Opinions on Onkyo TX-NR809 with K-horns

tromprof

I need some opinions. I am looking to get a receiver for movies in my basement. I don't want to spend a fortune and have nice tubes for music. I have K-horns for left and right and a La Scala for center. Eventually I would like to pick up a pair of Heresy for the surround. Any opinions on the Onkyo TX-NR809? Amazon has a good price on it and Onkyo seems to get good reviews here. The receiver is loaded and seems like it should meet my needs for some time to come, I am a little concerned about sound quality though.

Oh boy! Um.....in my opinion, I think you are going to be disappointed. I think since you have such awesome speakers, you need to go with components (pre/pro/amps/etc). I just went to an all McIntosh setup from my old Yamaha and there is no comparison, period. You get what you pay for. That being said, this AVR could be a good start for now, and then at some later time buy an 5 or 7 channel amp down the road when money permits. I think you can do better, but then again that's my opinion, and its just like a-holes, everybody has one! :)

I wish I could help you out more - all I've got is an Onkyo preamp, and I have zero problems or compliants with it. I use it 100% of the time when my setup is on. This is one of the better investments that I've made (PR-SC886). I've not heard any sonic issues with this preamp.

I know that there is a tendency by some around these parts to denigrate multi-channel preamps for their main rigs, but I'm not one of them (see my setup in profile). In fact, I see issues with NOT using them, including having to use analog connections from disk players ( [N] ), not being able to correct using in-room Audyssey measurements for channel balance, channel delay, channel EQ, add crossover subwoofer(s), and not being able to hear multi-channel output on higher-end audio disks, including multi-channel SACDs, DVD-As, as well as BDs. Two-channel-only is actually the problem, IMHO.

The only comment I would make is to look closely at the Onkyo's amplifier output section, if you can get any information on its topology (i.e., class AB, class D, how many amplifier stages, etc.) and see what kind of amplifier design is used.

Of course, a backup approach is to use an AVP and external power amps, which I use myself. That way, you can separate amplifier issues from pre-amp issues, thus increasing flexibility of the setup for future needs. I've gone through a couple of amplifier upgrades since I invested in the preamp.

Chris

I use an H/K avr and I am quite happy even for stereo music. I'd eventually like to try something with Audyssey, but currently eq my sub using a miniDSP (and REW to measure). Your system will be similar to mine. What will you use as sub?

I use an H/K avr and I am quite happy even for stereo music. I'd eventually like to try something with Audyssey, but currently eq my sub using a miniDSP (and REW to measure). Your system will be similar to mine. What will you use as sub?

I have a home built Cinema F-20 sub. What interests me about me about the Onkyo is Audessey and all of the other electronic gizmos. I guess the thing I am asking is the amp section ok, or even with the gizmos will it sound dull/stupid/boring/undetailed/etc. I really like my tubes but there is no way I can afford an all tube 5.1 for movies.

The Cinema F-20 sub is a great match! You'll have a great system!

The KHorns have an easy impedance curve so odds are the receiver will be fine; otherwise you can always add a separate amp later on (but i doubt you'll feel the need). Will it sound dull/stupid/boring/undetailed? It wouldn't for me.

Thanks for all of the opinions! I think I am going to give this a try. I am going to wait another 24hours to before hitting buy on Amazon to think it through but with Prime shipping and returns are easy so I don't have a lot to loose so long as SWMBO doesn't se the box arrive. One of the pleasures of having the main rig in the basement is I can tweak to my hearts content and not have to explain where the new stuff came from. [:D]