Onkyo TX-NR809 - Issue?

kapsnb01

i think my 809 might be going back to Amazon. I'm having what I think it's hdmi issues. It seems when I'm watching a source other than cable/sat source, or tv/receiver is off, and then I try to turn on cable/sat source, the receiver won't do it. The tv says no source connected. I usually have to turn the receiver off and then back on just to get signal. Today marks one week with this receiver, so I don't have much faith with this thing long term. It's also flashing onkyo on the screen and switching sources on its own every once and awhile. Now to find a replacement. Don't think I want to try another 809 after reading about all the issues and my own experience. Sucks cuz I got this at a super price on Amazon. Hard to find something comparable at the price I paid. Thinking about denon or marantz from accessories for less, but worried about refurbs and some of the stories I've read concerning A4L. Also interested in the Pioneer 1222k mentioned in another thread in this forum. Problem with that is I read no 12v trigger. I plan on using external amps in the future and not having the 12v seems like it would be a hassle.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm....a lesser Denon for twice the price?? That would truly suck. I think I would buy something local so I could return it easy if I had issues. Or....get another Onkyo, my 809 works great and is actually the best Onkyo of ten I ever owned.For music it's really not too bad at all, better than several Denons I owned.

i think my 809 might be going back to Amazon. I'm having what I think it's hdmi issues. It seems when I'm watching a source other than cable/sat source, or tv/receiver is off, and then I try to turn on cable/sat source, the receiver won't do it. The tv says no source connected. I usually have to turn the receiver off and then back on just to get signal. Today marks one week with this receiver, so I don't have much faith with this thing long term. It's also flashing onkyo on the screen and switching sources on its own every once and awhile. Now to find a replacement. Don't think I want to try another 809 after reading about all the issues and my own experience. Sucks cuz I got this at a super price on Amazon. Hard to find something comparable at the price I paid. Thinking about denon or marantz from accessories for less, but worried about refurbs and some of the stories I've read concerning A4L. Also interested in the Pioneer 1222k mentioned in another thread in this forum. Problem with that is I read no 12v trigger. I plan on using external amps in the future and not having the 12v seems like it would be a hassle.

hdmi issues are not Onkyo issues, google hdmi with any manufactures name and see what comes up. Lots

the recent crop of Onkyos seem more prone, 809 in particular.

I have a 708, 809 and 818. the 809 is on a shelf without hdmi and the other 2 work perfect.

I am not defending Onkyo, just saying it can be luck of the draw sometimes.

my 809 did the same things your does.

could be part of the reason they are getting blown out cheap,

so if you buy one, make sure it is from a dealer that

will warranty it.

I guess it's just another example of mass produced technology that's not yet perfected. Just a shame that the blowout price could be in relation to this. Instead of making a solid piece of equipment, let's just send it out and use the paying public as beta testers. Not saying this is just onkyo, just the world we live in. Anyway, I've been looking at the marantz sr5007. Thoughts? I'll end up paying more, but I've always had interest in marantz. I know it has less power than the 809, but my future plans always incorporated an external amp......eventually.......hopefully

I had a Marantz 6005, hated it, sent it back, cost me $25, glad to be rid of it, good luck. I did get a nice Marantz T-shirt, I returned the 6005 but they sent me another, and refunded my money.I sent them an email telling them, so they gave me a T -shirt. I gave it to my son that has my 30+ year old Marantz, still sounding great.

I would not worry about ac4less, I have been 110% happy with a dozen or more items from them.Some refurbs, looked like new and never a problem, at least for me. For people with more than the usual issues local buying is always best.

Having owned many Marantz products over decades I expected it to sound really good, for sure with music. After several days and every setting possible I could not really enjoy the sound. It just sounded generic, boring, much worse than the HK it would have replaced.To be honest it sounded more like a Denon than a Marantz.Not that Denon is bad, just nothing special, boring sound with music.That's all just my opinion, others may love it, we all hear different.

To be honest I don't think the 809 currently has issues.Onkyo put out notice last year some units had a bad board, listing numbers.I could be wrong but mine works great, the one thats been at a local store on for a year works fine.

I checked the site to see if my unit was one that was under recall. Put in my serial number and it said mine was okay. Not sure if this is what you're referring to, but there is definitely something wrong with mine. On AVS, 809 thread people seem to link hdmi issue to overheating. I constantly check my 809 for heat (just by touching) and it is barely ever even warm let alone hot.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the Onkyo gave up the ghost this morning while my daughter was watching her cartoons. I suspect the HDMI board failed, as it started flashing Onkyo on the screen and then the screen would get all goofy. Seemed fairly similar to some of the concerns that I had read from others on the AVS forum page.

It's really too bad as it's a dynamite receiver, and at the $427 I paid for it, there's no way the power and features can be matched. But, reliability is a major problem and all the pluses are no good to me when it doesn't work consistently. I'll fiddle with it tonight when I get home from work, but I suspect that it will be going back to Amazon and I'll just sit tight with my Yamaha for a while. Major disappointment...

Sorry to hear that man, its a bummer for sure. Good luck with sending it back. I dunno if this experience has soured you on Onkyo, but if it hasn't the 818 has been treating me just fine. No hiccups or complaints to date, and has many, if not all the features of the 809 plus MultiEQ XT32 room correction.

Sorry to hear that man, its a bummer for sure. Good luck with sending it back. I dunno if this experience has soured you on Onkyo, but if it hasn't the 818 has been treating me just fine. No hiccups or complaints to date, and has many, if not all the features of the 809 plus MultiEQ XT32 room correction.

Yeah, I don't think I'll ask Amazon to send out another 809, due to the experience and the widespread board issues, but I'll likely buy another Onkyo at some point. Haven't really given much thought as to what I'll get as a replacement so far, but the 818 is one I'll likely consider. Will probably hold tight for a while and wait for some of the current models to go on close-out before jumping back into a new AVR.