worth running a second sub to make up difference in going from 7.1 to 5.1

synergyfreak

Running a second sub in new house building because dont have the option of running side surround speakers, already going to be prewired for a second sub. To me right the rf-7's make up for lot of the sounds I was missing out on but since mostly blu rays and 3d movies i watch have more 7.1 soundtracks, the new setup will also have an rc-64, once finished, and in ceiling surrounds.

It all depends on the size of the room. A second sub is more for smoothing out the bass response in the room. It will add around 3 db of spl which is not much. If you stack them, it may add around 6 db. Remember, 2 small subs will not dig as deep as a much larger one if you are looking for low frequency extension. There is nothing like being able to move a lot of air for low frequency extension.

i am going from small 14x14 to a 20x20 room, main problem I am running into in small room the rf-7s over power my sub-12, and look at going with 2 sw-115's, already ordered rc-64 for new house, but feel like my 6 year old sub is aging or just need a bigger sub to make for extra power that have now. when had the rf-62's sub sounded perfect with them, not sure if this makes sense.

I would get two nice 12 in. subs or two 15 in. sub. The high amp power on some of the smaller sub is needed to try and makeup for the small cabinet size. What is your budget and time frame? I use a 12 and 15 inch sub with good results. Unless it is a really bad sub, it should be able to keep up with the 7's if integrated into the system. My subs are not the most expensive but, their performance is top notch considering the their price. One 15 in. Epik Empire as more output than 2 Epik Legend 12 in. subs. So driver size is important.

I really like the epik subs, since new house will be pre-wired for a second sub, a 15 and a 12 would be perfect; I just think my sub-12 is aging and going on 6 years old and is slowly dieing. I really dont want to go over 2k since already had to order rc-64 II for new house since it matches my rf-7s' better.

Sw-311 is a joke compared to the others mentioned. Two hsu vtf-15h's would do the trick with power to spare. Two pb-12nsd would keep you under budget. Two sw-115 would keep you way under budget. Or if you didn't have room for duals one pb-13 ultra will dominate. My one was crazy step up over my old rsw-10d's. I only bought a second because I have OCD and one sub looks funny without a buddy on the other side lol.

just not sure if running two sub 12's will get it done

Yes they can! I have an open concept floor plan which is quiet large, the family room is roughly 4000 cf. I use a 12 and a 15 in sub and no problems with bass, sometimes more than I like. I am not a bass head but, I can get 110 db at -10 to -13 on the avr in movies at my seat which is not close to the subs/speakers. To be honset, I don't like listening to movies near reference level, just way to loud. The real theater is not that loud, lol. In a multi-channel system you will get some extra spl due to the number of speakers in the room.

• 1 month later...