Eliptrac 400 and miniDSP make the difference

bracurrie

I spoke with Dave Harris several months ago and decided to try his Eliptrac horns. Coupled with the Faital HF200 driver the result is very satisfying. I am using the MiniDSP and with some trial and error strictly by ear I now am hearing nuances in music I thought I knew very well.

Just in case I was fooling myself I brought a good friend with thirty years experience in the high end audio business to listen and maybe suggest a teak or two that may improve the setup. He has always been highly critical of horns, but he loves the Eliptrac/Faital combo and voluntered that it was the first horn high end setup that he could listen to for extended periods. He was also impressed by the miniDSP's flexibility to change crossover settings, time delay and EQ on they fly while listening.

When he realized what I spent to get this kind of result he just shook his head and commented that a lot of people that know music (here in Nashville) spend ten times as much and do not get as good an outcome.

Thanks to Dave and Bob Crites for the help along the way. I just hope I resist the irresistible urge to make changes to the other parts of the system for a while.

The system:

Audio Research SP6

miniDSP

Adcom 535 on the high end Eliptrac/Faital horns

Phase Linear 400 on the Jubilee clone/Crites bass horns

I do not own the PL amp, but have a chance to buy it for 350 dollars. I know the reputation is that they blow up and as a result a good many have been modded or otherwise are ruined. This one is a one owner that was sold by my above mentioned friend. Its been opened recently and its operating to specs. I have used it for a month or so with no issues.

post-48022-13819739328548_thumb.jpg

post-48022-13819769993466_thumb.jpg

post-48022-13819797106346_thumb.jpg

Really nice review, I also have the Eliptrac 400 but with the DE85TN drivers, sounds great-no fatigue.

I really need to try the mini dsp, I have an ashley and behringer, Dave suggested I use the mini.

More great amps for low $$$ is the Emotiva gear. Dave has several, very impressive sound.

Craig 73

Nice review but...

Your Bass bin looks upside down Hmm

Ah, but of course. No really, I mounted the casters so I could move them easier. But discovered that I liked the bin on the floor, so I turn them upside down. I can do that, can't I? [:^)]

Guest David H

I spoke with Dave Harris several months ago and decided to try his Eliptrac horns. Coupled with the Faital HF200 driver the result is very satisfying. I am using the MiniDSP and with some trial and error strictly by ear I now am hearing nuances in music I thought I knew very well.

Just in case I was fooling myself I brought a good friend with thirty years experience in the high end audio business to listen and maybe suggest a teak or two that may improve the setup. He has always been highly critical of horns, but he loves the Eliptrac/Faital combo and voluntered that it was the first horn high end setup that he could listen to for extended periods. He was also impressed by the miniDSP's flexibility to change crossover settings, time delay and EQ on they fly while listening.
When he realized what I spent to get this kind of result he just shook his head and commented that a lot of people that know music (here in Nashville) spend ten times as much and do not get as good an outcome.
Thanks to Dave and Bob Crites for the help along the way. I just hope I resist the irresistible urge to make changes to the other parts of the system for a while.
The system:
Audio Research SP6
miniDSP
Adcom 535 on the high end Eliptrac/Faital horns
Phase Linear 400 on the Jubilee clone/Crites bass horns
I do not own the PL amp, but have a chance to buy it for 350 dollars. I know the reputation is that they blow up and as a result a good many have been modded or otherwise are ruined. This one is a one owner that was sold by my above mentioned friend. Its been opened recently and its operating to specs. I have used it for a month or so with no issues.

Wow, thanks for the nice write-up.

Dave

I would think for the Jubilee, you would want to cross somewhere around 600hz.

The Mini DSP has a limited amount of configurable EQ's, so you may want to address only the problem area's. I suspect 50-200hz.

The HF using Daves horn and the Faital Pro is reasonably flat, wont need much if any EQ.

Craig 73

I have them crossed at 650hz using BW 6db/oct slops. Mid range sound intergration(if there is such a thing) is not as good as it should be, IMO. I would also like to tackle the problems down below 40hz to the extent that's possible. I have REW and a mic that came with my DBX driverack (not currently in use). There are calibration files available for the mic, but I understand the adjustments are generic and maybe not specific to the my mic. I agree that the HF using Daves horn and the Faital are indeed flat and wonderful. I tried them alone at low volume and was amazed at the sound.