Puke on my speaker :(

jeb

Hi gang- I am hoping someone out there can help me....and I am totally serious in my request!

My girlfriend's younger and very immature 18 year old brother came over to my house already drunk...after sleeping on the couch for awhile, he woke up and it was time for him to leave. Upon stading up, he puked all over, not only himself, but my carpeting and my precious KG 5.5. The actually hit the carpting first and then sprayed/bounced up onto the cloth of my speaker.

I am wonding what the best way to try and clean this would be, as I do not want to ruin the cover...he will replace it, if I can get a replacement...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joel

jeb, call Amy(she's so sweet)at 1 800 KLIPSCH

and tell her you need 1 ea. part # 104006 grill assembly.She will probably charge you

$46.00 for it.Then again,she may not charge you at all(she's so sweet, did I mention that?).Spare her the story. smile.gif

Keith

jeb - if the grill frame is made of plastic (which is great, BTW), you can just wash the grills on your patio (or garage floor, or bathtub bottom) with a gentle brush and some mild soap/water then spray them off to rinse them. The frames will not bend, since they are plastic, and all should dry just fine.

BTW, I assume no liability for this response smile.gif A friend of mine cleaned his Forte grills this way and it worked great.

The speaker is make of plastic, however there are what appears to be 2 thin layers of some kind of cloth stretched over the plastic framing...that's what I am concerned about cleaning..the cloth.

Any ideas out there?

Joel

Hey Jeb,

I have something that will get rid of it safely and easily. Get a can of Bissell Fabric & Upholstery Cleaner it has a fabric safe brush on it and dispenses a quick drying foam that will not harm plastics. I have used it many times on speaker grills and they come out looking and smelling like new. This stuff really works, try the grocery store or possibly Wal Mart or Kmart it comes in a blue can. This should effectively solve your problem. Take care.

------------------

If it's too loud, your too old :)

Puke contains a chemical called Buteric Acid. That is what gives puke it's characteristic odor. If that oder persists, it is possible to use a mild base (not bass as Klipsch makes that already) such as baking soda and water to neutralize the buteric acid.

Do not ask me how I know this. It brings back too many college memories. Almost got kicked out of a fine organization...

Be careful scrubbing on the grille as you may damage the cloth fibers and make them look bad.

don't scrub at all... use a garden hose and just let the spray do the cleaning. Adjust the force accordingly. Spray from the inside, out. I would not use chemicals other than Simple Green maybe, and again use the hose to remove the chemicals. Let it dry in the sun or use a hair dryer. Repeat as necessary. Good Luck

j

• 4 weeks later...

get some laundry detergent and hot water. fill a bathroom sink and put just a small amount of detergrnt in it. scrub the grill/cloth lightly with a toothbrush. pat them dry with a paper towel (dont rub...it'll get paper on the cloth). I cleaned my car's grilles that way and it worked wonders, while also smelling good. Also, tell them that if they puke on your stuff again that you will also have to clean up blood wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Wow BobG! This would make a good question for "Who Wants To Be A Millionare":

Which chemical gives vomit it's awful odor?

a) Sulfuric Acid B) Citric Acid

c) Hydrochloric Acid d) Buteric Acid

Good one. With the tidbits of information you provide, you educate the rest of us. Thanks.