audio nirvana super 8s

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David H

Dave have you considered the tang band w8-1772 ?

I have looked at the TB, looks like a fine driver but is near double the cost of the Dayton or the Audio Nirvana.

Dave

Built another pair of boxes for myself. I wanted to take some measurements.

Although the new box was a signifigant improvement over the monitor design, I suspected a contour network was in order.

post-24405-13819800786752_thumb.jpg

Enter the contour network. Currently I am still fine tuning the network with a selection of inductors and resistors, however the 1.5mH inductor with a 12.5R is doing a fair job.

post-24405-13819800794326_thumb.png

Thanks Dee.

These are coming along nicely, however require a bit of tuning still.

Justin Webber just sent his set out for paint, as I understand the main box will be fire engine red and the base piano black. I suspect these will look very nice.

Dave

Dave, What is your take on the networks and their impact on the sound. Their purpose is to compensate for some shortcomings of the full range drivers. Could you say more about that?

I would have to say the networks benefits outweigh their loses by a signifigant margin.

The full range drivers although amazing have a rising response that needs addressing.

What I have noticed working with the contour networks is that larger gauge inductors seem to have the largest impact on the sound. I tried AWG 18 and AWG 15 inductors of several different values, the AWG 18 seemed to degrade the sound quality. I suspect this may be due to the increased ESR.

Dave

In red :-)

I tried a contour network, I they seemed more alive without... Maybe not as refined, but feeling more present. Forgot to snap pics with the drivers in place. The minimonitors are really nice from 60hz on up but its obvious that the cabs are the limiting factor. The same AN8 in dave's cab shows that there are limits to the drivers too. The cab allows the drivers to stretch down much much lower. As I already have 3 large speakers, Im keeping my mini monitors, but my budy will be taking the Full size cabs from me in time. He was impressed by the size of the sound stage and just how airy they sounded.

post-39161-13819801205482_thumb.jpg

Those look nice assembled with the stands.

I need to try the FR with an active crossover and see how it sounds.

I had hoped to get to that this weekend, but my new CNC machine arrived and ate up most of my weekend.

post-24405-13819801269474_thumb.jpg