1 channel out on the phono Lafayette KT 600 pre-amp

Taz

Question? One channel on my Lafayette KT 600 pre-amp for the turn table went out. I swapped RC cables around and it is the A channel. Is there someone you'd suggest/Highly recommend? I have the instruction book as it was built from a kit by my neighbor. Does .Terry Dewitt do other besides McIntosh, and would he be a good choice? I may be down but not out as have a few other stereos I've wanted to listen to the K Horns with,............................................................

Taz

Perhaps I could get some email as to opinions as to who would be best. Vintage Tunes, or NOS Valves. I'd prefer off the forum replies for this as I don't want any negative opinions on the forum for these people. I would also like other suggestions - recomendations over the forum. Thank You All, .....................................Taz

John, I would use Craig first. I would consider a full rebuild, if you want to squeeze the most out of the 600.

Two questions - does your neighbor still have the assembly manual for the 600, and does he have the matching tuner, which would be the KT500 or LT50? I have been looking for both of these for over 4 years now. These are the three pac I have...

Posted Image

Thanks, Dave

And Maynard, correct me if I am wrong, but every citation I have ever read has tagged Stuart Hegeman as the driving force behind the design of this Lafayette series, something he confirmed the one time I chanced to meet and talk with him. Could you give us the further details of your statement about the actual background?

And Maynard, correct me if I am wrong, but every citation I have ever read has tagged Stuart Hegeman as the driving force behind the design of this Lafayette series, something he confirmed the one time I chanced to meet and talk with him. Could you give us the further details of your statement about the actual background?

Aaron Newman became chief engineer of Lafayette's kit division in Jamaica, NY around 1958. He had previously worked with Stu Hegeman. Hegeman Labs did some technical consultation with Lafayette on certain designs. The KT-600 was designed by Aaron but, as was often the case with such relationships, Hegeman got the credit for the design. An article about Hegeman in the February '60 Popular Electronics stated that it was designed in conjunction with Aaron which, although not accurate, at least gave him some credit. The next time I chat with Aaron I'll ask for more details; however, I don't think he really cares at this point. It's quite meaningless in the scheme of things especially after 5+ decades! Aaron is better known for his involvement with Guild Guitars and his work with electronic synthesizers such as the Mu-Tron. In fact, even Wikipedia has a piece on this much to my surprise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu-tron

Aaron is no longer involved in the electronics industry (a very great loss in my opinion), preferring to spend his time pursuing other avenues of enjoyment. I've known him for decades and have the inside track on many bits of misinformation which have circulated in both the home audio and pro music arenas. Sorry to disagree with you once again Dave, but you are wrong on this one. All the best--- Maynard

John, I would use Craig first. I would consider a full rebuild, if you want to squeeze the most out of the 600.

Two questions - does your neighbor still have the assembly manual for the 600, and does he have the matching tuner, which would be the KT500 or LT50? I have been looking for both of these for over 4 years now. These are the three pac I have...

DSCN1889.jpg

Thanks, Dave

I have the Manual for the 600, Seems like he said he had a turner but did not say what it was. I asked him to bring the tuner and some smaller amps out to look at. But has not happened yet. I do have a copy machine at home, could probably make a copy for the 600 if you want..............................Taz

• 4 years later...