Which SVS sub??????????

Skow

I'm looking for suggestions on which SVS sub would best match up wth my RF 3II mains. I also have RC- 3II and RS-3....I am considering the CS seris or the pci series..my room is 18' by 24' with cathedral ceilings. It seems the SVS sub have the best BANG for the buck. I use my system for about 70% Home theater and 30% music. Thans for any help or suggestions...........

Well, what's your budget?

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Panasonic TX-36P500X (36" Direct View 16:9)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900V

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Let me first say that the sale going on right now at SVS is fantastic and you should seriously consider taking advantage of it.

I have the new 20-39PCi with the BASH amp. It is UNBELIEVABLE. The hype is very real and very accurate. It improved my entire system. Really. I'll never own another manufacturers sub. If this one dies I'll get another SVS.

Okay, now that I'm done gushing...

Read the FAQ at the SVS website for some general guidance on which sub is more appropriate for your listening tastes. If you want deep, physical bass and listen to a lot of organ music then the 16-46 is the one you want. If you want more punch in the mid-bass range then the 25-31 is probably better. The 20-39 is the best of both and not coincidently, the best selling model.

PC vs CS

I think that having an 'all-in-one' package is very attractive. No need for an external amp to put in the rack and just about every feature you could want is on the built in amp. SVS had them custom designed just for them and they reek of quality IMO.

The CS is attractive if you think that you might get another sub in the future. Let me tell you this. I sent Tom a copy of my floor plan with CF calculations. My room by itself is approx. 2000 CF but it opens up to another 2400 CF. I was really worried that one sub, PCi or CS, was not going to be enough. Tom thought that it would be as long as I didn't listen at reference.

He was right and wrong at the same time. Right in that one sub would be enough for the room, wrong in that I might not be able to listen to reference levels in that room at high SPL's. I can listen to ANYTHING I want at reference and be blasted out of the room. TS2, TPM, the THX ball explosion, The Haunting, etc. I can feel the floor plate shifting slightly from side to side! This would scare the hell out of me if I wasn't an architect and didn't know that it wasn't too big a deal.

So, what does all that babble mean? That I would be shocked if one PCi didn't satisfy your bass needs. I don't know how tall the cathedral is so that is a bit of an unknown factor. I'd say that if you are under the CF that I have (4400) then a 20-39 or 25-31PCi is going to be great.

Take advantage of the sale while you can. I bought mine when the price was $650 and I consider it to be worth every penny. The prices right now are ridiculously low!

PS Okay, Tom wasn't really wrong. I took a bit of a liberty with that for the sake of my commentary. Forgive me TV! cwm35.gif

This message has been edited by erdric on 06-13-2002 at 04:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys!!! As far as a budget goes KAiN64 I want to keep in under $1000 so I have a little room to play around with. Thanks for the info erdric my main listening will be in home theater use so deep pipe music will not come into play but I like the fact that the potential for that deep of a response is there also erdric the cathedral ceiling is 16'high in the center.Right now I am leaning towards the 20-39 PCi or the 16-46 PCi but still can't decide on which one......I want to make the purchase by this weekend but at least now I have narrowed it down Thanks again and hope to hear from others who own both of these or the CS series................

This message has been edited by Skow on 06-13-2002 at 08:09 PM

You have a fair amount of space to fill if the ceiling peaks at 16'. I guess that it might come down to 'do you want the bass to be loud or do you want to feel it more in the stomach?'. The 16-46 will give you more of the 'feel it in your stomach' bass but at the cost of a couple of decibels. You may want those db's given the amount of air you have to move. I don't know for sure. It might be that a dual 20-39 CS package with amp is the right way to go. At $1099 it's a little over your stated budget but it might be worth it.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_cs_20-39.htm

If you really want to go with a single sub for less than $1000 then you might want to get a PC-Plus. I think that the PC-Plus is coming out soon and that will be one hell of a sub. The 20-39PC-Plus is going for $750 I believe so it's well within your proposed budget.

There are a lot of options available and I think that I'm unable to cover all of the possibilities. It's best that you talk to a pro, that being Tom Vodhanel at SVS. He might stop by this thread and answer some of your questions. If not you should email him. Customer support at SVS is beyond first rate.

Good luck. No matter which SVS you get you are going to LOVE it!

This message has been edited by erdric on 06-13-2002 at 08:41 PM

One thing I have noticed erdric is in this message boad and over in Hometheaterforum.com that most people have the 25-31PCi or the 20-39PCi svs sub and not too many people mention the 16-46PCI sub..so I am leaning towards the 20-39PCi at this point....any thoughts why the 16-46PCI doesn't get mentioned too much????????

don't miss out on the summer sale! i saw it today... very tempting... do i make my own or buy theirs??? oh if only it were that simple Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Yeah Justin I know thats why I want to make my decision by the end of the weekend...but I'm a little apprehensive about the 16-46PCi not too many people mention it and I was leaning towards it so i would like some feedback from people that own it....I have narrowed my choices down to the 20-39PCI and the 16-46PCi but I can't listen to them to make a decision and so few people have anything to say about the 16-46PCI I'm indecisive about ordering it over the 20-39PCi....so I would like to hear from people that have the 16-46PCI and why the deeper bass is better over the 20-39PCi.My main use is for home theater over music about 70% home theater 30% music....my music taste run in music from Jazz (ie) Diana Krall and Bob James to Rock (Dave Matthews) but I listen to all types music (rock Jazz Classic Disco) but mainly the sub would be used for home theater.I listen at moderate levels so that also might be a concern.My budget is $1000 but goin over it wouldn't be an issue (ie if a cs series sub would be apporpiate) with future expansion in mind). Eventually I would be replacing the RF-3II with RF-7's but that is a ways down the line (upgradittes!!!!!!!) So any feedback or info in this area is welcome.........and as always any response is welcome you guys are the best since I've joined the Klipsch family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This message has been edited by Skow on 06-15-2002 at 01:32 AM

i don't think you could really go wrong. if you don't like them, just pay the shipping and you can exchange them, the SVS guys are swell ppl.

1000 bucks eh? ever thought about building your own? i am probably going to do that. right now i plan on dual SVS CS-Ultra's to go with 7 RF-7's for now only like $2000 instead of the what.. $2999 or way is $3700+?! normal price. but for my all home made listening setup i will build my own sono subs.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Skow - talk to SVS. They are straight shooters - they will give you honest answers about how SVS compares to other models, and what is needed for your room. I would not make a decision about your subs without discussing it with SVS first. Ask for, and get their opinions, before you buy. That room is a bit larger than normal (especially with cathedral ceilings). Another issue is whether or not the room has openings from it. IOW, does your theater room have doors or archways leading to other rooms outside the theater room, that cannot be closed off? If so, you'll need more sub, since those openings will cause you to lose some output.

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 06-15-2002 at 07:13 AM

I can only make a somewhat educated guess as to why you don't see as many 16-46's.

In a very simplified statement:

The 16-46 goes deep but not as loud.

The 25-31 goes loud but not as deep.

The 20-39 combines both qualities in a negligible compromise between the two.

The 20-39 is the most popular because of this ability to take the best of both the others.

Why is the 25-31 almost as popular as the 20-39. I'd say because it's so damn cheap. A lot of people that want an SVS but don't want or are unable to spend a lot on a sub will go for the cheapest model, the 25-31.

I don't know if this is a factor or not but these subs are BIG. The 20-39 is a real presence in my room and I imagine that the 16 could be overwhelming. Perhaps some wives complain about the possiblity of a 46" black tube in their living room.

So, that's my somewhat educated guess as to why the 16 is the least talked about sub. Only a guess, I don't have any idea how many 16's have actually been sold.

Email SVS. Email SVS. Email SVS. Smile.gif

This message has been edited by erdric on 06-15-2002 at 10:22 AM

Erdric has almost all the bases covered - the only thing I'd like to add is consideration of how deep you really need to go. There is very little significant HT (or other) content below 20 Hz, which explains why few people need (or buy) the 16-46 series. Unless you have unusual demands (e.g. pipe organ music listener), the 20-39 series or even the 25-31 series will be sufficient. Also, it is important to note that SVS subs do not just drop off immediately below the rated frequency point, thus you will still hear sounds well below the sub's rated frequency.

FYI - I just received my SVS 2531pci sub, and I am ecstatic at the performance. It blends perfectly with my Klipsch set, and I do not feel that I am missing much on the low end at all. My gut feel is 95% of people would be better off NOT taking the 16-46 series because of its' larger size, lower output, and greater cost.

But most importantly, you should get SVS's opinion - they are truly superb at e-mail communication! cwm16.gif

Yup, send SVS an e-mail. In my opinion, I think they have the best customer support out there. Smile.gif

Well done SVS! Smile.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: (Still deciding)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Arcam DV88

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

"But most importantly, you should get SVS's opinion - they are truly superb at e-mail communication!"

Yep you said it.SVS has so far the best service.No other company will take this much time to answer questions and provide clear answers.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Well thanks for all the replies it really cleared up any questions I had about SVS subs and it helped me make a decision as to which Sub best fitted my needs.I'm goin with the 20-39 PCi because it fits all my needs and the favorable reviews that it has gotten from everybody.Just hearing what everybody has said about SVS I feel confident that it is the best one for me.I'm goin to order it now and will let you guys know how it fits in with my system......again thanks for the feedback............My only regret is I had to go outside of Klipsch for a Sub!!!!!!!!!!!!! (cardinal what else is in your system as far as Klipsch products go?????)

This message has been edited by Skow on 06-17-2002 at 11:07 PM

Skow - I have the Klipsch Synergy series (SF-2 mains, SC-1 center and SS-1 surrounds) - maybe not quite as nice as what others here have, but for my budget, the best set out there! Like you, I wanted to stick with Klipsch, and started looking at Klipsch subs to complete the set. After a little research, it was pretty clear that SVS and HSU are the top dogs for subs in this price range. I went with SVS because I liked the PCi cylinder with integrated amp, plus they have a great summer sale going on! I also got lucky and snagged the 25-31PCi as a B-stock item (indistunguishable from new), which further helped on the cost.

SVS has truly world-class bass that should blend well with any of the Klipsch lines - I guarantee you won't be disappointed with a 20-39PCi! You may need to wait a bit for this sub - there was quite a backlog, as SVS got flooded with PCi orders earlier - but if so, there's a reason for this, and good things come to those who wait! Just make sure to post a review after your sub comes in - I love reading those "the first time I fired it up" stories (no lie, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.....)cwm30.gif

• 3 weeks later...

WOW>>>>>>>>.....It came yesterdey July 3rd and I set it up today July 4th......WHAT a sub.......the 1st movie we watched was "Black Hawk Down".The wife was goin to divorce me with that water heater in the living room...but a soon as we watched "Black Hawk Down" she was a BIG SVS fan!!!!!!!! If Donna is a SVS fan well this sub is the perfect compliment to my home theater goin.......you guys have got it goin right so keep up the good work and THANKS for the feedback I received thru this forum with my decision about the SubWoofer that would best compliment my Klipsch speakers you guys are the best.......

This message has been edited by Skow on 07-04-2002 at 10:20 PM