Outdoor Speaker System with Ipod

• Moderators

I used a T-amp and plugged in an old am-fm discman player which could be switched for the I-pod I would think. It plugged in with a headphone jack on one end and RCA on the other.

Now I use a Pioneer car stereo that has preouts, you can plug in a I-pod straight into the front of the radio or just use the radio for am-fm or CD's. I use the preouts on the radio and connected it to a crown D75 amp, 30 wpc.

The radio gets HD radio also but where we live I am lucky to get one station, if the wind is blowing right ! [:|]

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=240-135

post-11804-13819739842598_thumb.jpg

post-11804-1381977050465_thumb.jpg

post-11804-13819797649316_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Some kind of amp, a cheap T-amp or any amp would work.

Your using the I-pod as a pre-amp going to the amp then the speakers.

When you first try it put the volume all the way down on the I-pod, and raise it slowly. In end I had the little Cd walkman set about half volume and used the volume on the t-amp as the volume control. It was a little $30 t-amp at like 10-15 wpc at the most and it did well. It really helps to use an amp with a volume control.

Dont you still need a piece of equipment between the ipod and the speakers ?

Sorry, I thought that was a given. Your i-pod will be your source. You'll need to hook that up to either an integrated amp, receiver or pre-amp/amp combo (or straight to an amp as dtel suggested). From there, run wires to your speakers.

Dont you still need a piece of equipment between the ipod and the speakers ?

Sorry, I thought that was a given. Your i-pod will be your source. You'll need to hook that up to either an integrated amp, receiver or pre-amp/amp combo (or straight to an amp as dtel suggested). From there, run wires to your speakers.

I know nothing about an ipod nor would I ever own one. I do not care for them as a source for my system. My buddy ask me this question for one of his customers for music in the pool area and thier daughter uses an ipod. Thanks for the help.

If that's the intended use, I'd suggest a 2 channel receiver. Most have tuners which might be handy if the i-pod toting daughter isn't arround, and you have aux inputs for CD players, etc. They'll have an inboard amp also, so he'd have one less component to buy. Many have remotes which can be handy also.