Heresy I of different years

Vito

Help!

After 21(!!) years I discovered to have a couple of Heresy I (serials HWO 92T278 and HWO 93U301 ) of different years (1979 and 1980, as shown in a my sub in Powered Subwoofers). This wasn't good for my soul.

Could there be something bad in their sound? I don't listen any difference, but I can't listen them to high volume.

Thanks to everyone

The only difference I am aware of between a 1979 Heresy and a 1980 Heresy would be in the serial numbers. Relax grab a bottle of Vino......

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

Echo Lynnm response. When I went on a Heresy quest I recall there being zero difference on drivers and crossovers for those years (I have a pair made in, and bought in, 1980). Search the board - you will find somewhere that list the changes by year for Heresy. I used that in acquiring my next two pair.

------------------

Hwatkins

Hi,

I have 3 sets of Heresy speakers. The oldest being from the 70's with cast squakers. The other 2 sets are from the late 70s and 80's. I can't tell much of a difference between the three. Even if I did I wouldn't worry about them matching because in a 5 channel system each speakers has its own output and I doubt if anyone would say hey that sounds like **** because your left sorround speakers sounds different then your right front speaker. I think too much is made out of timber matching. Sensitivity matching is far more important, IMHO.

IMHO you do not have a problem. Just enjoy your Heresys.

I have had Heresys manufacturered from the mid 60's to the mid 80's. IMHO there is not much of a difference in sound between them until the mid 80's when the K-55-V was replaced with another squawker.

Klipsch & Associates replaced the K-77 tweeter (round Alnico magnet)with the K-77-M (square ceramic magnet)sometime in 1979, I believe. You need to take the backs off the speakers and check to see if both tweeter magnets are the same shape.

If they're the same, and they probably are, you have no problem. If they're different, the K-77-M plays 3db louder and has a more extended high frequency response. If you have different magnets, you may want to get a another tweeter of either type from somewhere so you have a matched set. It's up to you, though.

If you're having trouble listening to your Heresys at high volume, I suspect that one or both of the speakers have the K-77-M square magnets. After you have taken off the backs and checked the shapes, you can put the backs on again, play some music, and listen for balance between the squawker and tweeter by putting your ear next to the grille right in front of the squawker and then moving it up to the tweeter. If you have the square magnets in either speaker, you can tell for yourself that the tweeter is louder than the squawker. The "Dope from Hope" published in 1979 says that the K-77-M is 2-3 db more efficient than the K-77. The ceramic magnet gives the tweeter a greater efficiency (at all frequencies in its range) than the Alnico magnet. Furthermore, measuring tests by Al Klappenberger, an engineer well noted on this forum for his ALK crossovers, also bear out the 2-3 db greater efficiency at all frequencies in the tweeter's range and the extended frequency response of the K-77-M. Don't confuse 2-3 greater efficiency and a higher frequency response, by the way.

Anyway, if you find the 2-3 db greater efficiency objectional and you decide that it is causing problems at higher volumes, you might try lowering the output of the tweeter(s). There's an extended thread in the Updating Older Speakers archives entitled "Bright Heresys? Dramatic, fix, for FREE" (March 29, 2001) that you should look at.

The main thing, though, is not to take anyone else's word for it. Stick your head down in front of your Heresys, listen to the difference in output, if any, and do what you think is best. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

quote:

Originally posted by Vito:

After 21(!!) years I discovered.....

Your first statement is the key to alleviating any concerns. 21 years of pleasure and the only concern is the discovery of different serial numbers. That alone tells you, you've got a GREAT pair of SPEAKERS.

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 06-10-2002 at 08:57 AM