Need to pick a 5 ch amp

allgonoshow

Folks , I am selling my Onkyo 809.

I scooped an Anthem AVM 50 , used.

http://www.anthemav.com/products/anthem/a-v-processor/avm-50v-3d

Mine is the previous version, not 3d

I would like to find the best choice for an amp to go with it.

First option would be the Anthem PVA 5. They are running about $800 used in Canada.

http://www.anthemav.com/products/anthem/amplifier/pva-series/pva-5

My Klipsch set up is..

RF7ii, RC62ii, RB61ii and rw10d. in a big room. 20x37 with 9 foot ceilings.

Yes, I know I should have a RC64ii, it's on the list.

Not much sound damping at this time.

Rears are placed at about 15 feet back from fronts

Emotiva, Outlaw and few others come to mind. What do we think would compliment the above for under 1k.

Music and sound stage considered over volume. Warm, not bright.

There is an Acurus 5 channel amp with 200 watt/c in the Garage Sale that looks brand new that would work well for you. The seller may help work out a deal with you.

I was going to suggest same amp until I saw the OP is in Halifax. If Bill was gonna ship north of the border that baby would already be sitting in my set up here in Toronto !! [:'(]

i am quite satisfied with my outlaw 7125. its 7 channels but you could biamp your 7's if you really wanted to. I am just not using the 2 extra channnels right now. I had the xpa-5 previously and while a good quality amp, it had a high noise floor leaking static into all of my speakers. The outlaw is silent as can be, crisp and neutral sounding. It may be les power when directly compared but i will say this, i have had my 7's at ear piercing levels and the amp still had more gas to give. In a normal-large size room, its quite a formidable amp.

I've been very happy with my Emotiva XPA-5 and they are on sale now till the 3rd. Would be a hard deal to beat if you are looking for new or used. But as SuBXeRo mentioned, there is a very slight hum coming out of my speakers. Higher quality RCA cables cleared it up for me enough that I can't hear it unless I have my ear up to the tweeter, but others have not been so lucky and had to return. They also got the XPR-5, but that might be overkill and I haven't heard if that one has the hum or not.

You are correct of course, that item is a long way from the Anthem that I bought.

I just got freaked by the price.

So my local dealer can get me a new pva5 around $1600. not bad.

Used are hard to find.

The Acuras above sounds great but is 200w and I'm thinking 125 is where I need to be. I haven't checked the price.

He may not want to ship to Canada, which is no different from shipping from Newark to Queens, just an extra piece

of paper.

I'm not in a rush, existing gear would be great if I didn't have this bug to have more stuff.

It's all good

There are some used Anthems in Toronto and Montreal area.

This Aragon may be an option. Same amp as my Acurus A200FIVE but with fancier chassis/faceplate and two extra chanels.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649011182-aragon_2007_thx_ultra_2_7_x_200_w_amplifier/

There is an Ontario forum bother(JRegier) that uses the same amp to drive his RF-83 system and he says it does not miss a beat.

JRegier's System Profile

RF83
RC64
RS42
RT-10D
Aragon Stage One
Aragon 2007

Bill