which connection options are best to use?

likeitloud

Well, I got my new receiver today! Man... I am totally hooked. Went from my yamaha rx-v595 to a hk3490. I rearranged 1/2 the livingroom and moved a few pcs. of furniture downstairs to accommodate . But it was all well spent time. I am totally loving it. What huge difference! KG4's sounding sooo much better. Anyway, I am wondering if someone would tell me which connections are the best to use for components (digtal coaxial,optical,rca etc.),and what are the best brands?

In this order:

HDMI
Optical
Digital Coax
RCA

Whichever or these connections are supported by both drvices should be used.

That would be my order of preference also.

BTW, I often use my PS3 for a lot more than games and it supports HDMI out to the AVR. It is a darn nice DB/DVD player in addition to games. I have all of our pictures on it and it is more of a HTPC than just a game station.

Just saying. YMMV\!

I often use my PS3 for a lot more than games and it supports HDMI out to the AVR. It is a darn nice DB/DVD player in addition to games. I have all of our pictures on it and it is more of a HTPC than just a game station.

+1 [:D].. The PS3 is very versatile. It can also play 3D blu-rays and games, has WiFi internet access, and they have added new streaming media ( Netflix, NFL, NHL, MLB, Amazon, Hulu and more.....) It also has Music Unlimited, and the ability to download games......None of these are free by the way....just so we are clear..[H]

I am with every one here, depending what your budget is there are a lot of dvd/bd players that will give you great sound quality and many options. I have herd great reviews on that HK piece. I hope you enjoy it, with a phono input I hope you consider this as well; as it as well is a fun hobby.

Nick

I am very pleased with the new hk 3490! it sounds great with the kg's. I also use my old fisher tower speakers when using the tv. I am wondering if I can get some more advice though. (1.) I have a direct tv hd satellite receiver with hdmi cord running from it to our sony xbr 52' 3d tv (2.) audio l/r+video out going to the hk audio l/r+video in from the satellite with rca cables. (3.) component out from a dvd/vcr combo to component in on the tv with rca cables (4.)audio out from combo to audio in on tv using rca cables. (5.)digital audio coaxial cable from combo audio out to the digital audio coaxial in on the hk + rca cable from video out on combo to video in on hk. There is a digital optical out on the satellite receiver,a digital optical out on the tv,and and digital optical in on the hk. To use the digital optical audio through the hk, should I run it from the satellite receiver to the hk, or from the tv to the hk ?? There are no hdmi connections on the combo, or the hk , so digital optical seems to be the best option. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE IMPUT !!!

Let me see if I have this right.

If you have 2 video sources, Satellite, and dvd/vcr combo. Then I would run optical from both sources to the hk, then the video to the tv. You really don't need audio from the tv or going to it since you will be using your hk for audio out put. That should give you the best connections and simplest.

A word of advice, if you are going to be using your receiver for tv/movie watching it may be in your best interest to upgrade to a AVR next time you decide to spend some cash.

HI DUDER. FIRST OF ALL , THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT. I ONLY HAVE A DIGITAL COAX AUDIO OUTPUT ON THE COMBO, SO THATS WHY I AM USING THAT. I AM GOING TO GET A NEW CD PLAYER NEXT,AND PLAN TO USE DIGITAL OPTICAL FROM THAT TO THE HK. I ALSO PLAN ON RUNNING DIGITAL OPTICAL FROM THE SATELLITE TO THE HK, BUT THERE IS ONLY ONE DIGITAL OPTICAL INPUT ON THE HK. CAN I GET A SPLITTER TO PUT IN THE HK SO I CAN DO THAT? ,AND IF I CAN, AND DO, WILL I BE LOSING ANYTHING AS FAR AS AUDIO PERFORMANCE?EVENTUALLY I WILL USE AN OLDER YAMAHA AVR I HAVE FOR OUR HT, BUT RIGHT NOW I AM JUST WANTING TO GET THE BEST AUDIO I CAN WITH A SOMEWHAT LIMITED BUDGET. I AM THINKING OF GETTING A ONKYO C 7030 CD PLAYER. WITH ALL THAT BEING SAID , WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS / ADVICE ON THAT? I APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL INPUT! THANKS TO ALL !...... JEFF

HI DUDER. FIRST OF ALL , THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT. I ONLY HAVE A DIGITAL COAX AUDIO OUTPUT ON THE COMBO, SO THATS WHY I AM USING THAT. I AM GOING TO GET A NEW CD PLAYER NEXT,AND PLAN TO USE DIGITAL OPTICAL FROM THAT TO THE HK. I ALSO PLAN ON RUNNING DIGITAL OPTICAL FROM THE SATELLITE TO THE HK, BUT THERE IS ONLY ONE DIGITAL OPTICAL INPUT ON THE HK. CAN I GET A SPLITTER TO PUT IN THE HK SO I CAN DO THAT? ,AND IF I CAN, AND DO, WILL I BE LOSING ANYTHING AS FAR AS AUDIO PERFORMANCE?EVENTUALLY I WILL USE AN OLDER YAMAHA AVR I HAVE FOR OUR HT, BUT RIGHT NOW I AM JUST WANTING TO GET THE BEST AUDIO I CAN WITH A SOMEWHAT LIMITED BUDGET. I AM THINKING OF GETTING A ONKYO C 7030 CD PLAYER. WITH ALL THAT BEING SAID , WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS / ADVICE ON THAT? I APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL INPUT! THANKS TO ALL !...... JEFF

Rather than a CD player, perhaps you should look at a BluRay player. All BluRay players can play CD's, as well as DVD's and BluRay movies, and can usually stream Netflix, Blockbuster, Pandora, etc... They are cheap now days (less than $60 at Sam's).

IMO, for music sake, try out Pandora. It streams over the internet, and is great. and free... You search for an artist or a song, and Pandora creates a selection of songs and starts playing... If you get a BluRay player, make sure it has wifi, and make sure it has Pandora. Most of them do now days....

Here is a pic of the back of your stereo receiver:

post-49931-13819802447966_thumb.jpg