Identifying speakers

mpurvis

Soundjunkie,

First of all...it being Father's day has no effect on me whatsoever...since I am not now, nor ever have been, a father...and my own father has been dead for two decades!!

Second of all...your posting of my AOL profile on this bulletin board shows you to be a crass individual with little or no class!! I left my e-mail address available in my forum profile for those who may want to e-mail me...NOT for some low-life to try and poke fun at me by posting to this serious forum my tongue-in-cheek AOL profile for the particular e-mail address screenname I use the most...UNDERSTAND?? I certainly hope you do!! Especially since you did't leave your OWN actual e-mail address in your forum profile for others to perform the same treatment on you!! Being CHICKENSH*T is the term we use for that where I come from!! I certainly hope you got some sicko form of satisfaction from doing that, since you have shown your true colors to me in the process of doing it! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 06-17-2002 at 02:35 AM

HDBRBuilder,

Please do not let the "chickensh*ts" stifle your postings to this forum. I have found them to be some of the most fascinating and informative comments here.

To hear detailed descriptions of not only the building processes of the heritage Klipsch speakers, but also the anecdotes about the personalities involved in the company (particulary one PWK) has helped to make this forum a twice-daily (at least) stop in my internet journeys.

So keep 'em coming, and please continue to re-instruct those who think they know jack, but don't know sh*t!

HDBRbuilder, there is no form of satisfaction in doing anything of the sort. IN FACT, your AOL profile is available on the web to any and all AOL users and is public information. I am not the only one able to view it. If you think there is anything there that is hurtful to YOU, then YOU should remove it from your profile. IN FACT, there is a screen that pops up before you enter this info to inform you that it is viewable by any. IN FACT, my email address was available up until last week but removed it when I updated my preferences as it seems private messages and IM is the preferred method of communication here. IN FACT, my AOL profile never contained info...so there would be nothing for to post here, nothing to hide. IN FACT, I have noticed your postings have gradually gone from quaint sharings of your time at Klipsch along with informative building tips to snubbing FACTS and FIGURES others have presented on the BB, even when presented with measured data from credible sources OR when the subject is clearly outside of your area of expertise. You present as FACT, your perception of fact as it suits your "should be" and "shouldn't be" model, and in doing so, lace your postings with arguement based upon alchemy(effectively you are able to make, through excellent construction techniques, the density of plywood = the density of concrete from above), contempt for differing opinions through ridicule(any cable discussion whatsoever comes to mind), rudeness(your SHELL anwser man interpretation of "FACT") in an attempt to force others to see it your way or the highway, disbelief that your "COMMON SENSE" isn't others(if it were COMMON, everyone would know and believe what you do right?) and now... name-calling? Me thinks you are starting to become a 900lb gorilla of sorts. IN FACT, the FACT that you even qualified your sentence with the phrase "pizzing contest" showed me, and I think others, that you were foreshadowing this very conversation and it's outcome through your new found combative nature. You may be able to "pizz" further or higher, and I really can't comment on how far or high up a rope that you can since I really don't know(although I DO think you'll try to tell me how far I can), but that's not really what I'M here for. IN FACT, I am sorry you are somehow troubled by my posting of your AOL profile...so I have removed it, but I am genuinely concerned with MY PERCEPTION of your change in "tone" here recently. I think the BB is having a negative impact on you, just MY FACT. Lighten up and have some fun with it.

This message has been edited by SOUNDJUNKIE on 06-17-2002 at 08:28 AM

PWK never lost his passion for audio. He could talk your ear off with information about all things audio. HDBR nailed it! From 1989 on, the company was no longer his, he had retired.

PWK had strong opinions on certain things. If you wanted to change his mind on something, you had to prove it! No one ever proved to him that "front mounting" really had that many benefits. Remember, he had to balance production factors with everything else.

Tony

Soundjunkie,

No matter whether my AOL profile is AVAILABLE for view at anytime by others or not...you were still being crass and low-class by posting it to this bulletin board...especially in the context of your statements preceding the posting of it...plain and simple fact!!

It did NOTHING but reveal your true nature to me and others on this bulletin board.

As for your statements above about me...all I see is a continuance of your crass and low-class nature in saying what you just said...yet again revealing YOUR true nature!!

I know alot more than you may think about ALOT of things, too!!...not just assembly of a speaker cabinet!!

As for my statements here and there about "white papers", etc...well...anybody who is even the least bit SCIENTIFICALLY INCLINED, knows that blanket statements based on read testing of just one incidence, instead of using a cross-sampling for the evaluations involved in the testing and averaging of the results to achieve a TRULY scientific method, is folly...again, plain and simple!!

To believe that the testing of ONE speaker in ONE concrete block wall corner, is truly scientifically valid across the board for ALL concrete block constructed walls...the same for the drywall wall corner...isn't exactly scientific method, is it? I am sure the individual who performed this testing was honest in his results(or I would at least hope so), but to use those results to make a blanket statement is ludicrous at best, and something to consider, before making such a statement!!

As for the plywood being more dense than concrete, I never said that at all...I even made a point to say that since the media used for my version of a false corner would be more AKIN to the media used on the k-horn itself in sonic qualities, that it SHOULD be a better performer as the continuance of the outside panels of final outside length of the folded horn in the bass bin...especially since it would have equal or better rigidity in the design I would use to build it!! Try reading what I SAY sometime, instead of READING INTO IT!!

As for ridicule of others, I have not done so...I have just stated the truth...and I did recently sit down with an audio engineer and WE DID have a good laugh about some of the extremes(and extreme expense) to which some people go in order to squeeze some little bit of real OR percieved extra performance from the speakers!! That isn't ridicule, that is fact!!..IT HAPPENED!!

If those with deep pockets decide to purchase things to improve their systems it is their business...but there seems to be in a FEW members the "mine has got to be better than...somebody's...because I have spent more on ...whatever" attitude...which I kinda find disheartening...and am honest in letting my feelings on the subject be known!!

There is also a tendencey of some to believe everything they read, and then to interpret specific individual results as the gospel for all situations...without paying attention to whether truly scientific cross-section averaging of results was even used...kinda sad, isn't it? My pointing this out may seem like ridicule, but in actuality, I am just POINTING IT OUT!!

Nothing I said about differences in concrete block walls or drywall-sheathed walls was Bullsh*t...but was instead based on fact...and anybody who has ever been involved in construction knows this, too!!

As for speaker wire...hey...if folks want to pay a fortune for it...more power to them...it is just funny to me...and at least one audio engineer, too!! Smile.gif

As for my "lightening up" from now on...it seems like you tend to try and FIND something about me to pick at, instead of just reading what I say, without trying to interpret it into something you WANT it to say...maybe it is YOU who needs to lighten up some, huh?

This thread was begun by an individual who wanted to know the model of speakers he had, and who was a bit concerned over the mounting method of the components in those speakers...I was totally honest in my statements addressing his concerns.

As this thread took on a life of its own, I also addressed other issues as they reared their heads...I see nothing wrong with that, myself.

But, please tell me....what did your posting of my AOL profile have to do with anything in this thread? Other than an attempt by you to maybe ridicule ME? Hmmmm!! Again...my honesty says it was crass and low-class...nothing more...nothing less...at least to me!! And your diatribe that followed my honesty in saying this..in which you continued to bash me, confirms my initial, reaction to what you did! As the "Good Book" says: "Do unto others...." but you didn't allow that, did you? The fact that you retracted that posting 24 hours later still doesn't take away from the fact that you posted it to start with, does it? Smile.gif

P.S. Besides, Soundjunkie, your credibility with me was destroyed in your smart-a**ed bullsh*t comments about my MegaMonth Klipsch Stein being available through EBAY from you in the form of a Chinese-made copy...LOL! Just one example of an earlier instance of YOU attempting to ridicule ME!! My honesty says this: Once a jerk, always a jerk!!

------------------

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 06-18-2002 at 09:30 AM

Quotes from builder: <<I know alot more than you may think about ALOT of things, too!!...not just assembly of a speaker cabinet!!

As for my statements here and there about "white papers", etc...well...anybody who is even the least bit SCIENTIFICALLY INCLINED, knows that blanket statements based on read testing of just one incidence, instead of using a cross-sampling for the evaluations involved in the testing and averaging of the results to achieve a TRULY scientific method, is folly...again, plain and simple!!

To believe that the testing of ONE speaker in ONE concrete block wall corner, is truly scientifically valid across the board for ALL concrete block constructed walls...the same for the drywall wall corner...isn't exactly scientific method, is it? I am sure the individual who performed this testing was honest in his results(or I would at least hope so), but to use those results to make a blanket statement is ludicrous at best, and something to consider, before making such a statement!!

As for the plywood being more dense than concrete, I never said that at all...I even made a point to say that since the media used for my version of a false corner would be more AKIN to the media used on the k-horn itself in sonic qualities, that it SHOULD be a better performer as the continuance of the outside panels of final outside length of the folded horn in the bass bin...especially since it would have equal or better rigidity in the design I would use to build it!! Try reading what I SAY sometime, instead of READING INTO IT!!

As for ridicule of others, I have not done so...I have just stated the truth...and I did recently sit down with an audio engineer and WE DID have a good laugh about some of the extremes(and extreme expense) to which some people go in order to squeeze some little bit of real OR percieved extra performance from the speakers!! That isn't ridicule, that is fact!!..IT HAPPENED!!

There is also a tendencey of some to believe everything they read, and then to interpret specific individual results as the gospel for all situations...without paying attention to whether truly scientific cross-section averaging of results was even used...kinda sad, isn't it? My pointing this out may seem like ridicule, but in actuality, I am just POINTING IT OUT!!

Nothing I said about differences in concrete block walls or drywall-sheathed walls was Bullsh*t...but was instead based on fact...and anybody who has ever been involved in construction knows this, too!! As for speaker wire...hey...if folks want to pay a fortune for it...more power to them...it is just funny to me...and at least one audio engineer, too!! As for my "lightening up" from now on...it seems like you tend to try and FIND something about me to pick at, instead of just reading what I say, without trying to interpret it into something you WANT it to say...maybe it is YOU who needs to lighten up some, huh?>>

No Builder, this is not about putting words in your mouth OR about misconstruing your comments OR an effort to embarrass you OR about picking on you as school children do on the playground...so please don't pretend to be soooo fragile and take the criticism like an adult. This is a forum where ideas and information are shared and we want to believe in everything we read, but as YOU so eloquently put it, we shouldn't... so we should have to PROVE our comments. These are your rules, as stated by YOU many, many times over...all while invoking the memory of PWK. No, this is about inconsistency in your statements and a personal attack that you initiated on someone with seemingly rational comments about proper testing and sampling procedures, and within the same breath, committed the same faux pas to which you claim to be so grossly offended. Was this not an attempt by YOU to RIDICULE them??! If you are going to talk the talk buddy... then walk the walk! Now I know YOU said that you took a sample(read one) of an engineer's position on the merits of all expensive cables and... YOU present it as a blanket statement and thus credibility/scientifically valid to your arguement??? YOU, in response to a graph that YOU say is flawed because it wasn't a representative sample of many walls, make a bold statement that you are able to construct a wall better than ANY drywall, concrete or wood wall and don't show proof of that?? Where is the proper SAMPLING, TESTING and PROOF pertaining to the effectiveness YOUR construction over ALL others while you refute, as YOU make it sound, such an egregious mistake by another forum member? Oh yeah...concrete/block walls differ so dramatically from each other as to negate a 12dB increase at 50Hz over drywall construction? Well... if you're going to say that, you better have at least one test graph to even START that arguement let alone tests and supporting documentation from the multitude of examples for "proper cross sampling for evaluation"! No... builder, these ARE your words. There is no mistake here and no reading into anything you say. It is YOU that misspoke and made a know-it-all jerk out of yourself. It is not I that embarrassed you, YOU did it to yourself and any further attempt at deflection will be transparent. It would be best if you left the testing to the scientifically inclined. Any reply to this http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002168.html ... or not? PS If you really knew what a jerk is then you would know one would say to you,""Well if you know so much about other things then why don't you know "alot" isn't a word?""

This message has been edited by SOUNDJUNKIE on 06-20-2002 at 10:20 PM

re: "....'alot' isn't a word." Well, my 7 lb. Webster's doesn't have 'Klipschorn' in it either, but I believe most of the forum members know what one is. And a good 10% or more of everything Samuel L. Clemens ever put on paper wasn't found in the dictionaries of his time, either...but he was acclaimed world-wide as one of the greatest writers of his time...your point is????? Smile.gif

As for your statement that my conversation with that particular audio engineer was a sampling of one...he paraphrased at least two other audio engineers during the conversation on the subjects we discussed...one of which was PWK...WRONG AGAIN, SON!! Smile.gif

The Jerk returneth! Need I say more?

How about me saying this?: GROW UP, GET A LIFE, and try contributing something WORTHWHILE to this forum, instead of following me around from post to post giving me a hard time!! GEEZ!!...some children just don't know when to be seen and not heard!! Smile.gif

------------------

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 06-21-2002 at 01:16 AM

I once worked with a guy that insisted in insulting me daily. One day, after an insult, I simply looked at the guy and said "I just consider the source". Funny, he learned some respect for me at that point and he actually became a friend. One who insists in insulting or belittling you generally has a very low self-esteem. You should pity them.

I'll take Mr. BUILDER's experience over all the graphs and "data" any day. The response curves for the Heritage line are not very pretty. I would not trade my Lascala's for any of those flat-line 20-20K speakers. They're crap.

Ed

Ed, I fail to see the parallel you attempt to draw with your story and it's relevance to my obtaining the required the proper data via proper testing procedures. I would tend to agree that builder has described a wood studded wall that is superior in CONSTRUCTION to many, if not all, wood studded walls...that is not an issue. I seek good data, the kind that builder himself has expressed a need for through proper testing procedures, that supports his grandiose claim that HIS wood studded false corner wall WORKS better than any wall when used with a K-horn. It is simple to understand. I really don't care to know what PWK had used with PWK's K-horns as we don't know it's construction AND don't know if it measured up better than any other wall...it is irrelevent. I also don't see any need for testimonials as it is not scientific and hearsay. As for embarassing anyone, this should only be embarrassing to one if such a claim is made and can't be supported by the data. There is no shame in producing data. If there is in fact no data...then it is a matter of the emperor has no clothes. No childish insults hurled from this side, simply adult inquiry.

Fellow forum members:

Please don't post here in support of me on the above issue. There is no use in setting yourselves up to be the target of his next demeaning diatribe. Many of you have already let me know how you feel through e-mails and private messages. Leave it at that, please.

It seems obsessive jerkitis has no cure! Smile.gif I hope it isn't contagious!! This recently so-called "900 lb. gorilla" writer has enough health problems already!! Smile.gif

------------------

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 06-22-2002 at 01:15 PM