Breaking in new speakers?

tripod

I am the proud new owner of a SC-1. In researching speakers prior to my purchase I have encountered many references to speakers being broken in. Are there any certain exercises I can put the speaker through to expedite this, or is it just a matter of use over time? Thanks!

Just play often as you plan to use it. Some do set their CD player to continous or set receiver to FM and play 24/7 for a couple of days. Lower volume at night. There are those who don't believe in Breaking in electronic components.

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 06-11-2002 at 01:58 PM

THINK!!!

In a hour, your tweeter will go through TENS OF MILLIONS of cycles and your woofers will go through HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of cycles.

Yes, the first few SECONDS may do somthing, but after that, I don't think there would be any AUDIABLE difference.

It has been said, you ears are the things that need to breaking in!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Think : a car suspension goes through how many oscillations a second. It does get softer, and more compliant with usage, as does other products. Remember when you were a kid ? Did you play baseball ? With a leather glove that you had to " work in " so that it, in turn became softer and easier to use ? The same can be said of the cloth used in the spider of a woofer and the surround on the cone. I really believe that with usage, the q values and the vas of the speaker do change. Why else would companies " burn in " their woofers and cone midranges before measurement ? I highly doubt that they would just do it for the hell of it. ( just my opinion ) no offence.

I agree with Kenratboy the "break in" thing is a joke. I will challenge anyone to try and prove prove this to make a difference that would be audible to the human ear (on an ociliscope). I've been told I need to spend $$$$ on wire because of something called "skin effect". I do beleive this "skin effect" occurs at above 20,000Hz (ask an engineer not a salesman or magazine writer). The human ear can not preceive ANY sound above 20,000Hz. It's all marketing speakers either sound good (to your ear) or they do not. Long story short you are good to go.

Enjoy

This message has been edited by Airpirate CVG on 06-12-2002 at 09:04 PM

No offense but another baseless web site. Please find a real Electrical Engineer. What matters is what you can hear. You will not be able to perceive any differences in sound due to the speed at which signals travel down a wire. Kind of like trying to flip off a light switch and jump into bed before the flow of electrictity has stopped at the bulb. The speed of electricity is much faster than a human can preceive without the aid of anylitcal equiptment. Don't get me wrong I am not saying that I would use crap wire either but, you won't "hear" any difference between base Monster Cable versus $$$ per foot Monster Cable. The quality of your equipment is more important. For evedence of this marketing look at the topic "replacement midrange driver" and you'll see where Klipsch thinks their speakers are as "hard a diamonds" using the "Mohs hardness scale". No offense to Klipsch but, this scale is no good for the purpose of speakers. Read through it and you should be able to read between the (sales) lines". By the way diamonds as with most minerals are measured with the "Rockwell Scale" not "Mohs. Again no offense.. Just hard facts.

This message has been edited by Airpirate CVG on 06-12-2002 at 09:44 PM

I got some 1977 cornwalls a couple of months ago. Now, after these first two months, they are really starting to sing. I guess they needed a break-in period. The soundstage has widened, bass tightened up and the highs are now less harsh.

Mace

Mace,

It wasn't a break in period you gave to those 77 Cornwalls, it was a blowing out...LOL! You just knocked the corrosion off the copper in the voice coils is all...they probably sat more than they were listened to before you bought them...

Just like an old car that has sat up with little or no use...crud dries up in the oil journals and they need a good "blowing out"!

I recently sat with an audio engineer and had a chat...we both laughed about all the hoopla over breaking in speakers, high-dollar wire, bi-wiring, etc...

Fact is...if you can write something that appears legit to promote something, you can sell it...pretty simple!! Apples and Oranges...most people don't REALLY hear anything different, it is just that they ANTICIPATE something different and that makes it so in their perception!!

Part of human nature!!

By the way, I am gonna be marketing some depleted uranium 14 guage flat/braided speaker wire in super-shielding sheathing...at $10,000 a meter...get your orders in now!! If you think copper and gold and silver are great conductors, wait til you try this!! The signal actually arrives at the speaker before you turn on the amplifier!!

You can find the white paper on this wire at www.ironpyrite.com Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 06-14-2002 at 12:15 AM

quote:

Originally posted by HDBRbuilder:

By the way, I am gonna be marketing some depleted uranium 14 guage flat/braided speaker wire in super-shielding sheathing...at $10,000 a meter...get your orders in now!!

I can send you a non-collectable IOU for two equal length 3 meter pair.cwm35.gif

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Builder,

Sign me up for some of that wire, but only if it is phase corrected and amplitude equalized.

Yes, my cornwalls which you put together did finally break in. I think it was due more to the mice, which were nibbling at the cabinets' inside lining, finally moving out of the speaker cabinets.

Mace

If you took the time to read my post, I said there may have been a change in the first SECONDS of the speakers life.

Baseball glove - Get a paseball glove and use it a THOUSAND times, it will probably be better. A speaker can do a THOUSAND cycles in lass than a second, or, at 20Hz, it will take 50 seconds.

Car suspention - See above.

Its about the NUMBER OF CYCLES, not the TIME PERIOD. A speaker does a lot more cycles in its lifetime than a door, baseball glove, etc. It can usually do these in a few minuits.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!