Thoughts on oppo purchase

MechMan

Hey everyone. I am seriously considering the new oppo 103 to replace my PS3. Question is this, my main use for it would be as a media server.

I am aware it is much more than that and that is what is leading me to the purchase. I like the fact that I can run my cable box through it via hdmi. that lets me watch some of the better shows on the projector.

I guess what I am asking is what would you do. I am 2 channel only right now with no 3d. May expand in the future but I'm in no hurry as my 2 channel even for movies sounds great to us.

Anyone ever compare the DAC in these to the tubedac-09, that would be another plus if it bests it.

It would be something like 40% streaming 40% music and 20% BDP

Appriciate your insight.

Mec, the strength of the DAC is in the 5 series Oppos. The 95 and 105 being the most recent. Both the 95 and 105 have analog stereo outs, and have the highest quality DACs available.

Here is a link to the white paper on the 95 amd 105 DACS. http://www.esstech.com/PDF/sabrewp.pdf

More on the DAC: http://www.esstech.com/PDF/SABRE32%20Reference%20PB%20Rev%200.61%20120726.pdf

I just went from a PS3 to a 103 and you can read my review from the link in my sig. Keep in mind that the oppo does not have much internal hard drive space, so using it as a server may not work for you unless you are going to plug an external into it thru the USB or unless you have an external on your network that you can go thru. So far I have not had any trouble playing any file types which I can't say the same about the PS3, although the PS3 was better than XBox...

Well shoot.

I really want the analog out, but the price is out of reach right now. I wonder if it's still worth all the other features if I just continue to use my tubedac as the analog out to my system.

I really like how I can have dual hdmi in and out without the need for an extra box. I really do want to eliminate the PS3 without having to use 2 peices to do the job of 1.

[^o)]

You could try and find a used 95. Not sure what the 103 has

that the 95 doesn’t? I also just got the 103 and wow I’m really happy with it. I

get blu rays in the mail from Netflix so it gets some pretty beat up discs tossed

at it (plays all of them so far). The ps3 has been a great machine and has

served me well for the last 6 years. It just can’t hang with the oppo from top

to bottom. The oppo is so fast and smooth I Love it.

Agree with reference_head,

I own the older BDP-83 and it has been fantastic! Great picture/fantastic sound and loads very quickly. I have not felt a need to upgrade this at all.

Oppo makes a fine product....and, when emailing them a question, they answer unbelievably fast too! Product and support would be very hard to beat.

Take care,

Mike

Well shoot.

I really want the analog out, but the price is out of reach right now. I wonder if it's still worth all the other features if I just continue to use my tubedac as the analog out to my system.

I really like how I can have dual hdmi in and out without the need for an extra box. I really do want to eliminate the PS3 without having to use 2 peices to do the job of 1.

Hmm

The 103 still has analog outs, it's just that the 105s DACs are better. $500 better? I'll never know.

The 103 still has analog outs, it's just that the 105s DACs are better. $500 better? I'll never know.

The problem I see with using the 105 is to take advantage of it, you would have to bypass your receiver's room correction technology. It's a trade-off and I am not sure it's worth it for that reason.

Thanks for all the info guys.

I sent Andrew at Solutions (my local oppo dist) an email and asked if he is familiar with the tubedac and what he thinks about my idea. I am fairly certain I am gonna go for it.

Now what to do with my big fat PS3 [^o)]