don't work you have to send it in.You can't sell it until it's fixed so you may as well fix it, maybe $20 shipping is not the end of the world.If it's fixed you may want to keep it, if it still don't work for you sell it.The UMC is not the unit I would buy for my family, kids etc... to use, I consider it more for the discerning music lover that wants some HT occasionally, imo.

try reflashing the firmware. The firmware upgrade can be buggy sometimes. Your HDMI cables can be the culprit too sometimes. Try with several different HDMI cords, buy some from monoprice.com. I only say this to you because i was having some real issues with screen blinking and it turned out to be the cables that were screwed up. I am talking changing out all of the cables. Bring down the system to its simplest form and slowly start adding things. If this doesnt work, send it into emotiva for repair. If i were you, capture video of these issues if you can.

• Moderators

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm using the next to the last FW version and I do not have any of the issues you have mentioned but I do not have cable either. Many of the umc-1 issues seem to be with cable boxes

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm using the next to the last FW version and I do not have any of the issues you have mentioned but I do not have cable either. Many of the umc-1 issues seem to be with cable boxes

I think you may be right there Youthman. If I bypass the cable box I dont think I have the issues. Thats why I dont think it will do any good sending it in to emotiva. Then need to do a firmware fix to resolve these issues.