Onkyo TX-NR809 - Issue?

kapsnb01

Hey guys -

I'm slowly in the process of building a home theater system and have a couple "what would you do" questions. At present, my system is smaller with an older DLP TV (as you can see in my signature). What I'd like to eventually do is move the RF 62s to the rear and replace with either some 63/83/7ii's and the corresponding center. That isn't going to happen overnight, unfortunately. I have an older JBL sub, as well, that I'm looking to eventually upgrade. I'm also looking in the next few weeks to replace the older TV with a Panasonic plasma (probably ST50 series). Long-winded...but to the point (and the thread title)...I have a Yamaha RXV667 that I need to take in for a warranty repair (not pushing sound to the center channel). The Onkyo is now $449 at Amazon...is it worth buying the Onkyo and moving the Yamaha, when fixed, to the family room. Or what would you do? Focus on a sub?

The 809 has me intrigued due to it's price, the ability to eventually add on an external amp, and the (at least in my mind) perception of being a large step up from my current Yamaha. With it and the new TV, maybe something to build a system around?

Sorry for the rambling...I'm just not sure what the best way to go is at this point and I know you guys will have some great ideas. Thanks for any input! Brian

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Onkyo is now $449 at Amazon...is it worth buying the Onkyo and moving the Yamaha, when fixed, to the family room.

I think an 809 for $449.00 is a great deal and would be a a clear step up in modern features including networking capabilities, 3D, and quality video processing(4K upscaling if need be in future). With that low price, it shouldn't take any time to save up for a better subwoofer.

Bill

How does the 809 compare to the 818?

818 @ 679.00 vs. 809 @ 449.50

Nearly identical specs and weight so if Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is worth the additional cost plus having the newest model, I guess it comes down to personal desire.

Edit: I have not heard the 818 but have listened to the 809 and was quite impressed with RF-82II's

Just pulled the trigger also. Too good of a value to pass up for the specs it has. Will be here after Christmas so I've certainly got something to look forward to on the 26th! Do those onkyos generally work well with an external amp? That is, do they usually integrate well?

Just pulled the trigger also. Too good of a value to pass up for the specs it has. Will be here after Christmas so I've certainly got something to look forward to on the 26th! Do those onkyos generally work well with an external amp? That is, do they usually integrate well?

Uh-oh. Looks like I'm going to be getting a private message soon! [:)] Let me know if you need any help setting it up Brian. I'd be glad to stop over and lend a hand.

Uh-oh. Looks like I'm going to be getting a private message soon! Smile Let me know if you need any help setting it up Brian. I'd be glad to stop over and lend a hand.

Hey wuzz...that's funny, I was waiting for you to chime in! Yeah, the Yamaha took a dump on me here...so, when I saw this deal it was too tempting to pass up. Figure that once the Yamaha gets fixed I can move it into the family room where it won't be used as much. So, once I get the Christmas tree out fo the room and everything set back up again, I'll give it a whirl. I'm sure I'll be sending you a PM in early January offering beer for help! [:D]

Brac - thanks for the info, was actually able to cancel my order and re-order at the lower price. A great deal gets better...something tells me if I waited a couple more days, it might even be cheaper since it's dropped for a few days straight. Oh well, a really good deal regardless!

Bill & Fish - thanks for the advice...I'm sure I'll have more questions as it goes. Appreciate your opinion!

I saw that, amazon may or may not price adjust.If you buy with a card though many have 90 day lowest price policy, Discover for sure.

On the purchase, I don't know how you could go wrong under $450 (if it works).I think you made a good buy.

Well, got mine on Christmas Eve and finally had a chance to get it all hooked up yesterday. Works flawlessly with the DVR/Cable box, but does not output video from the BluRay player or my new Apple TV. Both are hooked up to the receiver via HDMI and I have the same HDMI to DVI cable running from the receiver to the TV (yes, TV is really that old [:$]). Can't for the life of me figure out why I get sound but not video from the other 2 components...Blu Ray is hooked up with the same cable as I used on the old Yamaha, so it should work. Ran through the troubleshooting and everything. Got a message in to Onkyo support since I didn't feel like waiting on hold for their estimated "110 minutes" last night. Any thoughts/ideas? I'm stumped...especially since the cable box/DVR works just fine...

Thanks!

Well, got mine on Christmas Eve and finally had a chance to get it all hooked up yesterday. Works flawlessly with the DVR/Cable box, but does not output video from the BluRay player or my new Apple TV. Both are hooked up to the receiver via HDMI and I have the same HDMI to DVI cable running from the receiver to the TV (yes, TV is really that old Embarrassed). Can't for the life of me figure out why I get sound but not video from the other 2 components...Blu Ray is hooked up with the same cable as I used on the old Yamaha, so it should work. Ran through the troubleshooting and everything. Got a message in to Onkyo support since I didn't feel like waiting on hold for their estimated "110 minutes" last night. Any thoughts/ideas? I'm stumped...especially since the cable box/DVR works just fine...

Thanks!

I have an 809 sitting on a shelf in my garage with a bad Hdmi board.

I bought it used, so no warranty.

You may have already done so, but swap the blueray cable to the dvr/cable input plug and see if it

works there,[with a cable you are 100% sure is good]. It should work there.

Also, check the input/output assignment options in setup. Make sure the Hdmi inputs are setup correctly.

I can order a new board for mine for about $200. The last trouble shooting task that

I need to do is reseat the hdmi board in the unit, it can be a bad internal connection as well.

Good luck, great unit if it works