1985 Heresy II cabinet redo.

longdrive03

A friend of mine bought these on CL for $150.00. Oiled walnut cabinet with quit a few chips and veneer missing and they were not solid. The backs pushed out easily and I could see light between the corner 45 degree cuts. I reglued, clamped, and finish nailed the cabinets together including the backs and installed a cross brace for stability. I then cut our 1/2" x 1/2" indents on the four top and bottom corners on both speakers. Installed cherry aircraft grade wood back (flame retardant) veneer in wrap around position. Then I installed solid cherry corner pieces in the indents and also on the front trim. Stained to match and four coats of wipe on poly later they are done. He had Bob Crites update the caps on the xover and will install new diaphrams in the tweeters. Pretty much has a new speaker now. I'm also going to veneer the pine risers he got from Bob.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Heli. Yes. I used a roundover bit with slight indenton the face and corners. I had to veneer the two sides and bottom and top first, flush trim those, then glue and clamp in the solid corners, then flush trim then roundover. Lot of work to get there but it worked. I've done this before on Large Advents and some Pioneer HPM40 redos. I was able to use a lof of finish nails on this since I was veneering over the cabinet. Solid as a rock now with the solid bubinga and walnut internal cross brace.

Thanks guys. On to the next project. A taller ported Heresy clone. Lucked into 11 sheets of 1 1/4" birch plywood (yes it is heavy!) at an estate sale. Got the four sided shells built today (42" tall x 11.5" deep x 15.5" wide). Using a 7 x 12" Parts Express exponential horn. More later.

• 3 weeks later...