Thinking of changing pre-amp, thoughts?

Orange Peel

Hi all, long time member getting back into the scene some [:)] I have a full RF7 setup with a Pioneer Elite VSX-53 receiver for my pre-amp and running an Aragon 3005 to power the setup. Was looking at the Emotiva UMC-1 or something that is a true pre-amp that I could replace the VSX-53 with. I used to have the Rotel RSP-1098 and loved it.

What are your thoughts on my options? The must is HDMI switching, don't need 3D HDMI though.

Thanks for any help.

The pre-amp section of the Pioneer Elite is pretty awesome and you will have to spend several grand imho to do better. I use my SC 35 as a pre-amp with 2 Yamaha M-70 amps and could not be happirer. The audio/ video processing and total system integration can't be beat with the Elite avr's. Are you looking for a particular feature?

No real feature I'm looking for, just wondering if I might be missing out on a better soundstage or overall performance with a dedicated pre-amp vs using a receiver. I calibrated the system with the MCACC setup and it seems to be good but when watching blu ray movies through my Panasonic DMP-BDT500 things are VERY loud and inconsistent. Example the dialogue is normal volume but when action or explosions happen it seems to be VERY loud, not sure what's up yet with this as I need to dig into the setup some more.

I remember when I use was running the Rotel RSP-1098 the soundstage was huge, things sounded so amazing, just don't want to be missing out on anything not having something better for my Aragon 3005/RF7's.

I have two Elite receivers (VSX-53 in the main room and VSX-90TXV in my bedroom) and love them both, just wondering if there's something in the comparable price range that could be better.

Thanks for the help.

Orange Peel,

I am not sure of your budget but would highly recommend the NAD T175HD which can be found factory refurbished for $1599.00(msrp $3000.00). I am experiencing wonderful results with my NAD pre/pro and Acurus A200/A200FIVE(same as your 3005 but with 200w/ch) powering my RF-63/RC-64/RS-35 combo.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/processors-nad-t175hd-preamp-processor-with-manufacturer-s-warranty-2012-09-18-home-theater-01060

If that is too much $$$, a used Integra pre/pro like any of these should do the trick:

DHC-9.8, DHC-9.9, DHC-80.1, DHC-80.2.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings?utf8=%E2%9C%93&global_search_text=integra

Bill

• Moderators

I am not sure of your budget but would highly recommend the NAD T175HD which can be found factory refurbished for $1599.00(msrp $3000.00).

Lookout Orange....Bill's notorious for blowing people's budgets. Haha. I bet it's a great unit though.

I'm looking at this for my room - http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xsp1. I have the USP-1 and it's a solid pre-amp so this has to sound good. If you're looking for a pre/pro then this is not what you want, this is just a pre-amp.

Edit: Nevermind, I just read your post again and you're looking for a pre/pro. I have two UMC-1's and while I like them, some people find them a little too finicky for their taste. The problem is that no other pre/pro is anywhere near that price point.

Bill - Thanks for the info. $1599 is a little more than I wanted to spend. I looked around yesterday and saw that NAD pre/pro and it looked pretty solid, although I'm not a fan of the "look" of it, too plain and flat gray/black. The looks of the unit will definitely play a role since this will be visable and my wife would get pissed if it doesn't look nice [:)] Same thing goes with the Integra stuff, just not a fan of the looks [:(]

Derrick - I will check the DRC and loudness to see what they are set to. I will also review the MCACC thread at AVS forum, thanks!

Vital - I'm looking at the UMC-1 and I'm not too concerned with the finicky part, I can work with that and tweak. The price point is almost too good to be true for something that performs well. I'm pretty close to buying one just to see if it works as well as people say for the price I can get one for. Can always resell if I don't like it I suppose or put it in my bedroom setup and sell the VSX-90TXV [:)]

• Moderators

The price point is almost too good to be true for something that performs well. I'm pretty close to buying one just to see if it works as well as people say for the price I can get one for.

I sold my RX-V1800 for $500 so since there was no out of pocket for me, I figured I would give the UMC-1 a try. It's worked well for me but I don't have a cable box either which is where most of the handshake and center channel dropouts occur.

They have a UMC-200 and a UMC-500 which will be pretty similar coming out that supposedly have all the major issues fixed, and will be right around the same price. Not sure when release is. They also have some other pretty good looking pre-pros coming out as well. Check their boards for more info, lots of fanboys there though that will tell you anything released by Emotiva are the greatest products in the world, so take that all with a grain of salt.

I honestly think that your best bet is to find an Emotiva upgrade card and hold out for their XMC-1 which is looking to be an amazing product.

Thanks for the info tmassey. Would you pick up the UMC-1 if it was a very good deal like $400? I'm not sure about upgrading, I could look to upgrade to the newer model later or something, but for the price it seems it can't be beat. I like the looks of the XMC-1, but don't have an upgrade card and don't want to wait for who knows when they eventually come out, bugs, etc.

400$ isn't a very good deal because by the time you pay for shipping, you mine as well buy new (Emotiva offers free shipping and you get the card). The best I've seen a UMC-1 go for is 350 shipped. I am pretty hesitant when directing people to buy the UMC-1 because while the flaws aren't deal breakers, they definitely can be annoying, especially with DVRs. The sound quality on them is great though and it beats the Pioneer I used to have in every way.

• Moderators

Orange...I too have a "delay" when switching from sources. For example, when I switch from PS3 to Rabbit Ears via Digital Analog Converter (yes, I don't have cable LOL), there is about a 5 second transition before the image and audio switch over. To me, that's no biggie. Is it definitely not a smooth transition but I'm not trying to impress anyone with a smooth transition. I've heard that other brands take a few seconds to switch video sources but that is what I've heard only via second hand information.

The other "quirk" I have with my unit is I have music stored on my PS3. When I start a song, the UMC-1 cuts off about 1 - 2 seconds at the beginning of the song. The "fix" is to simply hit rewind on the remote and it plays from the beginning of the song.

Those are the only two "glitches" I have with my UMC-1. For the quality that I get at the price that I paid, I can live with the imperfections of the UMC-1. YMMV.