audio nirvana super 8s

Wasn't sure what to expect... very impressed even with these little cabinets. The Cabinets are from Dave Harris... God bless CNC mills :-).

The cab is not the most inert and and any box designing software says it should sound like crap... but it dose'nt... the mid bloom and attack and sustain is great... the low-end is a seamed but you cant have everything in this small a speaker. These are the mini monitors... perfect for low volume listening not to wake the wife. I had dave cut the monitors which ill but very soon.

post-39161-1381974139067_thumb.jpg

post-39161-13819772029316_thumb.jpg

post-39161-13819799278966_thumb.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David H

Looks great Justin, now lets see how the Monitors sound.

Just to clarify, these cabinet designs are from David Dicks at Audio Nivana.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

They offer a couple of different brands of co-axes at the site I linked to, but the ones we have been discussing are full-range, not co-ax.

There are at least a dozen different brands of co-ax drivers, a lot to evaluate.

They offer a couple of different brands of co-axes at the site I linked to, but the ones we have been discussing are full-range, not co-ax.

There are at least a dozen different brands of co-ax drivers, a lot to evaluate.

Thanks for the clarification. Which would you recommend full range or coaxial?

I've messed with some early RCA duo cones and heard 604s a couple times. At LSAF I heard a few full rangers.

Guest David H

Thanks for the clarification. Which would you recommend full range or coaxial?

The beauty of the full range is no crossover. I have had good luck with the Audio Nirvana products, and I would like to try some of their 12" and 15" drivers.

Dave

Wasn't sure what to expect... very impressed even with these little cabinets. The Cabinets are from Dave Harris... God bless CNC mills :-).
The cab is not the most inert and and any box designing software says it should sound like crap... but it dose'nt... the mid bloom and attack and sustain is great... the low-end is a seamed but you cant have everything in this small a speaker. These are the mini monitors... perfect for low volume listening not to wake the wife. I had dave cut the monitors which ill but very soon.

Really nice Justin.

Craig

I finished the Cabs. One set went to my finisher, 1 set I did... turned out the same. The Spawn horns/ furgal horns are great in concept the price is crazy for the flat pack utility grade for $800. Having both cabs, I can hear subtitle differences. Big is better, but I can happily live with the little ones. Dave and I have been in discussion re a 40" tall narrow face version. It is spooky just how stunning these speakers can be, but the right height for placement is key. The 40" version allows floor placement without need for supplemental stand. My exp for best results has been with SE amps... my 300b comes to mind and low capacitance speaker wire. These sound their best with vocals, jazz and classical… no rock or heavy bass and the adore low power. Im building another darling amp that might pair well. 2 options that seem to make good sense on paper i:1. the mini-monitor but placed on a table if possible… Great size, easy to work with and 90% of the sound. 2. The 40” tall narrow baffle. You could get crazy and add 2-4” as a separate cavity and fill with dry sand… Would clean up and mid bass flab and make the speaker more stable… But then it add build complexity.

post-39161-13819800063884_thumb.jpg