La scala

KoosKlipsch

in this photo...the jumpers are missing that go across the HF and LF terminals. The wire to the woofer looks like it was connected to the back of the HF input terminal. I think the woofer is wired direct...it does not look like the woofer is connected to the xover...unless the woofer wire from the xover is running on the inside hidden somewhere.

post-22082-13819801253796_thumb.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Speakerfritz

I have checked al the wires

the wires from tweeter, mid and woofer are all in place on the crossover´s of both speakers. they run from the comonents nicely to the crossover and all polarity is correct

the wire from the LF binding goes internally (from the back of the bindingpost) directly to the input on the crossover

on the LF bindingspost (outside) comes my amplifier cable (the thicker one black and red cable you see on the picture)

the crossovers are AL3 (i have checked this)

the componets are all Klipsch k-77-F tweeter, K-55-M mid and K-33-E woofer at both speakers

the HF and LF are not connected not by bridges and not internally I dont think that is neccesary or am I wrong

and yes I am also confused if this are real factory Klipsch LaScala's or not (but on the other hand , they sound awesome good)

the sellers said they are and specially made for his brother by Klipsch (by order from the reseller in the Netherlands)

and when I see the lables from Klipsch on the back ..................

but perhaps I am wrong

Koos

Hi Quiet_Hollow

I am curious how good the Al3 xover from the La Scala is. and perhaps it is better (sounds better) if I replace it with another one. I don't know witch xover sounds "better" but i know well that i like a naturally sound. not a too pumped bass or so. a honest (not a pumped) bass i like better.

I am curious witch xovers you al use today in the laScala 1

Koos

The AL-3 is the best sounding crossover for the drivers that you have there, IMHO. I have the same combination as you specifically for that reason.

It's a shame that the original squawker driver and crossover (K-55-X and AL-4) aren't in there for the sake of keeping everything all original, but it is not any less of a situation sound-wise. [Y]

Once again, IMHO, nothing else in your La Scala needs revision. [8]

The only other advice I could offer to make them sound their best is:

1. Place them correctly with 40-45 degrees of toe in.

2. Buy some new squawker driver-to-horn gaskets (if available in your area) and install them to ensure a positive seal.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTErkyvzxbTjrqH_WLT3-B

3. Check the very bottom panel of the cabinet for air leaks by tipping the speaker onto its back side, playing a 30 Hz tone at 10V, and using a small piece of aquarium tubing like a stethoscope to probe around the seam where the panel meets the bottom of the cabinet.

-QH

hello QH

thanks for the advices

your tip of placing them 40 degrees of toe in i can't understand quiet good. my room is 4 meters bij 9 meters and the lascala's are as wide as possible (so that's about 3.50 meters) is it then not too much to toe in for 40 a 45 degrees

and another question

Im thinking of placing my lascala's on damping material (only just under the feets/plastic nobs on the floorside) it will be material that is used in

soundstudios/drumstudios to eliminate the very bouncing sounds. they are now standing directly on a woodenfloor

therefore the lascala's will come about 2 1/2 centimeters from the ground

is that a good idea or not

greetings

Koos

Hi wuzzzer

Hoe gaat het met je

Erg leuk om te weten dat er in de US mensen zijn die van Nederlandse afkomst zijn EN van klipsch houden

Wat heb jij allemaal voor apparatuur

Mijn lijstje heb al een beetje gezien hè

Kharma is voor mij een heel bekend merk. De directeur is mijn beste vriend. Maakt hele mooie spullen. Kijk maar eens op zijn site. Kharma.com

Maar hoe gek ook. Ik heb zelf Klipsch in de kamer staan j. Apart hè

Veel groeten

koos

No worries. [H]

It is not too much toe, even for 3.5 meters. Klipsch stresses the importance of correct toe-in twice in the technical papers titled, "Dope From Hope." Try it out and let your ears decide for you. You can always place them back the way you had them before. [;)]

Placing thick pads underneath the feet will not accomplish anything positive, with the exception of preventing the cabinet feet from scuffing the wooden floor. For that, thin felt pads, or thin wooden coasters would work better. I do not recommend placing any objects underneath the La Scala for the sole purpose of raising the entire cabinet in an attempt to improve the acoustics. It is not a good idea.

-QH

your tip of placing them 40 degrees of toe in i can't understand quiet good. my room is 4 meters bij 9 meters and the lascala's are as wide as possible (so

A good starting point for speaker placement is to have the two speakers as far apart as you are sitting from them. If you are 3.5 metres from them, they should be about 3.5 metres apart, measured at the centre of the cabinets.

This means that the speakers and the listener will form an equilateral triangle. Each corner will form a 60 degree angle, so the speakers will be at a 30 degree angle to the wall behind them.

None of these are "magic numbers". They are starting points, which you can then adjust for best sound in your particular room and listening habits. The speakers should be toed-in so they are facing you directly. If they are fairly far apart, they will need to be toed-in more than it they are closer together.

As well, the amount of toe-in affects the width of the sweet spot. If you're a single person always sitting in the same place, the narrow sweet spot is fine, but if someone is often sitting beside you, you may want to use less toe-in to give a wider sweet spot.

None of these are "magic numbers".

On the other hand:

Dope From Hope Vol. 15, No. 2

" The conclusion is pretty obvious.Whether you are using KLIPSCHORN loudspeakers, or speakers of some other make or type, you will get best stereo geometry and best tonality with corner placement of the flanking speakers (whether you use a center or not), and the corner placement should be with the flanking speakers toed-in at 45°."

Dope From Hope Vol. 2, No. 2

"Those opposed to corner placement, or those proposing toe-out and other bizarre speaker geometrics, should be subject to scrutiny for motive, for certainly their views are opposite of the scientists who have been mainly responsible for the creation of the art and of evaluation and advancing its features."

None of these are "magic numbers".

On the other hand:

Dope From Hope Vol. 15, No. 2

" The conclusion is pretty obvious.Whether you are using KLIPSCHORN loudspeakers, or speakers of some other make or type, you will get best stereo geometry and best tonality with corner placement of the flanking speakers (whether you use a center or not), and the corner placement should be with the flanking speakers toed-in at 45°."

Dope From Hope Vol. 2, No. 2

"Those opposed to corner placement, or those proposing toe-out and other bizarre speaker geometrics, should be subject to scrutiny for motive, for certainly their views are opposite of the scientists who have been mainly responsible for the creation of the art and of evaluation and advancing its features."

This assumes that the listening room is of such dimensions that the listener can place himself at the correct distance that has the speakers facing him directly when they are toed-in at a 45 degree angle. As you know, some listening rooms don't permit that.

I should also point out that some speakers do not sound good when placed in corners. Klipsch speakers are designed for corner placement. Some other speakers suffer bass boominess or other problems unless they are a certain distance from the front or side walls. This is usually mentioned by the manufacturer of those speakers.

Corner placement with the speakers directly facing the listener is a good starting point in most rooms. PWK also recommended placing the speakers on the long wall. This is not always possible. In many homes, there are heaters, doors, windows, or other features that require some compromising from the ideal. Even in those cases, good stereo imaging can be obtained with some experimentation in speaker placement and orientation.

This assumes that the listening room is of such dimensions that the listener can place himself at the correct distance that has the speakers facing him directly when they are toed-in at a 45 degree angle.

No it does not, and the positive effect on the midrange works even right down to the point of cross-firing each speaker with their baffles directly touching one another. (ie. zero separation distance) [8]

It's not about maintaining stereo "image" per say, it's all about minimizing the amount of comb filtering, which destroys the tonal quality of the midrange, a critical performance metric.

For example:

Compare the midrange tonal quality of the videos listed below using a pair of headphones. Let all the videos buffer completely so that you can quickly A/B/C them. All have good stereo separation, but ask yourself, "in which videos do the speakers sound least like a horn speaker, if at all?"

Firing straight down the room:

or

Placed as commonly suggested:

or on stands at that angle:

or

Placed per the Klipsch papers:

using La Scala similar to the OP's instead, and the microphone well behind the geometric intersection point:

Hi Quiet_Hollow

I find it hard to believe that i can place my lascala intoe for 45 degrees in a room with a width of 4 meters

my ideal listening place will become then of about three or four meters (near the axe of the two speaker lines) and i think that it is too less where i have the space till 8 meters

i also think that the sweet spot will become very near (too near i think) because of the extrra space a have behind that spot (4 or 5 meters)

but perhaps i am mistaken about this because I have less experience with klipsch speakers and there ideal position

since now i have others speakers an they have others ideal postions (I think)

therefore I give it a try and lett myself be surprised (or no

Koos

Actually, having space behind your listening position is a good thing, since you'll have less reflection/echo effects from the wall behind you. Also, if you have a surround system, it will give you the room for a 6.1 or 7.1 setup.

Try a few speaker placements and orientations, and take some time to listen to each one.

Happy listening!

thanks to everyone who have given advices

i will try several placements for my Lascala's.

for now I have place them in the corner but not in 45 degrees intoe I thin they are toe in for 15 dgerees and directly pointed to my

'listening position that is about 6 meters from the ftont of the lascala's. the lascala's are about as widht as posible about 3,5 meters i think

the sound is very bright like a wall of sound (he, where did i hear that also?) this i like at this moment

greets

Koos

a huge Klipsch fan from from the netherlands

My best imaging and tonal balance came with my LS on the short wall, with a good two feet of space in from the side walls. This only left about 4.5 feet between them. The sound stage was huge, with the speakers pointing to a location slightly behind my listening position. Having my LS on my long wall was terrible.

Of course, having them in from the side walls cut down on the early reflections quite a bit. What surprised me was the osund stage was often wider than the speakers themselves.

Bruce

Okay. So this is what's happening in your room, in the 4-6 kHz region when placed at 15°.

The problem with the reflected sound (pink) is that it is strong enough to interefere with the direct sound (blue) at your listening position.

Not only that, but the midrange horn full strength dispersion (not shown) is 45° in the 1 kHz region. So placed like this, the sidewall is also boosting that range.

The drawings below are to scale.

post-42237-13819801728124_thumb.jpg