CD/DVD/BD Player Skipping.........?

willland

An old HH Scott CD player was freezing, skipping, and distorting so I took it out of service from my bedroom 2-channel system. I was left with no CD player with my NAD T773 receiver so I moved my NAD C542 player into that system.

Moved my wonderful Integra DPS-10.5 universal player into my main system and popped in the SACD of Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms". Just my luck, the Integra did not recognize the SACD so I switched to the CD layer and it played perfectly. Flipped back over to the SACD layer and the screen read "no disk".

Being the determined(stubborn) man that I am, I was not going to have my $2300.00(I paid $200.00) flagship 26.7lbs universal player not play SACD's. I proceeded to do a Google search for "CD lazer cleaner" and I found this:

thtp://www.amazon.com/Digital-Innovations-60120-00-CleanDr-Cleaner/dp/B0007U9SRE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid13526790=53&sr=8-3&keywords=laser+disc+cleaner

I read several very favorable reviews and ordered two of them and one of the BD player versions.

Received them in four business days and immediately popped one into my Integra player and let it do it's thing and popped back in that Dire Straits SACD and voila', it immediately recognized it as an SACD and played it wonderfully. Same goes for that old HH Scott player, perfect playback. I used it to clean all my CD players including my favorite Denon DCD-3520 behemoth. I used the BD cleaner disk for my Oppo and now on to my older Panasonic DMP-BD30 which occasionally freezes.

Anybody with a BD player or anyone that still owns CD and DVD players, do yourself a favor and get one of these lazer cleaner disks, well worth it.

Bill

413bDP2K2NL.jpg

I was a little skeptical about these things, but seems people are generally satisified. For $8, might as well be worth trying. My Denon CD player sometimes skips on some disks, although they still play perfectly in other players, including my ancient Sharp DX-200 player, which I still use with my outdoor rig, and even my PC. I also went and ordered the Blu-Ray as well as the PS/3 version. Thanks for the heads-up on this! [Y]

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered one from amazon, should arrive next week. Hopefully it will be a stop gap measure until I pull my CDP & clean the lens with Kodak lens cleaner. Just didn't feel like moving a huge breakfront & my Chorus II's to pull the unit. If I do that I wiill swap in a Rotel cdp for the existing Sony ES.

I once considered something like this for my (then....notice I said "then") McIntosh MVP841 because of similar stuff going on. WHen I called Mac, they told me don't use one of those if your life depeded on it. Mac lasers (i.e. - Dennon) rely on 3-springs that are smaller than a human hair to adjust the focusing of the beam for double layer discs. If you use one that uses a brush to clean off the lens it might not be toast right away but but eventually.......