audio nirvana super 8s

The Spawn horns/ furgal horns are great in concept the price is crazy for the flat pack utility grade for $800.

The plans are readily available, which is probably the route I would take.

Dave's cabs look realy nice. Always has great bang for the buck, too.

Bruce

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The smaller is called the mini-monitor, the larger is the monitor. Go bigger if your have the room.

Dave Harris has these cabs already plugged into his router... might ask him to cut and flat pack you a pair. 1 set he was kind enough to built the monitors were flat packed.

I used glue and my Kreg kit to screw and glue it :-).

I think the sound is very Quad 57... Mids to die for and very airy highs... the bass is not anywhere near the yields or cornscala's... .More LaScala :-)

Guest David H

Dave,

What is the material used in these cabinets. What do they look like when you ship? Is the finish Justin's work?

I used depot ply on one set and mdf on the other. The project and finish work is all Justin.

I am looking forward to developing the 40" version, I think it will outperform the monitor series cabs. I also anxious to try the Dayton Neo FR drivers.

Dave

I used glue and my Kreg kit to screw and glue it :-). :-)

Justin;

can you PM me a link to the Kreg Kit screw Jig ??? been wanting a jig kit but didn't know which to get for speaker cabs assembly

PM or post it some others might want one as well ,

I'm looking at these mini's or even the micro's as a surround set-up of my bedroom speakers to replace the Sony SS 's I have in there now

@ the time the Sony SS 's were a easy entry low$$$ speaker system but I really want a better imaging in there for the wife ,

that's her room , my room is the living room with my 5 CornScalas & 4 CS-1.5's

(which are all getting up-graded to ElipTrac's + B&C 750's + ALK networks )

Kregtool.com

If you search for it youll find multple vendors sell it. Its widely used.

If you go mirco youll need the 4" David basically sugests that its a bad idea to use the miro unless its a sat system. He does have a KISS plan which offers a bit better performace than the micro, esp for the 4". Im really happy with the minimonitor.... I do plan to build the 40" Dave has begun to degin, reuse my drivers and ee what a cab chnage can do.

Guest David H

Update...

Justin Webber showed up yesterday afternoon with a pair of David Dicks design "Monitors" with Audio Nirvana 8's. We hooked them up to a 5w DIY Tube 300B amp that Justin built, and proceeded to demo them. I have to admit I was impressed at how well the AN-8 performed, the measured bass output was respectable down to around 60hz.

Next we installed the drivers into a cabinet that Justin and I had designed with the assistace of Bass Box Pro. I used mdf for the build and several stiffeners to keep the box resonance at a minimum. The outcome of this project was well worth the effort, bass response now extends to 40hz or better and the overal sound is amazing.

Honestly I would never have guessed a low $$$ source point setup could sound so sublime.

I will post some measurements when I get the oportunity.

Dave

Dave was kind enough to design and build these for me... The improvement is incredible. Now I just need to finish them in fire engine red :-)

Im not sure how I could describe these... incredible coherent and treble without beaming. My Big 3 Way cornscalas are still my true reference, followed by his Yeilds. The Yeilds very special crossover never adds to mid band and muddles things. My 2nd Cornsalas (2way) are just so much fun. The AN-8 in the mini monitor cab will be boxed an given to my daughter int the coming years... The Minimonitior at 19" tall is great, easy to live with in size... but seriously lacking in mid bass bloom and bottom-end weight... the same to be said for the monitors which are taller and wider, but not enough so to go deep. We took the AN-8s from the monitor cabs and placed them into the bigger 40" tall cabs and the sound stage and wight were changed for the positive. The 40" tall cabs allows you place at ear height without needing stands. So many times we say... Ill get those and never do and are not satisfied with the results... These cabs stop the problem for arising. I had only been playing vocal jazz, and classical on these prior. They seems wonder and romantic, but polite. Dave picks some jazz track that sounds more like deadmouse and these things are digging really f*cking deep. Enough so that we all thought a sub was helping.

Truth be told, I have too much audio stuff. Most of us on here do... These are cabs that I will be keeping. (Ive parted ways with my Heresy's, CS1 and AN monitors). Ive kept 2 examples of cornscala's, 1 pari of yields, 1 pair of mini monitors and now these 40" point sources.

If I were building anew, if you can handle the bigger cabinet size the CS1.5 and the Harris 40" singe drivers are worth side by sides. The 40" tall singe driver can be had for nearly have the price. Source cabs from Dave or ask for plans and then get your favorite 8" driver. No crossover no muss, no fuss.

The CS1/CS1.5/ Econowave prob has more bass, but is less efficient and less coherent...

My 40" cabs are in dry dock till I can afford to finish in red. Im running the minimonitors as were speak on my freshly minted darling... .6watts :-).

post-39161-13819800694216_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Dave,

It looks like the Super 8 CF is the same efficiency above 200hz, and might be a bit smoother above 2Khz than the Super 10 CF.

http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an8cfspecs.jpg

http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an10cfspecs.jpg

What are your thoughts on this?

I have to agree, and I am looking into this as well. After hearing the Super 8s Justin dropped off it really got me thinking.

This morning I ordered a pair of the Dayton PS-220-8 to test as well. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-346

Dave