Serial number appearance?

tripod

I just bought a Klipsch SC-1 from an online retailer. After receiving it I read Klipsch.com's statement about unauthorized dealers. Now I'm starting to be paranoid about the whole deal. It was shipped in a factory box and has the factory owner's manual and packing. However, the box was opened in order to insert the shipping paperwork. Other than that, almost everything looks legit. The only thing that seems a little out of place is that the serial number is printed on a white laminated paper label instead of the metal plate I would have expected. Is this how Klipsch does their serial numbers or is something going on here? Thanks for your advice!

where did you get them online?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Bought it from acousticsounddesign.com. They seemed like a big enough operation, so I thought they were legit. They even encourage customers to post their buying experience to HT boards! What should the serial number look like? I guess I better call Klipsch and see what they say about the whole thing. Hey Bryan2, what was the outcome with your SS-1?

quote:

Originally posted by tripod:

The only thing that seems a little out of place is that the serial number is printed on a white laminated paper label instead of the metal plate I would have expected.

I don't recall ever seeing Klipsch Serial Numbers on metal plates. Actually, the "Unauthorized Dealer Terms and Conditions" are applicable regardless of how the the Seial Numbers are afixed to the speakers. Click on the lower right hand of your screen, the link will explain Klipsch's policy in detail.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

I just meant that the appearance of the serial number caught my eye as unusual. This being my first Klipsch speaker (hopefully it's really a Klipsch) I don't know what the original serial number should look like, I just know this one looks wrong.

Are there ANY authorized online retailers of Klipsch products? I tried using their dealer locator and only found brick and mortar locations.

Anyone have some feedback regarding acousticsounddesign.com?

Tripod - UBID is the only Klipsch-authorized Internet dealer, to my knowledge.

Please call Klipsch and ask them about the serial number. I'm very interested in knowing the results, as I have used acousticsounddesign in the past (with no problems at all) and I have suggested them to others. I don't want to steer people in the wrong direction!

bryan2 - From where did you purchase your SS-1s with the serial number issue?

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 06-11-2002 at 02:26 PM

I purchased my white SS-1 from 50topsellers.com. The condition of the box was exactly the same with what Tripod has described. The back of the speakers is a funny looking laminated white paper containing the "serial number". I made a complain to Klipsch and even posted at this forum, because of a stained grill. Klipsch found out that the "S/N" was fake. Klipsch, however, gave me some consideration and send me a grill replacement. Thanks mostly to BobG, PhilH and Trey.

I've bought from SoundDistributors.com and have had no problems or complaints with their merchandise. Eric Winston has always a pleasure to work with.

They warranty their sales which runs concurrently with Klipsch's warranty time frames. Fortunately I have not needed parts or service, which could entail shipping items back to Sound Distributors.

There's definately a risk in not purchasing from an Authorized Dealer.

Caveat Emptor!!s>c>

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 06-11-2002 at 05:24 PM

Okay, here's the update.

I contacted Klipsch and found out the following:

The speaker I have is an authentic Klipsch product

The serial number on the back is not a Klipsch serial number

My speaker is not in any way covered by the Klipsch warranty

It seems that acousticsounddesign.com somehow buys speakers from an authorized dealer, but in an under-the-table deal. In order to keep the authorized dealer out of trouble, they then remove the Klipsch serial number to prevent tracing the product's sales history. I guess this is all in order to avoid some sort of fees or licensing/pricing requirement imposed by Klipsch. I'm not real clear on the details of this part.

It looks like the bottom line is that if you use an online retailer other than Ubid, you are buying an unauthorized product, but not necessarily an non-authentic one. Just be sure to carefully check out who you're buying it from and you can get a great deal online. I saved nearly $100 on just the one speaker compared to buying it from my local Tweeter store. The only downside is that I'll have to ship it to Las Vegas for warranty work if it is ever needed.

Let me add that I have been very happy with my experience with acousticsounddesign thus far. I haven't had any problems with the speaker, so I can't comment on their warranty fulfillment, but the sales and shipping experience was great. The speaker also arrived in perfect condition in a factory box.

This message has been edited by tripod on 06-12-2002 at 01:21 PM

Similar Warranty Policies are becoming the trend. I believe just last week there was a press release by Chrysler which stated that: US Dealers did not have to honor warranty repairs or claims, if a US citizen purchased their vehicle from a Canadian Dealership. Manufacturers have to keep their dealer network in business.

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>