going all-in with RF-7 IIs...but need help

the church

I've decided to buy RF-7 IIs...to be exact.

(2) RF-7 II Floorstanding Speakers
(1) RC-64 II Center Channel Speaker
(2) RS-62 II Surround Speakers

Local dealer has offered...$4600 (net, no tax) for A stock. Is this a good deal or should I be looking at ASD?

Also, I have a Denon AVR-3806 and (2) Mirage S12 subs, but think I need to upgrade my receiver and maybe get an amp. I would like to hear from you guys what you think I should do around the receiver/amp need. I was considering a Pioneer Elite SC-67. I'd be willing to spend $2k on the receiver/amp.

I have only recently purchased the RF-7II's and RC-64II, but I love them I think you will also. I would call Mike at ASD first also. I have just gotten into the seperates. Emotiva is a good amp, however there is some static that you can hear through the tweeter on the Klipsch's. Not bad but it is there. I am still trying to get rid of it so I do not know if it is the Amp or what may happen when I have a dedicated circuit. What are the watts per channel of your Denon?

I would highly recommend going the separates route. I like my Emotiva UMC-1 and i had an XPA-5 but i had a hum/hiss issues with it. I sent it in for testing and it checked out fine. I eventually sold it since there was nothing wrong with it, ought an Outlaw 7125 7x125 watt amp and havent had any issues with hum/hiss at all. Also keep inmind, i did a direct amp swap, i didnt change anything externally. The power amp does wonders for speakers. Even my marantz i have i can see its limitations with my wf-35's.

An Emotiva UMC-1 and an Outlaw 7125 would run you about $1500 :).

I also really do like the Emotica RCA interconnects as well. I have compared them to monoprice digital coaxials and the $20 I paid per emo rca cable was well worth the money in the long run. I think they are very good quality after trying many different cables over the years in various applications.

A poorly shielded RCA cable will act as an antenna btw. These cables are the lifeline between the processor and your power amp, interference isnt something you encounter in a receiver since the paths are shielded and so close under one roof that they really don't get exposed.

Get 12 gauge speaker wire too from monoprice as thats a good size for most applications. You could always go larger for bragging rights...or something although not really necessary.

Just a little bit of my thoughts for you!

• 11 years later...
On 9/17/2012 at 4:40 PM, SuBXeRo said:

Even my marantz i have i can see its limitations with my wf-35's.

what are the limitations you're referring to?

I know this post is over a decade old, but I hope you still see this comment come through. Back in 2009 I purchased the WF-35, WC-24, WS-24's and a RW-12d Subwoofer. I was powering this with a Yamaha RX-V3900. This replaced an old Pioneer AVR I had and a Bose Accoustimas system. I loved how this sounded in comparison. I never did an A/B comparison though. Once the new Klipsch came in, the Bose got packed away and eventually sold, as well as the Pioneer AVR. I don't remember what the differences were, other than more bass, but I know the overall sound was much better. I have had the same system for nearly 15 years now and have been very happy. I have not listened to any other speakers since. None of my friends have any interest in Audio equipment, and the ones that appreciate good audio can't afford a good system. My system is the one my friends are impressed with so I have no available systems to listen to that are potentially better. 

15 years later I need more modern components, Ie 4k tv and AVR, and might as well replace everything. I have purchased a new TV and AVR(Denon AVR-X4800H), plus I got a new emotiva XPA-5 Gen3, 4 in ceiling speakers (Klipsch CDT-5800II), and a Klipsch RP1200SW. I'm wondering, how good are my WF-35's actually? I know I liked them better than my Bose, but I have never heard a "high quality" speaker before to compare. I've heard some reviews saying the WF-35's are incredible sounding for the price, but I've also read that they aren't that great and that's why Klipsch never continued with the line. The positive things I've read about these speakers always state, "for their price". Does that mean more expensive speakers sound better? How much better?

As someone that has owned them, as well as many other speakers, how do they compare? Do you think they are worth keeping and not upgrading? Obviously you replaced them. Would I notice a big difference if I went with something more modern, like the RP8000FII? or would I need to go even higher end to notice an appreciable difference? 

If you see this, any insight will be greatly appreciated. I would like to replace my entire 5 bed layer speaker setup if it makes sense to. I would be basing my decision on the towers and build around those.  You're the first person I've come across that has had these speakers as well as many others so I figured you were the perfect person to ask if I should replace these and how much better sound I could get with newer speakers, if any.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, cplreggie said:

what are the limitations you're referring to?

I know this post is over a decade old, but I hope you still see this comment come through. Back in 2009 I purchased the WF-35, WC-24, WS-24's and a RW-12d Subwoofer. I was powering this with a Yamaha RX-V3900. This replaced an old Pioneer AVR I had and a Bose Accoustimas system. I loved how this sounded in comparison. I never did an A/B comparison though. Once the new Klipsch came in, the Bose got packed away and eventually sold, as well as the Pioneer AVR. I don't remember what the differences were, other than more bass, but I know the overall sound was much better. I have had the same system for nearly 15 years now and have been very happy. I have not listened to any other speakers since. None of my friends have any interest in Audio equipment, and the ones that appreciate good audio can't afford a good system. My system is the one my friends are impressed with so I have no available systems to listen to that are potentially better. 

15 years later I need more modern components, Ie 4k tv and AVR, and might as well replace everything. I have purchased a new TV and AVR(Denon AVR-X4800H), plus I got a new emotiva XPA-5 Gen3, 4 in ceiling speakers (Klipsch CDT-5800II), and a Klipsch RP1200SW. I'm wondering, how good are my WF-35's actually? I know I liked them better than my Bose, but I have never heard a "high quality" speaker before to compare. I've heard some reviews saying the WF-35's are incredible sounding for the price, but I've also read that they aren't that great and that's why Klipsch never continued with the line. The positive things I've read about these speakers always state, "for their price". Does that mean more expensive speakers sound better? How much better?

As someone that has owned them, as well as many other speakers, how do they compare? Do you think they are worth keeping and not upgrading? Obviously you replaced them. Would I notice a big difference if I went with something more modern, like the RP8000FII? or would I need to go even higher end to notice an appreciable difference? 

If you see this, any insight will be greatly appreciated. I would like to replace my entire 5 bed layer speaker setup if it makes sense to. I would be basing my decision on the towers and build around those.  You're the first person I've come across that has had these speakers as well as many others so I figured you were the perfect person to ask if I should replace these and how much better sound I could get with newer speakers, if any.

Thanks!

Before responding to an old post hoping for an answer from a specific member, click on their username to see when they were last on the forum.  In this case the member you’re hoping for a response from hasn’t been here since April 2019.

I own the Icon VF 36 HT and loved it.  The Icon W and X  completed the Icon line.  Thee VF series was sold in BB and was considered cheap and not as good as the Reference line. Later I switched to Reference speakers. I still own the Icon VF 35's.  I have sold off most of the Reference line due to downsizing.  There is no dramatic difference in SQ, people have used earbuds and Ipod and you can make out the music, lol.  Speaker tech advances but, not gigantic leaps that the speaker makers use as selling point.  You may only need a sub.  Hard to get rid of the itch....