can i split an input signal?

Scrappydue

hey guys i was wondering if anyone has ever split a input signal. i am thinking of just implementing my 2 channel stuff into my home theater. because i love the 63's with music so much. what i was wondering if i could do, is since the usp-1 has the home theater bypass made but only available if you use the bass management. i hate that. i only want full range with no subs. i know i know, everyone should have a sub with music. blah blah blah. any music to me that needs a sub can be played through something else. the stuff that i enjoy through my 2 channel setup to me does not need a sub with these bad boys on xpa-2 power. so i was wondering if i was to plug a pigtail into the xpa-2 inputs can i run two seperate sources into it as long as they are not on at the same time?like for movies would be source>avr>amp with y cable on each side. music would be source>pre-amp>amp, other side of the splitter. would that be ok? i am thinking it would work just fine as long as i wasn't trying to ever do both at the same time.

A nice two channel preamp with home theater bypass is really the way to go trust me.

bobdog, i already have that. if you read my issue again the problem i have with it is that the ht bypass mode only allows me to use a a high pass and low pass outputs for music. i want to use full band only.

You are going to have to buy a switch box, a different two channel preamp, or just plug the different cables into the amp when you want to play music. That is unbelievable they would not design a bypass for the bass management into a two channel preamp. The other thing you can do is just use another input on the preamp (if it does not have to go thru BM) and use the volume control to achieve unity gain when watching movies.

• Moderators

Where is the signal coming from Br or DVD player, I didn't catch that ?

The reason I ask is I use a optical splitter to send a signal to both 2 Ch and HT from the same BR player, works great and both can be used at the same time. Other connections can work like that also just find the splitter, I have never ran into a problem even playing both at the same time, just to see what would happen.

I was thinking optical would be the hardest considering it's a beam of light but I found the splitter at monoprice and it works great.

Where is the signal coming from Br or DVD player, I didn't catch that ?

The reason I ask is I use a optical splitter to send a signal to both 2 Ch and HT from the same BR player, works great and both can be used at the same time. Other connections can work like that also just find the splitter, I have never ran into a problem even playing both at the same time, just to see what would happen.

I was thinking optical would be the hardest considering it's a beam of light but I found the splitter at monoprice and it works great.

dtel the signal would be analog only via RCA cables. One signal from the avr for movies the other from my usp-1 for music. Both straight into my xpa-2 for amplification

• Moderators

I would get a RCA to XLR cable and use separate inputs on the amp. I have done that before and also used a RCA splitter both worked. It was not with Emotiva stuff but I doubt that matters.

The only reason I went optical was my XDA-1 only has digital inputs and my Br player does not have coaxial output so it was my only choice. My next BR player will have more outputs.

The RCA to XLR cables work fine. I used them from the pre-outs on the HTR (RCA) to XLR on the active crossover for 2 CH, which made the HTR the pre-amp.

I wanted to separate the HTR from 2 CH so I got a XDA-1 to use as the 2 CH preamp, I just split the signal from the BR player straight into the XDA-1 and it sounds much better. Now 2 CH is, source--XDA-1---EV DX38 crossover---2 amps---speakers. Active crossover, true biamped, 2 way speakers, connected as simply as possible.