Windows Vista Optimization Question

tigerwoodKhorns

I have a spare Vista Laptop that I just received. It is loaded with spyware and probably viruses and is really slow. The computer was made in 2007. I want to reinstall Vista and use this laptop for one purpose, to stream pandora and MOG and music from my server to a DAC.

I found vLite that allows you to remove al of the extra things that you do not use from the fat and bloated Vista OS. I was thinking that I can create a c drive with a streamlined version of vista, and then a d drive with the 15 gig full version if I ever need it and an E drive for files (if any, maybe some music)

Here is vLite:

http://www.vlite.com/

Any computer pros out there that can comment on this? I know enough to be dangerous so please don't bombard me with highly technical things, I already know that you know much more than me on this subject.

Here is a forum that I found, but have not read yet:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/121477-vlite-v12-final-rapidcatched/

If this works, I think that many here can use this as an inexpensive way of reliably streaming music. Thanks.

If you can lay your hands on a legal copy of XP (not too hard these days) that's the way I'd go. Even "fully optimized" Vista is still a pig. Just no way around it. Unless you're prepared to throw a LOT of memory in the laptop XP will out perform Vista for the tasks you stated.

Out of the 6 PCs in regular use in my house 4 are still happily running XP and 2 are running Windows 7.

Windows 8 is Vista reincarnate and doomed to go down the tubes like Vista did in my opinion.

if it is "loaded with spyware and viruses" you need to replace the hard drive and then run Norton on it to ensure nothing bad has stayed in ROM. I concur with the advice to install XP. I have Win 7 at home on my PC (my main 'puter is a Mac) and also at work and it's OK, but XP is still the best Win version ever.

if it is "loaded with spyware and viruses" you need to replace the hard drive and then run Norton on it to ensure nothing bad has stayed in ROM.

Well, it is very slow to boot and is just plain slow overall. I am assuming that she get somethign on the computer. But I have not tried to use it yet, it may be that it is an early Vista machine and the computer is not up to the task.