DUAL 1239A Restoration

germerikan

How did you go about cutting out the opening for the table.

I got a diagram from the German Dual website with the layout. It was a small tiff and I just exploded it to the right size and had the cut I needed. Than used a 10mm drillbit on the curves and jigsaw for everything else. Where the feet go in I used a 20mm bit and routered them out to 21mm with my Dremel, fits perfectly.

If anyone else has a Dual with the 3 feet I can upload the PDF I made it is 1:1 and if you print it out by a copyshop with a large printer it makes it much easier. Luckily we make the software for these printers and I have one (actually several) at work.[:D]

I know the vinyl engine has them as well, I was trying to find a way to print it at the right size. You did such a good job cutting it I thought you used a cnc mill. Nice work I cant wait to see the final product.

Thanks this is my first plinth.

Just go to a copy shop and they can print it on a larg format printer should not be to expensive. If it is the same one that I have you have to scale it to 201% you could also PM me and I could give you the 1:1 it came out perfect and is the right size for all Duals with 3 feet.

Here was todays work.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tomorrow or Monday I will be sanding 2 or 3 times and getting ready for finish.

After Christmas I will be buying a 1019, but I will be putting it in a Bozak cabinet. Which I will remove the old turn table mount and put a beefier 1" thick piece of maple in place. I must say that plinth is coming along nicely, can't wait to see your finish.

• 2 weeks later...

So it is done,

The oil/wax mixture is from osmo. Nice sheen
and the wood still feels like wood.

I have changed the corners a little since the spaces at the joints were annoying me.
Posted Image

Here is the finish, I like it a lot more in person.
Posted Image

Connectors here
Posted Image

Here is the internal wiring, cable from sommer cable
Posted Image

Well that is about all for now, I still have to get spikes for it and a phono amp. The spikes will be from
Viablue, the black QTC
Posted Image

The phono amp I am looking at is the Musical Fidelity V-LPSII supposed to be real good for around 150€
Posted Image

You are welcome!!

It is finally at home with all the trimmings

Here it is playing Brothers in Arms

8352982807_3d8d6980f3_z.jpg

Note on the Musical Fidelity V-LPSII. If you are on a budget and want to try a phono stage which does not break the bank this is the one!! Dead quiet and gives a really nice playback. Not to warm but is definately an Analog sound. I am very happy with this purchace.

[:D] Thanks!!

The corners were an eueka moment. I am a bad woodworker and the corners were not flush so I took some 3mm copper plate and made some inlays. I just had to Dremel the corners down a little. Now it looks good. The feet are from Viablue, not that cheap but it sits well, you do not have to sneak around so the LP does not skip and they look cool!

Yeah I like the in wall stuff. My wife hates cables so when we renovated I asked the guy that did our drywall to make these shelves for us. They are accessable from the hallway on the other side and everything looks neat. I will be changing this though to one big hole with a cabinet inserted and adjustable shelves. Then I have more possibilities with different sizes.