Denon receiver question

jhawk92

Ok, so here is one for you all out there. I have been a big Denon fan for a while, and have been very pleased with their product lines. When I upgraded from ProLogic to DD, I went with the AVR-4800/POA-5200 combo to get a 7.1 system. This was actually cheaper than getting the AVR-5800 by a long shot.

So now that the 4802/5803 lines are out, I am a bit envious, especially the DPLII feature. I would buy the 4802 in a heartbeat, as 125Wx7 would suite me perfectly. But there is always something cool about buying the best a company has to offer. So, would it be cheaper to find a used 5800 and then purchase the 5803 upgrade kit rather than going straight to the 5803? From what it looks like on the Denon site, the upgrade kit brings the 5800 up to snuff with the 5803. I certainly like the 5803 ability to route all video signals to S-video or component and use only one set of cables to the monitor. I also like the bass management feature on the 5803, something the 4802 does not have, as I'd like to have a new receiver be somewhat "future-proof" and be able to support either DVD-A or SACD.

So, who has some input?

Hi Jhawk,

As a very avid fan of Denon products, (Having owned a 2802 and now a 5803) I can tell you that the 5803 is an excellent product. I am amazed at the rock solid performance of this monster receiver. It is of course software upgradable and has 7 x 170 watt amps. If I were you and if you can afford it, I'd go for a new 5803. I sure don't regret buying mine. You can't go wrong with this unit.

Take care

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RC-3

Sub RSW-15

Receiver Denon 5803

DVD Denon 2800 (Soon to be Denon 9000)

T.V. Sony KP57HW40 Widescreen

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

jhawk, knowing your passion for high end(s), i'd say that's an excellent idea if you can find to buy or trade for, a used 5800.

i suggested the same when the act-3 popped up new again on ubid just lately. could get that & the coming upgrade for well under $2k.

many dealers may even have a few new 5800 laying around. buying a new 5803 may be paying quite a bit for convenience. or maybe not. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Speaking of high ends, looks like you do the same Rick, both the 5803 and the 9000! Wow, nice system. Tell me a bit more about the 5803...how is Dolby PLII? I think I could like that feature for TV and other older items. Have you tried the bass management yet? I'd be interested in your thoughts there. If I can ask, where did you get yours and how much? I've been hooked on Denon for over 15 years, so unless quality goes way down, I'll stick with them. My Fortes sound great with anything from Denon.

Boa-

Yeah, high ends, and nice ends...that's my passion. Smile.gif I may kick around town and see if any shops have a 5800 laying around they are willing to let go cheap!

JHawk-

After trying to quell the latest upgradeitis, i have looked at several upgrades. Currently, i have a Denon 3801, a not a bad reciever for $1000, but due to the revieling nature of the RF's i am starting to prefer a quieter pre/pro and amp. For the 3K pricetag of the 5800s, i would seriously look at seperates. As Boa pointed out...the ACT-3 is a VERY nice pre/pro (except for the damn volume knob, too hard to work YUCK!!!) and the upgrades that will be coming out make it a more atractive option. (Or look at the Stage One....one VERY sweet and clean looking pre/pro) Dolby PLII works great with TV....but if you only use a fraction of the reciever for TV, it might not be worth the $$$ and the 5801 might be a good option if you don't want seperates.

------------------

Home Theater

If I were you, I would also check out the Marantz SR9200. Many reviewers have said that it sounds better than the Denon AVR-5803. Secondly, the Marantz is cheaper than the Denon.

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" Direct View FD Triniton WEGA)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900V

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Originally posted by jhawk92:

Speaking of high ends, looks like you do the same Rick, both the 5803 and the 9000! Wow, nice system. Tell me a bit more about the 5803...how is Dolby PLII? I think I could like that feature for TV and other older items. Have you tried the bass management yet? I'd be interested in your thoughts there. If I can ask, where did you get yours and how much? I've been hooked on Denon for over 15 years, so unless quality goes way down, I'll stick with them. My Fortes sound great with anything from Denon.

Hi Jhawk92,

The 5803 IS an incredible receiver. I don't think there is anything this thing can't do. PLII works very well for satelitte HDTV when not in full 6.1 and regular tv. It also works very well for those two channel first 4 seasons of X-Files. I have not had the system long enough to start playing with all the bass management amoung other things. All I can tell you is the way the store set it up for me in my room is incredible. As for the 9000, I don't have it yet. I hope to acquire one within the next 60 days. I bought my 5803 at a local dealer here in Regina by the name of Kiley's Audiotronics, (Krazy Kiley's). The list price was $5,100 Canadian which works out to about $1.99 US... Just kidding, it's not that bad yet. I traded in my less than one year old 2802 and paid $4,000 differance. I thought it was a good deal as they list on the web for about $3,100 U.S. I just got to tell you... I LOVE MY DENON RECEIVER.

Take care

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RC-3

Sub RSW-15

Receiver Denon 5803

DVD Denon 2800 (Soon to be Denon 9000)

T.V. Sony KP57HW40 Widescreen

Computer Pro-Media 5.1