Heresy 2 way club speakers

Dave Abbott

Hello everyone, I just acquired 3 pairs of kilpsch heresy 2 way speakers. they came out of a night club and the woofers are on top and the midrange horn on the bottom and thee is no tweeter but the grill is cut out for one. And also the klipsch logo badge is on the bottom of the grill. Can anyone shed any light on these?? I never knew that heresy came as 2 way systems. They appear to have 3 way crossovers mounted inside and all drivers and crossovers look to be original and in nearly perfect shape. Although the labels are either torn off or barely readable they have a date of 1980 on them. Thanks for any help!! I'll try to get more info off the labels.

Thanks

heresy front

heresy label

Thanks for all the info!! I was somewhat taken back when I received these, as I thought I was getting 3 way heresys. I was originally hoping to sell two pairs to get some of my money back but I'm not sure what these are worth compared to normal heresys. Adding a set of tweeters for 150 + per pair would not be cost effective for me. Anyway, these appear to have either walnut or oak veneer enclosures with black lacquer finish. These were mounted in a cinema, not a club as I originally mentioned. So they wave some holes drilled in them. I plan to repair all the holes and have the cabinets relacquered. If anyone is interested in a set let me know.

Thanks

The fellas are correct, it's an early surround speaker which could have been ok for a club I suppose. The 'flipped over' look is something done frequently in commercial installations. Rotate the grille, then mount the cabinet 'upside down'. It puts the woofer closer to the ceiling/wall intersection for better coupling and gets the horn away from near boundaries to reduce early reflections. I've done the same thing with a pair of KP 201 I use for surround/fill in my workshop.

good of you to take a look inside. Klipsch must have sold too many of these if they put a three way network in a two way speaker. If you get inside again, look for a aluminum/red placard on the terminal block EDGE of the network board. Should be stamped C, E, or something similar.

"Should be stamped C, E, or something similar."

My guess is that it would be a type E network.

It was probably not cost effective to remove the unneeded 2µF for the tweeter.

A LeSon TLC-1 or TLC-4 would work as a budget tweeter, there are some TLX1 (used in Fender, Ampeg, SWR, Traynor, Hughes & Kettner, etc) on eBay right now for $12 a pair!

762_1000_001.jpg

In a rectangular format, 5KHz a 20 KHz Sensibilidade (2,83V a 1M): 108dB (would have to be moved down to the midrange tap!).

tweeter-leson-piezo-eletrico-tp_77814416

• 1 month later...

Hello again everyone. I finally got around to sanding these and filling the mounting holes. 2 pairs are walnut and 1 pair is oak. The drivers and crossovers look like new and nothing looks like it has ever been tampered with or modified. I ordered a bob crites motor board so I can route tweeter holes in the factory location. They all have E2 crossovers. K22K woofers and K53K mids. The cabinets look really good stripped down with the mounting holes filled. They are not perfect but are really solid and look good. 2 pairs are for sale and I have a local offer of 350 per pair. I can leave them as they are or route the tweeter hole or even install a replacement tweeter for anyone who is interested. I tried to post pictures on the for sale page but they didn't post. I will repost pix when I return home this weekend. Thanks again for all the information. If anyone has any questions on these, feel free to contact me

Dave

Evad.5150@yahoo.com