Jubilations have arrived!

Cornman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know exactly what your saying, I don't use the Jube bass bin but ours is not far from that sound. People see them and say "they must be loud" ! Angry It just makes me mad, it's all about how big and clear they sound not volume.

Your right they sound colossal, not as the sound is from a small horn but from the whole area. Try this, play something and walk up the center between the speakers slowly from your listening position, watch how far you can go before the sound moves from the appearance of coming from the center. That will give you an idea how wide and open the sound really is.

I like the Jube bass bin but couldn't afford them, but to me the real magic is in the 402 horn design, we love that sound.

I have not heard anything better except live. imo

Cool looking truck, I am a little surprised you didn't get stopped, to make sure you were not hauling anything illegal or anyone illegal.

Colossal is a very accurate description of how they sound for me. When we got the cinema system up and running we initially spent some time listening to only the Jubs with a variety of tracks and then eventually we had the bright idea to turn it up louder to see what that was like. It was same but louder. For myself, I found there was no desire to turn up the volume as when it's that REAL the volume level is not relevant. We did turn it up, eventually quite a lot while setting maximum system level limiters and we did not get to full power. Sharp transients could be strongly felt in the cinema seats.

The thought that crosses mind frequently is "do we really need the centre speaker?". The capacity of the Jubs surpassed my expectations and I will create a pre-set to blend the centre channel into left and right jubs and shut down the centre channel speaker. I get the experience that the uninterrupted sound stage between the jubs would make a virtual centre channel possible. My second visit to fine tune the system is tentatively this Thursday and I'm very very much looking forward to that. The preliminary some what rushed setup has had only complimentary comments from a variety of different uses so far. It is a cinema with a live stage and includes use for conferencing, gymnastic performance and live bands.

So my opinion is REAL 3D PANAVISION SOUND where the sound does not appear to come from the speakers.

You are so right about the average guy will equate the goal in sound with big speakers to be as loud as possible. I hear nuances & lyrics that I never heard before with such clarity, it' all in the detail & cleanness of presentation with true timber & emotion. that I look for.

I also agree the magic is in the horn, I very seriously considered putting the 402's with my cornwalls just using the bass portion. I still think It would work, just as the jubscallas have.

Here is another photo with both speakers.

L.%20room%20south.JPG

Well,

If you are maintaining a "to-do" list, I'd recommend the following:

1) Try turning that bookcase on the left 90 degrees and place against the side of the left Jub bass bin (increased lf performance)

2) Try placing a couple of 2'x2' panels of absorbent tiles or thick piece of absorbent material on the sides of your television - especially at the top of each side of the cabinet. You can also use a large comforter folded lengthwise and laid over the top of the TV, draping down the sides (increased imaging performance)

3) Try throwing a tapestry, comforter, or fuzzy blanket over the front face of the TV to listen in two-channel music-only mode (increased imaging and slightly better timbre)

4) One 2'x2' fuzzy panel or thick piece of absorbent material on each wall area near the side of the TV at the height of the K-402s (increased imaging performance)

5) Try placing a somewhat thick table cloth or piece of felt, etc. over your coffee table (increased imaging)

All of these suggestions are easily reversed if you don't like/hear a difference. Note that the increased imaging performance is present in a narrow area directly on the centerline of the speakers.

Also note that the Jubs should be aimed carefully at your listening position: I use a flashlight while seated in my listening position to make sure that the K-402s are pointed at the right place by looking down the throat section of each K-402 while seated - you should be able to see the protective screen of the TADs that is symmetric within the throat area. You can adjust the K-402 base adjustment mechanism in the vertical plane by using your supplied mechanism wrench(s) to loosen the mechanism adjustment screws, reposition, then tightening the screws down again. I aim mine down a few degrees.

Just my $0.02 (based on trial-and-error).

Enjoy!

Chris

You are so right about the average guy will equate the goal in sound with big speakers to be as loud as possible. I hear nuances & lyrics that I never heard before with such clarity, it' all in the detail & cleanness of presentation with true timber & emotion. that I look for.

I also agree the magic is in the horn, I very seriously considered putting the 402's with my cornwalls just using the bass portion. I still think It would work, just as the jubscallas have.

Here is another photo with both speakers.

L.%20room%20south.JPG

Well,

If you are maintaining a "to-do" list, I'd recommend the following:

1) Try turning that bookcase on the left 90 degrees and place against the side of the left Jub bass bin (increased lf performance)

2) Try placing a couple of 2'x2' panels of absorbent tiles or thick piece of absorbent material on the sides of your television - especially at the top of each side of the cabinet. You can also use a large comforter folded lengthwise and laid over the top of the TV, draping down the sides (increased imaging performance)

3) Try throwing a tapestry, comforter, or fuzzy blanket over the front face of the TV to listen in two-channel music-only mode (increased imaging and slightly better timbre)

4) One 2'x2' fuzzy panel or thick piece of absorbent material on each wall area near the side of the TV at the height of the K-402s (increased imaging performance)

5) Try placing a somewhat thick table cloth or piece of felt, etc. over your coffee table (increased imaging)

All of these suggestions are easily reversed if you don't like/hear a difference. Note that the increased imaging performance is present in a narrow area directly on the centerline of the speakers.

Also note that the Jubs should be aimed carefully at your listening position: I use a flashlight while seated in my listening position to make sure that the K-402s are pointed at the right place by looking down the throat section of each K-402 while seated - you should be able to see the protective screen of the TADs that is symmetric within the throat area. You can adjust the K-402 base adjustment mechanism in the vertical plane by using your supplied mechanism wrench(s) to loosen the mechanism adjustment screws, reposition, then tightening the screws down again. I aim mine down a few degrees.

Just my $0.02 (based on trial-and-error).

Enjoy!

Chris

Thanks for the suggestions Chris, they all could have an effect. In fact a couple of them were already on my "to do list". The blanket over the tv defineatly helps. I use to do that with the Cornwalls. As for the shelving (thats my music library), it can not be turned due to limited space it would block off the hall access as you can see in this photo. I have already experimented in horizontal toe in of the horns & will try the vertical as well.

Stay thirst for the sound my friends, (gee's that sounded like something Box would say..) [;)]

post-20502-1381980279885_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I use a flashlight while seated in my listening position to make sure that the K-402s are pointed at the right place by looking down the throat section of each K-402 while seated - you should be able to see the protective screen of the TADs that is symmetric within the throat area.

Once when a forum member was here (Indyklipschfan), he had a really good idea to help with pointing the 402.

His idea was pass a string through the center top hole in the flange of the horn to the bottom center hole of the flange, this puts a straight line right in the center. What this does is when sitting in your listening position you can eyeball the string with the screen on the inside of the driver, you can easily see if your looking perfectly at the center.

Then just adjust where you want and it's easy to make sure both sides are pointed equally the same.

Good one there with the string Dtel. At one time I was having "audio nerverooouuuso" [:o] so bad I kept moving the speakers an inch this way & then that way & on & on it went, until I finally used a pair of the cheep lazier lights for hanging photos level & such -squared them away on top the Cornwalls & the triangulation question was over. But then of course our sound still has inconsistency due to room lay out - so perfect equal distance & triangulation may still need to be accentuated to one side or the other. Like all my glass on one wall must surely be having an effect. [:D]

Life is good