I DARE you to open this page (NOT BAD!)

kenratboy

PIA02679_lrg.jpg

Quite possible the largest image on the internet. If you don't want to wait for it, hit the STOP button and the "frame" will appear, showing its size. Enjoy!

56K users - 2+ hours

DSL/Cable - Few minuits

T1, T3, OC-X - It's done

Smile.gif

Oh, its 20 MB...

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

This message has been edited by kenratboy on 06-11-2002 at 02:28 AM

Ahh, my first victim!

rat.jpg

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

LA on a VERY clear day, unless this is a mosaic of pics. What's really cool, is this shot goes all the way down to Long Beach. You can make out the Sea Launch facilities, about two thirds of the way to the right, and towards the bottom, just above the breakwater. Sea Launch is actually a converted North Sea oil platform used to launch rockets into space. My company has one launching at the end of the week.

quote:

Originally posted by kenratboy:

PIA02679_lrg.jpg

Quite possible the largest image on the internet. If you don't want to wait for it, hit the STOP button and the "frame" will appear, showing its size. Enjoy!

56K users - 2+ hours

DSL/Cable - Few minuits

T1, T3, OC-X - It's done

Smile.gif

Oh, its 20 MB...

is the rat teh 20mb pic? i wanna see the 20mb pic! Smile.gif i will take a 50mb pic today, you can check that out Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Justin, in Photoshop or 3D Studio MAX 4.2, I can make a picture that is HUGE (5000 X 5000) and save it as some sort of a RAW (as in raw) format which gives it no compression.

If you were not joking, right click on the BIG image and go to properties, it is just shy of 20 MB.

Hey, we could ban all 56K'ers by putting our text in 10-50 MB pictures!

Justin, you didn't need to repost my picture, LOL! Smile.gif

Justin, on the site, there is also a HUGE Houston image, here is the link:

Enronville

OTHERS:

Tucson

New Orleans

Honolulu

San Francisco

Salt Lake City

No. Cal. and part of East Bay

Tasmania (lived their 1 year)

Night

THE SITE:

NASA Earth Observatory

------------------

This message has been edited by kenratboy on 06-11-2002 at 12:03 PM

sorry, i got a broken image when i looked at this page earlier at my other computer, it is loading on this computer... wonder what was up?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

As long as you got it to work!

Remember, the two big images on this page are 40 MB. A computer with 64 or 128 MB of memory will be taxed to display them without caching to the HD.

------------------

thanks for the links! http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/ click on Site Updates and you can see the newest pics. what a find. ever check out terraserve? i think that is it. a microsoft venture... pretty neet.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

OK, check this out:

Go to MapQuest , search for a place (your house, work, property, etc.) and then click on the aerial photo tab, it is great! They have a vert detailed picture of my house, school, work, and city in general. I can acually see my chimney, cars, etc.!

------------------

quote:

Originally posted by jhawk92:

LA on a VERY clear day, unless this is a mosaic of pics. What's really cool, is this shot goes all the way down to Long Beach. You can make out the Sea Launch facilities, about two thirds of the way to the right, and towards the bottom, just above the breakwater. Sea Launch is actually a converted North Sea oil platform used to launch rockets into space. My company has one launching at the end of the week.

PANAMSAT???????

jhawk92:

You best be telling us more about the rockets. That is cool! Is it satellites for whatever?

Tell us more, or I will call Greenpeace (Frown.gif) !!!

------------------

i did that mapquest thing... the picture says copy right 2002... but how old is the picture cause my house is not on there. my house is new so that makes sense, i can see the tennis courts and pools... but not my house Frown.gif

myhouse.jpg

the red circle is where my house WOULD be if the picture was updated. Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Oh! I am sorry Lord Justin, I forgot to get up-to-the-minuite aerial photos of your ManorSmile.gif

Actually, the picts of one of my old houses is a field, the house was built in the earley 80's, so the image is over 20 years old. Most of them are aerial pictures instead of satellite work, its probably way cheaper, especially if the image is OLD and WORTHLESS!!!

------------------

well when you get a chance could you update the pics? Smile.gif haha. but it was neat to do a "flyby"of sorts of my friends neighborhood. all those houses are there and his neighborhood is about 10-20 years old. wonder when they will update these. i would like for them to do a SERIOUS update. like the pictures are super high resolution and you can zoom in close enough to be able to tell the cars in the drive way. i know the gov't has limits on how close a satellite can go, but i saw once on 20/20 that they can zoom in close enough to get a picture of a person's face, the reporters.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Soundjunkie-

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I guess being a fellow CT'er, you figured that one out. I've been working here for about 2 years and enjoy it.

Kenrat-

Ok, do you want the full version with orbital mechanics, or just the "lay-person's" version? I can get really crazy with all sorts of orbital element sets and yes, even use some logarithms, since those seem to be everyone's favorite as of late... Smile.gif

Actually, my company is one of the largest providers of satellite bandwidth in the world. In fact, the great majority of you are actually using our satellites without even knowing it. Two big ones; most of the large networks, ABC, HBO, TNT, etc use our satellites to get the signals from their HQ/editing locations to the cable companies, who then distribute it to the country. Second, everyone use "pay at the pump?" The large majority of those transactions are handled over our satellites.

As far as rockets go, I used to launch them in my last job in the AF, so that's quite a rush! This launch will put a replacement satellite up in orbit for us. The majority of communications satellites use an orbit at the equator called geosynchronous, or geostationary (GEO for short). That way, they are orbiting at the same speed as the earth rotates, so from the ground, they appear to be in the same spot in the sky. That makes it easy to point large antennas at them. This satellite will eventually end up at nearly same longitude as my alma mater, KU, in Lawrence, KS.

Hope I didn't bore the board too much. Basically, I used to be a rocket scientist, now I'm only a satellite engineer. Frown.gif

jhawk

Cool, no, there is NO WAY to bore me with science or math. Trig and physics for me next yearSmile.gif

I am suprised the eco freaks don't "liberate" the facility, it would be convenient for them, warm water and close to hotels/restaurants...

Our family does a lot of GPS stuff, we have DSS and DSL, so we all appreciate the fact there are satellites.

How impressive are the launches?

------------------

Ken-

The launches are quite impressive. Even TheEars and all his subs can't match up with a rocket launch. Smile.gif Even 3-4 miles away, launches can rumble your insides. You have to be that far away for safety concerns. Basically, you have a giant firecracker, once lit, there isn't much you can do to turn it off.

However, they don't launch from that location, Long Beach. They actually sail about 3000 miles SE of Hawaii and launch from the equator. That way, you can use the rotational speed of the earth to give your rocket a boost. It also helps save fuel because you are launching from the equator, rather than, say, Florida, because the rocket requires fuel to deliver the satellite to the equator.

It's actually much more technical than that, but should suffice for this forum.