CONVERTING KLF-10 INTO A CENTER SPEAKER.

halfstep999

I did this project. I simply removed an already loose motor board and replaced it with a fresh one cut out of 3/4 mdf. Some fresh glue and you are set. For the new motor board I did a horizontal configuration of WTW with the tweeter cut in much closer to the top of the cabinet. I don't know how it will blend with your other speakers. I had KLF 10s and 20s as well as the C7. It smoked the C7.

It sounds really good with the set up, but I just want it to look cleaner. Thank you very much for the help and I am going to start on this project asap.

Once that project is complete, the Cornwalls will be going to Cronscala's. I really miss the mid and high's I had with the Horns I once owned.[:'(]

While you are redoing the motorboard/speaker, you would be much better off converting that KL-10 to a 3-way speaker (like your Cornwalls). It'll take a new tweeter and midrange horns as well as some crossover work (and/or a new crossover). If you realy plan to upgrade the Cornwalls, then get the same horn and midrange (for your center) that you plan to have in your mains after that upgrade.

While you are redoing the motorboard/speaker, you would be much better off converting that KL-10 to a 3-way speaker (like your Cornwalls). It'll take a new tweeter and midrange horns as well as some crossover work (and/or a new crossover). If you realy plan to upgrade the Cornwalls, then get the same horn and midrange (for your center) that you plan to have in your mains after that upgrade.

A crossover, a squaker and a tweeter from a KLF-20 should work. They are 3 way. IMO, you would not use the tweeter from the KLF-10 but you may be able to use the horn, and mount the midrange compression driver in it.

A crossover, a squaker and a tweeter from a KLF-20 should work. They are 3 way. IMO, you would not use the tweeter from the KLF-10 but you may be able to use the horn, and mount the midrange compression driver in it.
Bob Crites sells KLF Crossovers for $130 each. Perhaps you can get the tweeter and midrange from Klipsch parts.

I too had considered adding a mid and tweet from a KLF 20/30 to my center but after some consderation decided against it. I also talked to a few others and opted just to do the 10 center. One issue is spending the money on the crossover, mid and tweet. If you shop carefully you may be able to pick these up cheap. But you have to look at the whole speaker. The woofer from the 10 are not the same as the 20. You may run into a different sensitivity on the 10 woofers and have to pad the highs or lows. If you find the 20 woofers and try to drop them into a 10 cabinet, the volume is differnet as well as the port number and maybe size. Maybe complete the 10 project as is and see if you like it. If a 20 pops up do a conversion on it also. At the price of mdf you could do the 10 motor board and if the parts come available for the 20 it would be cheap enough to change.

I do have a single stock KLF 20/30 tweeter with horn if you are interesed in pursuing the 3 way.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...