Looking for an old corner speaker cabinet

Cornwalled

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone here had an old unloaded corner speaker cabinet they're looking to get rid of cheap? I'm looking for something along these lines:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200801786662

I don't really need it to have any drivers in, as I already have my own components, and am just looking to get it cheap. My thought was to put either my 12" E-V SRO or 15" Lafayette (Allen Bradley) woofer in, depending on what fit. Then for HF, I would use my newly acquired University T-30 with the K-700 I'm buying from HudsonValleyNoah. Then I could put it in the corner and have a cool looking vintage hi-fi speaker, and hook it up either to a separate mono rig, or as an awesome extension speaker to my big Grundig Majestic tube radio.

What do you guys think? Does that seem doable?

-Jon

I didn't say a Klipschorn. I'm looking for ANY corner type speaker, particularly one like the link I showed. That is a far more affordable, and more appropriate option for a project such as this. I'm sure those old EV cabs aren't too expensive or in demand.

I have a pair of these you can have just a matter of getting them to you.

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/electro_voice_regency.htm

those aren't mine the ones I have are black(i was just using the pic as reference). I started making baffles for a single 15. I have the original baffles and even a pair of mid horns to go with them.

I must also say that there are slight differences between the two cabs as one is only 1/2" thick material and the other is 3/4" thick. I only have one brass grill thingy that goes with them. No drivers just the mid horns. But I bet we could get them shipped to you for about 100.00 bucks or so, plus some packing material. Yes they would need a little work but for free what the heck.

I found the EV brochure for the Regency, and it looks like a cool cab. I think that would work out really well. As far as transport, where are you located, duder1982? As far as the Klipsch express, I don't want to put you guys out! That said, you're certainly welcome over here. You can hear the Frieds, and the Tangents with a massive 4x12" Infinity IRS Beta Sub with 650W Crest amp.

I'm not in a rush. Whatever works out the best for everyone! The cabs do look really cool though. I think they're just what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm always impressed with this forum, how everyone works together. It's more of a "family" than I've seen on any other forum, and I'm glad to be a part of it.

-Jon

Hey Noah,

I think I might have been a bit slow on the uptake there. You were referring to the one on ebay, weren't you? I was thinking you meant the Regency's duder1982 had. I was thinking, man Nebraska sure doesn't seem very local to me! The Regency cabs do seem really cool, but they're sort of a case of too much, too far away I think. My principal concern is shipping cost. I gave an empty LaScala cab to a fellow forum member, and it cost $200 to have it packed and shipped. Now granted that was UPS, which requires you pack the living bejesus out of it so they don't destroy it, but still. If the Regency cabs cost that much each to transport, I'm just not going to be able to afford them, cool as they may be.

I think that eBay cab may be perfect. And, who knows, it may have something interesting on the inside, disconnected, just waiting to be discovered. Or it could be empty! It looks like the front grill just needs to be taken off and re-aligned. I wonder how hard it would be to re-finish the cab? Though, if I did, I would lose the EV label on the bottom. Oh well.

I'll try to give the seller a call tomorrow. He says he's interested in trades. Who knows, maybe I have something he wants. After all, I had good luck trading for speakers before. That's how I wound up with the Tangents, Sansuis, and KLHs. Those Tangents are sleepers btw!

-Jon

The EV cab you are referring to (on ebay) may be an EV Aristocrat (??). Sone of these EV cabs were licensed to EV by Klipsch. This may or may not have been part of a deal to allow Klipsch to use EV drivers (?).

In any case, they were still being sold in the early '60s. A friend of mine had one he had bought in the late '50s, and added a second one in 1961 when he converted to stereo. They sounded great! Nothing much below about 80 Hz, but very clean and free floating sounding, like a horn loaded Klipsch (in fact I think the cabinets were folded bass horns inside, that spoke out of the back of the cabinet, but can't be sure because I last saw them in 1974, when they still sounded better than any other speaker my friend brought into his big room. I remember him setting up an A-B test with some Infinities a hopeful dealer had loaned him (around '73). The Infinities reached much further into the bass, but it was still no contest ... the EVs, pressed into the corners, sounded so much cleaner, tighter, and dynamic! He had an EV extended range woofer and a horn tweeter inside the cabs. All through the '60s and into the '70s, audiophiles would be surprised that his speakers sounded better than any of their systems, except for one big JBL pair and one set of Klipschorns at a dealer (none of us could afford those!).