Finally updating my vintage crossovers

kuisis

My understanding is that it's a problem over a certain threshold, not a problem for the average non-commerical end user.

I took ownership of a 1948 Collins broadcast mixer once that had been full of bathtub oil caps. Someone had got the bright idea that they had a hazmat situation on their hands, and cut them all out, took them for proper disposal, and were turned away because "they didn't have enough"(!). So the box of caps ended up back with the console, none leaking, those I've measured test fine for C and DC leakage. I have another of those consoles with all the original oil caps, and everything works fine. So, it really depends. The bigger ones in PSU's under heavy current seem to be the ones I find leaking, and there generally from prolonged heat, evident from potting compound running out of adjacent transformers.

• Moderators

I changed my mind, I am going to have Bob build me a new pair and store the originals as is.

Probably the best idea. [Y]

A heavy duty zip lock bag might be a good idea to store the originals ? [:S]