Advice on used values of discontinued Reference Series (RF-83 / RF-63 / RC-64)

MRC2011

What are RF-83's really worth? RF-63's? Rc-64?

Prices seem to be all over the place. Shipping seems to be the biggest prohibitive factor in obtaining the best deal.

I have been exploring deals with reasonable travel distance to pick them up. I have just been offered a pair of black RF-83's for $1200.00. The only catch is they are "B-stock" with no boxes or manuals, but in excellent condition. Another drawback is they won't match my cherry RF-63's. I am just not sure this is a good deal, advice from members is greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

I wouldn't have any problem with B-stock.

I just searched
CL and RF-83's are listed between $1000 and $1500. IMO, the RF-83's are
definitely worth $1200. I have listened to a lot of Klipsch speakers so
far and I've yet to want to "upgrade" to anything else.

I have seen RF-63's go for around $800 and RC-64 are typically around $500.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't have any problem with B-stock.

I just searched CL and RF-83's are listed between $1000 and $1500. IMO, the RF-83's are definitely worth $1200. I have listened to a lot of Klipsch speakers so far and I've yet to want to "upgrade" to anything else.

I have seen RF-63's go for around $800 and RC-64 are typically around $500.

Hope that helps.

Oh come on now, look at your avitar, you have not stopped buying speakers.

• Moderators

Oh come on now, look at your avitar, you have not stopped buying speakers.

I don't buy because I have a desire to upgrade my RF-83's, I buy for experience. I enjoy hearing, comparing, demoing and experiencing the joy of listening to all Klipsch as well as B&W speakers and share that experience with the Klipsch community. I hope that one day, I will be able to say I have owned at one point most if not all that Klipsch has to offer (doubt I'll ever own ALL of them).

• Moderators

I know, I was just looking at your avitar and chuckling. It has grown.

Yeah, I used to poke fun at guys who had large quantities of Klipsch....now I've become "that guy". LOL

I have not heard the RF83'2 but I am guessing that they are very good speakers.

I absolutely love them. For Home Theater, they are absolutely fantastic. For 2ch, they sound really great when I pull them out from behind my false wall. Something changes acoustically when they are tucked away in their little corners. IMO, for HT, they are hard to beat. My son is watching The Amazing Spiderman now with his friend.

To the OP, I'm assuming from your silence that the deal did not go through with the 83's? I hope you are able to aquire a pair because they truly are fantastic.

For 2ch, they sound really great when I pull them out from behind my false wall. Something changes acoustically when they are tucked away in their little corners. IMO, for HT, they are hard to beat. My son is watching The Amazing Spiderman now with his friend.

Reflections. Get them out into the room or put something on the walls to absorb the reflections. Look up "early reflections" and "comb filtering."

• Moderators

Biggest problem is the "pocket" where the RF-83's reside isn't large enough enclosure for me to be able to toe them inwards enough to obtain proper imaging. The "doors" for the false wall are the main problem. Just not sure how to fix it. I have acoustic panels throughout the room and also at the first reflection points.