Emotiva UMC-200

Rivernuggets

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh! My order did come today via FedEx. However, I was sleeping at the time & instead got a notice stuck to the door.

I was expecting the FedEx guy, then he caught me off guard and nearly scared me to death when he blasted on the door.

The first thing I did to actually listen to the UMC-200, (didn't have a HDMI cable yet) was hook it up to my '97 Rega Planet via digital coax cable. The ol' Rega doesn't have a optical output.

The UMC-200 was connected to a Sonance Sonamp 275X3...a no frills 3 zone amplifier which is actually a real sleeper. The Sonance to a pair of '83 Cornwalls, with K51 drivers, CT-125 tweeters, Crites replacement woofers, and rebuilt crossovers by me using Sonicaps, Jantzen, and whatever else is in there.

I didnt do any EQ adjustment or EmQ calibration, I just listened in direct and stereo.

Out of the box the unit sounded a little bright on top and dry, but keep in mind this was with no EQ. Over time this dry bright sort of sound faded off as the unit (or my ears) warmed up. I then went and found a HDMI cable, and ran the cable from the Smart TV HDMI ARC connection, to the UMC-200 HDMI ARC connection.

I watched TV and listened for about 6 hours, enjoying the fact that I can use a remote to listen to sources with volume control. I then ran the EmoQ calibration with just the Cornwalls, which just a matter of hitting "enter" a few times and reading the results.

The EmoQ did a good job of making the speakers sound better from the listening position, more balanced and easier on the ears. I need to do a bit more research on how this EmoQ thing works, with the Q/frequency adjustments.

This is when I realized I could hook up my subwoofers with just a matter of connecting one balanced XLR cable. I have a pair of SVS 16/46 CS series with a Mackie FR2500 amplifier that has the fan mod. With the amp set to mono, it'll run both subwoofers. Though I wish there were two XLR sub outs on the UMC-200, I can try the unbalanced route if need be. Another 300 bucks for another XLR sub out ain't worth it.

I didn't use the EmoQ yet with the subwoofers hooked up, I just lashed them in after calibrating the Cornwalls.

It's a handy device, that sounds rather good. You can't expect a whole heckuva lot for 600 bucks...

Watching 1080 HD videos on you tube, (like Die Antwoord, or Ke$ha...pant, pant!) really bumps hard and looks good.

I can live with this...Mike.

From reading the reviews and forums posts, it really seems I need to learn how to run the friggin' thing...

Nonetheless, I'm happy with the pre/pro for what I needed. My Rega Planet CD player does seem to sound best using the analog outputs to the analog inputs of the UMC-200, using the Rega's internal DAC. There isn't much difference however, the Emotiva DAC just seems a bit more "dry" in sound. That's just my ears however...

HD music videos can sound amazing.

post-6643-13819827796788_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I was curious as to how the Emotiva UMC-200 pre/pro would sound with a tube amp. So I went ahead and connected a modified single-ended 6BQ5 Magnavox console amplifer after the pre/pro for the Cornwalls.

I'm doing 2.1 with Corns for mains, using two SVS 16/46 CS series in mono with a Mackie FR2500 amplfier.

The subs and mains are crossed over at 40Hz. I have no complaints about the SQ of using this SS pre/pro in front of tube amplfier...the tube amp sound is still there, with the flexibility that a preamplfier processor offers.

A tweek here and there with the input gain and the subs, and things sound rather sweet!

Mike